Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Awesome sounding daily drivers?

While driving my 2008 1.8 Corolla manual home from work today I had the windows down and I was reduced to listening to the most dreary, monotonous 4 cylinder noise you could imagine..... echoing down the streets as I pass parked cars. Awful!

It just hits all the notes that actually make me feel bored and almost sick, weird perhaps, but it's a truly horrible especially day in day out - surely I'm not alone here??

It got me thinking... what are some relatively practical / affordable cars that actually have engines that under normal driving stir the soul for he right reasons, raising your mood, making the day just that much better, yet aren't necessarily fast or exotic cars

I'm not talking about revving an M3 out to 8,000rpm, more so the 1000-4000rpm town driving people do regularly, a completely different matter.

Engine's that sprung to mind, were some 3 cylinders, but not really?

Some 5 cylinders perhaps...

Or more likely a nice V6, of a sporty nature rather than the run of the mill V6s Japan likes to put out.

Suggestions are welcome!!

Mitsi FTO's have a pretty sweet sound when rev'd if it's the MIVEC unit.

I dont think ive ever heard a bad V8 from any manufacturer

• Like 4

Stock exhaust note from the early 325i E36s isn't too shabby. Have been asked a few times if its a V8 :huh: VY/VZ SS Dunnydores with the factory sports exhausts are rather decent too :)

While driving my 2008 1.8 Corolla manual home from work today I had the windows down and I was reduced to listening to the most dreary, monotonous 4 cylinder noise you could imagine..... echoing down the streets as I pass parked cars. Awful!

It just hits all the notes that actually make me feel bored and almost sick, weird perhaps, but it's a truly horrible especially day in day out - surely I'm not alone here??

It got me thinking... what are some relatively practical / affordable cars that actually have engines that under normal driving stir the soul for he right reasons, raising your mood, making the day just that much better, yet aren't necessarily fast or exotic cars

I'm not talking about revving an M3 out to 8,000rpm, more so the 1000-4000rpm town driving people do regularly, a completely different matter.

Engine's that sprung to mind, were some 3 cylinders, but not really?

Some 5 cylinders perhaps...

Or more likely a nice V6, of a sporty nature rather than the run of the mill V6s Japan likes to put out.

Suggestions are welcome!!

'most anything Alfa Romeo. But i still wouldnt own one.

My Uncle's Mom rocks a really late model Maserati Quatreporte as a daily, cant get much better than that. Practicle, and sounds good below 4000rpm boxes ticked, affordable, well not so much

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Mmm those V8s sure are nice.

'most anything Alfa Romeo. But i still wouldnt own one.

My Uncle's Mom rocks a really late model Maserati Quatreporte as a daily, cant get much better than that. Practicle, and sounds good below 4000rpm boxes ticked, affordable, well not so much

I was thinking those Alfas... but yeah they are what they are.

540, from inside. Try it.

Yeah I had one a few years ago, very awesome noise, I rather miss the stock noises they made in the cabin, especially the E34

Its probably broken but I really really like the intake noise of my m42... its also nice being able to suck my way through windy bits and not use any fuel.. hah

Haven't read responses but I quite like some of the Alfa 159s… particularly 3.2l but not sure how much they are.

Edit:
Read the responses :P

Edited by Tristan
  • Like 1

For a daily, most BMW straight 6 are pretty good. e46 330i/Ci is nice (especially with a golf-tee mod). VW Golf R32 is awesome. So does the Alfa Romeo v6, maybe a 159 station wagan.

Almost any motorcycle, and probably cheaper on the gas than the corolla.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear your thoughts guys!

The Alfa 159 3.2 manual would be an interesting one, I sense a test drive sooner or later - though the questionable reliability of those is up in the air... but that may just be a trade off.

Otherwise from experience all these make rather pleasant sounds, aren't expensive and are fairly reliable

540i E34 or E39

Most of the sixes in the E3X ranges... though there are a lot of variations of M50-M52-M54 exhausts so it's a varied choice but we all know the gist of their noise.

Peugeot or Citroen with a manual V6 even? Probably too much of a headache such cars.

Subaru flat 6 Legacy 3.0R? ehhh

Hmmmm I need to get out a bit more and test some cars I think.

Legacy. EZ30R with a nice exhaust sounds tits. Goes nearly as well as the turbo ones too.

Had an R32, that was a great sounding car, quiet and then exhaust opened up under throttle, was loud.

S55 Kompressor, whole range of interesting noises, deep rumble at idle, deep whine from supercharger at low revs, boost being slowly blown out again at low speeds and nascar like sound under full throttle. Relatively cheap to buy now, as long as it doesn't break.

R32s are still $20-35K for the most part though, is that "affordable"? I wouldn't say so… but nice to hear opinions nonetheless.

I standby the Alfa 159 3.2 - When I drove one it was a blast. 3 pedals combined with a nice exhaust.. mmmm

R32s are still $20-35K for the most part though, is that "affordable"? I wouldn't say so… but nice to hear opinions nonetheless.

I standby the Alfa 159 3.2 - When I drove one it was a blast. 3 pedals combined with a nice exhaust.. mmmm

Are you talking about affordability in the sense of the initial purchase? If so, sure an Alfa is an affordable car :-P

• Like 1