Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

Cheap E46 M3 in piss yellow

Was on TradeMe a while back. He did say there was a problem with it which I think if I remember correctly was something to do with the Vanos. Seems like nobody was interested on TradeMe. Car however does look very good though.

Never liked that colour... Still if I get time might pop in for a test hoon <cough cough> mean drive :-)

• Like 1

Never liked that colour... Still if I get time might pop in for a test hoon <cough cough> mean drive :-)

Around the their 'test track'? lol

I'll leave this here...

Scary sh*t !!!

I used to be quite keen on a E46 M3 ....... is this common or has this guy been doing lots of skids :) ??

never will i buy one of these.........

I've just watch all 5 vids.

Are E36's the same.

Am I the only one who actually likes Phoenix Yellow?

• Like 2

even if you/they trash the sh*t out of them its still a very poor design fault> BMW built it, I'd expect to be able to drop the clutch from the moon all day long and the car to handle it.

Am I the only one who actually likes Phoenix Yellow?

I do not exactly love Phoenix Yellow, but if I was to buy an M3 I would not buy it in any other colour...

I like it, and i love the kiwi leather trim too. Would totally roll in the one in the OP, but alas no $$$

• Like 1

Lol, wut?! Granted, a 33%ish increase in hp & torque will test any chassis limits, but surely the ///M engineers would have allowed a fair amount of wriggle room? It's not like we're talking about a mass production car here :blink:

Definitely a design flaw from BMW, they aren't perfect.

Wouldn't surprise me if E90's have the same issue in the future.

All E46 models are susceptible not just the M3. It just doesn't happen to cars driven normally on the road, and as 318, 320 etc are not usually tracked they don't fail as often. A popped spot weld does not usually constitute sub-frame failure to BMW and to be honest there are plenty of other things that fail on any other cars. All of the sub-frame failures you speak of are in reality only on a small percentage of cars ie. I could only count 14 instances of MY2001-2003 failures over the last 3 years on that forum - out of all the USA and UK users on there. Some people just like putting the frighteners out but under normal (and some spirited) driving its not an issue.

If it happens to me then I may change my mind but I love my car and rarely hammer it, and anyway it knows it goes to the knackers yard it if it does. To be honest I've never revved it over 6k so it owes me!!

• Like 1

I know lowering\stiff springs don't do any favours either but if bought any E46 id get it checked regardless of what it was. I know all cars have issues but if you get caught slipping with this design flaw you can be up for a large bill.

A guy on another forum here in NZ recently found out his 328i needed the subframe replaced, which he did and had the new one reinforced.

Was out at Turners on an unrelated matter today and saw this car. Wow. Looks like a piece of sh*t to put it bluntly. Holes in bumper where splitters should be, engine bay disgusting, bird sh*t all over the back window, lots of scratches, a handful of dents. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Like 1

Smg launch control is brutal on the rear end in first as 1/10 of a second shift mode in 1, 2 & 3 on full throttle. Not something a careful car owner would do more than once. No doubt why the sub frame will fail.

Similar to side stepping a clutch at 4k for those that use the tractor style interface know as a manual. ;-)

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Smg launch control is brutal on the rear end in first as 1/10 of a second shift mode in 1, 2 & 3 on full throttle. Not something a careful car owner would do more than once. No doubt why the sub frame will fail.

Similar to side stepping a clutch at 4k for those that use the tractor style interface know as a manual. ;-)

Now don't start that, we all know that you only need an automatic manual gearbox if you don't know how to use a real manual gearbox... ;)

Last I heard a "manual" needed 3 pedals :D :D :D

• Like 2

The benefits of a proper manual still outweigh any other transmission

• Like 1

This is like the Playstation v Xbox fanboi debates.

Horses for courses. I'd take a manual on the track any day of the week but if I was driving across Europe I'd take an auto. I enjoy driving both - I'm actually really enjoying my auto box at the moment since upgrading the s/w but would also be happy with a manual (if the conversion costs weren't so high!).

• Like 1