Sign in to follow this  
2052NV

South island epic track day tour

Play day on track are organizing a south island “tour” of all 4 race tracks including the new highlands motorsport park in Cromwell in late March. Now it’s already totally sold out.

So I was wondering if anyone on here got in??

Here is a quick itinerary I sorted out this morning, should be a decent road trip for a 22yo Peugeot :roll:/>

It’s going to be roughly 3880km's and that’s only touring and not the actual track days (4 of). Should be and epic trip!

Based on getting about 440km's on a $110 tank of 98 gas plus an extra 4 tanks for track days I’m estimating $1400 ish on fuel

I just signed up for 1 year AA plus cover which gets me a tow from anywhere in the country with loan cars and accommodation etc, plus at least 4c a liter of fuel which should hopefully add up to a decent saving.

Here is the rough route map

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Auckland,+New+Zealand&daddr=-39.0581874,175.3770127+to:Picton,+Marlborough,+New+Zealand+to:Nelson,+New+Zealand+to:Westport,+West+Coast,+New+Zealand+to:Hokitika,+West+Coast,+New+Zealand+to:Queenstown,+Otago,+New+Zealand+to:Invercargill,+Southland,+New+Zealand+to:Queenstown,+Otago,+New+Zealand+to:Cromwell,+Otago,+New+Zealand+to:Queenstown,+Otago,+New+Zealand+to:-44.1896265,170.2963756+to:Timaru,+Canterbury,+New+Zealand+to:Christchurch,+Canterbury,+New+Zealand+to:Heritage+Hanmer+Springs,+Heritage+Hanmer+Springs,+1+Conical+Hill+Rd,+Hanmer+Springs+7334,+New+Zealand+to:Picton,+Marlborough,+New+Zealand+to:Auckland,+New+Zealand&hl=en&ll=-41.47566,177.055664&spn=14.379912,33.815918&sll=-44.170385,171.1203&sspn=1.721814,4.22699&geocode=FbS8zf0dRK1qCin75pxa-0cNbTEXmaJDYe8ABQ%3BFfUErP0ddAp0CimpfhTfmBBrbTFdy5b2Bay-Jg%3BFZ_0if0dbAtfCikFONSk6iY5bTFgoXmEhu8ABQ%3BFZhCiv0dfRpUCil9LreRxOw7bTGApJbniO8ACg%3BFWbggv0dgn86Cin1KwlDyGwlbTHQw3mEhu8ABQ%3BFUcvdP0dD74wCilzv0UQFzsvbTGAd3mEhu8ABQ%3BFQbhUP0ddJYNCilf3qjX8R3VqTEApnmEhu8ABQ%3BFX3KO_0d7d8ICinXaRSslMTSqTEgpJbniO8ACg%3BFQbhUP0ddJYNCilf3qjX8R3VqTEApnmEhu8ABQ%3BFfDTUP0dGtAVCik7XtJUFCvVqTFQaHmEhu8ABQ%3BFQbhUP0ddJYNCilf3qjX8R3VqTEApnmEhu8ABQ%3BFUa4Xf0dN4QmCinVdcoKaxorbTHQ1j9Mhu8AEw%3BFVSOWv0dvSQ1Cinvx2FjiWMsbTE5mXmEhu8ABQ%3BFerAZ_0dQThKCikB7cVjSC8ybTFFmXmEhu8ABQ%3BFaUvd_0dJi5NCikhxiM4eGMwbTERaKpaO5lmTw%3BFZ_0if0dbAtfCikFONSk6iY5bTFgoXmEhu8ABQ%3BFbS8zf0dRK1qCin75pxa-0cNbTEXmaJDYe8ABQ&oq=auckland&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=11&sz=9&via=1,11&z=6

• Like 1

I did that drive but clockwise a few years back minus the track days. Amazing drive. Hope you get a great day when you drive from Haast to Wanaka as the scenery is amazing.

I used about $700 worth of Fuel. But that was cruising in a XK8 4ltr V8 Jag. So no putting the foot down really.

Just be aware that aa plus only covers the first $800 of any tow etc. So not quite a rescue from anywhere to anywhere, but damn near the best you'll get. They only mentioned this to me last time I renewed, I'd always thought it was unlimited.

Sweet man what do you drive? and are you going to convoy from hampton downs?

I'm heading down with a group of Porsches, I've got one of those things with the engine in the wrong place. :)

The silver Gen 1 GT3 with the big carbon spoiler?

If it's the Parnell car, SCREW driving that for any length of time. The exhaust is obnoxious.

996.2, but just realized who you are so... I think you know the car. :)

If it's the Parnell car, SCREW driving that for any length of time. The exhaust is obnoxious.

Not me. If it has a pplate starting with EQ I've seen the car around and it's not a GT3, just a Carrera with aerokit/GT3 wheels.

Edited by kinetik
  • Like 1

Not me. If it has a pplate starting with EQ I've seen the car around and it's not a GT3, just a Carrera with aerokit/GT3 wheels.

With the black stickers on it? Hope your kidding that it's not a GT3...

Might be a different car, I don't recall stickers but I haven't seen it around Newmarket for a few months or so... actually CarJam tells me the one I'm thinking of is black, so definitely different.

I think Mat is spot on the money we have a customer who just put a 997 gt3 kit onto his 996 black carrera, he then wraped it white which could explain the carjam confusion :wacko:

So are you guys on Rennlist too? Too many people with different names across different forums (like me :) ).

im not on rennlist i just work at Conties Porsche, and own/drive 80's Peugeots and BMW's :wacko: ...... im wierd

Found out there was a spare space as someone has broken a leg and can't make it. Doing southern tracks with Tour 1 and Canterbury tracks with Tour 2 so will see you down there !!!

mean! im in tour 1. Look out for the little white Peugeot with yellow headlights :)

Cool. Look for a silver Turbo with a middle aged fart in it :) Am travelling straight to Inv so hopefully be at the Kelvin Hotel by 4:30pm .... Feel free to hop in the passenger seat for a set of laps in between going out etc.

Awesome ! - love the repair photos.

Looks like a pretty awesome trip, filled with the joy of old French cars ;)