Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Smaller SUV-type vehicle wanted

We're looking at relocating a little way down SH1 to Te Kauwhata, a move which brings as many problems as it does benefits. Hopefully the new problems are smaller...

At present, I have a daily round trip for work of around 230km. It's not a bad drive, but the first part of the journey includes an extended period travelling at 50km/h through Papakura and Drury, with attendent fast-asleep lorry drivers, traffic lights, poor lane discipline, and general dodginess. Not stuff which set you up for the day. And, of course, I get the same thing coming home, too.

Moving to TK significantly reduces my journey time, from a current 1h20-1h30 down to about 40 minutes in each direction.

Mrs GJM transports Miss GJM and an overseas student who stays with us to school. Current journey is about 18km and at least 20 minutes in each direction - they, too, have to run the Papakura gauntlet. (Actually, P'kura isn't so bad. It's just a bit slow going.)

This journey is going to increase to a potential 100km round trip twice a day, although we're hoping she'll get work nearer the school.

We'll be living in a fairly rural area, and may have some grazing beasties to look after until they are fit to stock our freezer.

So, Mrs GJM's old VW Polo 1.6 is unlikely to be smiled upon for long. She will want something more suited to 40+ kms of SH1 driving.

The obvious answer, to her at least, is for me to drive the Polo to Hamilton and back, and for her to drive my 320d. Reluctantly, I can see the sense in this, but I'm not about to admit it to her.

My first thought was a Land Rover Freelander 2.0 TD4, as apart from anything else, it runs the same engine as the 320d. It's economical enough to be sensible, and practical enough to be useful. It could fit the bill, and either of us could drive it (I suppose).

So, perhaps it is an option.

Any alternatives in a similar theme?

Or, perhaps I should just sell the Polo (let's say it's worth $2k), find a few bucks extra (and it would be a few!), and buy something cheap and <ahem> 'fun' for my trip to work? The only downside to this is that the Polo is/was set to become Miss GJM's wheels in a couple of years.

Sadly an M5 is just out of budget... So please try to keep suggestions to moderately sensible ideas! (OK Phil - that probably won't include you... ;) )

• Like 1

Give her the 320 d or a similar highly (safety) rated sedan.

Smaller SUV's are a crap commute for any real distance ( poor drive dynamics) and have dubious safety performance in real crashes.

It's a fair point. And I could easily be travelling less kms per day than Mrs GJM will be.

how about this, hold on to the polo until you can get a DERV Touring 5.

A M-Sport 530D Touring would be lovely. Might be a while... :( We're supposed to be saving for a deposit for a house!

At least if Mrs GJM has the 320d, you won't get the milage up too high on it :lol:

A lot of those "smaller SUV's" are like Ron says (actually, he was being PC... he meant CRAP! ;) ) And like most SUV's, their assumed safety isn't actually a reality, because of the handling/dynamics (plus they're no "tougher" than a car, usually).

They can also be less economical than you'd assume. A friend had a 1995 4.0 Falcon GLi. She drove nearly as far as you each day, and "upgraded" to a 2004 Toyota Rav4, 2.4. On average (mostly open road, bare in mind) it used 30% MORE gas than the Falcon! She's since gone to a Mondeo, which is slightly better than the Falcon was.

• Like 1

Depends on how much u are willing to spend.

Diesels are not that much cheaper once RUC's are taken into account.

An E46 318i can be had for not much and would be reasonably reliable and certainly more comfy than a polo.

I've seen a W124 merc for about $4k. That would be my pick for an everyday long distance cruiser. Utterly reliable but not cheap to maintain.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least if Mrs GJM has the 320d, you won't get the milage up too high on it :lol:

A lot of those "smaller SUV's" are like Ron says (actually, he was being PC... he meant CRAP! ;) ) And like most SUV's, their assumed safety isn't actually a reality, because of the handling/dynamics (plus they're no "tougher" than a car, usually).

They can also be less economical than you'd assume. A friend had a 1995 4.0 Falcon GLi. She drove nearly as far as you each day, and "upgraded" to a 2004 Toyota Rav4, 2.4. On average (mostly open road, bare in mind) it used 30% MORE gas than the Falcon! She's since gone to a Mondeo, which is slightly better than the Falcon was.

It's a little late for the high mileage thing! Actually, it's more like a badge of honour... How far can it go? :)

Mrs GJM will likely be driving more kms than me if we move to TK.

Depends on how much u are willing to spend.

Diesels are not that much cheaper once RUC's are taken into account.

An E46 318i can be had for not much and would be reasonably reliable and certainly more comfy than a polo.

I've seen a W124 merc for about $4k. That would be my pick for an everyday long distance cruiser. Utterly reliable but not cheap to maintain.

Willing to spend - lots! Able to spend... That's another matter! :( Sadly, 'not much' fits best.

I'd really like another Touring, but they tend to go for more money than we can currently spend. A W124 Merc would work - I've had several of those. Parts can be expensive, but like BMWs, provided you plan what you need they can be sourced economically, albeit from overseas.

Hmmm, you wanted a sensible idea from me.............??? How bout this - keep the vehicles you've got, who-ever is going longest distance on a day takes the might diesel wagon, & umm, buy yourself a motorbike for using on the fine days - ya know ya wanna............ ;):)

Like, a proper motorbike, not some sorta tractor like a Harley........... ;)

Edit - In terms of Freelanders, I personally wouldn't pi$$ on one to warm up its wheels.............however if you do get one, get one with sunroofs. ;) Then when it dies, ya can full it up with horse-$hit & use it as a glass-house for growing tomatoes etc.......... ;)

Edited by Blue-540i
  • Like 3

+1 get a R1100\1150 or something.

Hmmm, you wanted a sensible idea from me.............??? How bout this - keep the vehicles you've got, who-ever is going longest distance on a day takes the might diesel wagon, & umm, buy yourself a motorbike for using on the fine days - ya know ya wanna............ ;):)

Like, a proper motorbike, not some sorta tractor like a Harley........... ;)

Edit - In terms of Freelanders, I personally wouldn't pi$$ on one to warm up its wheels.............however if you do get one, get one with sunroofs. ;) Then when it dies, ya can full it up with horse-$hit & use it as a glass-house for growing tomatoes etc.......... ;)

+1 get a R1100\1150 or something.

But... But... But... I might have to drive a 1998 4-door VW Polo 1.6 automatic along 40km of SH1!!! :o:wacko:

I have been looking at bikes. Suzuki GS1000 (I used to race one), or maybe an air-cooled GSXR-1100? (I commuted from Norwich to Paddington, London in the UK on one - never quite got below the hour for the trip, but it was 124 miles... :D ) A Yamaha FJ1200? Or there is a BMW R1100RT sitting idle next door?

Not yet but im looking at getting something sometime soon. One of first road bikes i ever rode was a GSXR 600, it was damn scary having that much power compared to the farm bikes i was used to. My old man is been fixing up an old '87 GSX750 which im looking forward trying.

But... But... But... I might have to drive a 1998 4-door VW Polo 1.6 automatic along 40km of SH1!!! :o:wacko:

Dark tint windows........nobody'll see ya............ ;)