Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Well priced 530d - Now part of Bimmersport

Warning for all you M57 owners and N57, mates X5 M57 twin turbs just snapped the timing chain and totally lunched the motor valves ect $12k. Google that and it's not uncommon. Fault supposed to be corrected 10/2010 onward. Possible long oil services to partly to blame. Disiel blow by watering down oil viscosity.

To check timing chain (at back of motor). Step 1) remove engine .......

Warning for all you M57 owners and N57, mates X5 M57 twin turbs just snapped the timing chain and totally lunched the motor valves ect $12k. Google that and it's not uncommon. Fault supposed to be corrected 10/2010 onward. Possible long oil services to partly to blame. Disiel blow by watering down oil viscosity.

To check timing chain (at back of motor). Step 1) remove engine .......

Cough, it would be cheaper to get a warranty than remove the engine and replace timing chain & other gear while you're in there.

In my experience (and I've done well over 150,000kms in a M57TUD30 combined over 3x X5 diesels) they've been very reliable. I think on the world stage compared to other engines they are pretty bullet proof.

Yes agree its a major to change or check, geee my mate sure wishes he had a warranty right now, considering its a NZ new truck not long out of BMW comprehensive maintenance, FSH.

After seeing that mess if i owned one i would

A ) change the oil more frequently than recomeneded

B ) warranty.

Edited by FRT

If the chain snapped, oil changes are unlikely to have helped... especially if the "fault" was fixed after 10/2010.

Chains aren't like they used to be - they used to be a leave 'em alone type thing... they've gotten thinner, smaller and most became single row a looooong time ago.

Nowadays, some aren't as reliable as a belt. The M62 V8 tensioners aren't too flash, and the Alloytec Holden motors have had stretching chains, resulting in jumped teeth - usually doesn't lunch anything, they just stop when the timing gets too far off. Was at the Neighbours a while back, discussing that about a 2007 Commodore... with 80K on it :blink:

Yes apparently "fault fixed" was specification of parts/materials/ tolerances of units built over a 20 month period. So party to blame but combine this with weasled oil caused faster lunching.

Hey all just interweb guesses not BMW official media releases.

Changing oil often can only be good. And warranty is the key if you can't afford a freaking huge repair bill

The fault that is more common on these motors is when they eat the swirl flaps.

Will have mine taken out very soon.

Sheee-it FRT was that Neil's truck? He will be mighty pissed.

Dan, let me know when you are doing the flaps - I did mine on the 330d a while back.

Mine has the reinforced ones with the better shafts. So it would really only just be a precaution.

Admins please amend the title of this topic... The accidental misplaced apostrophe sends me into an uncontrollable, hulk-like rage every time I see it.

I'd like to think the problem belongs to auto-correct not human error/ignorance. Mainly because I hate auto-correct.

• Like 1

Haha okay just for you Julian.

• Like 1

Yeah, I found I had those when I took them out!!

I would love to know what sort of driving causes them to fault and be eaten.

And why BMW hasn't really taken every precaution to solve the issue. Rather they have just band-aided it.

Yup, he not happy. Considering he has done probably more than half a million K's in 4 x X5s this one just out of service plan, decided to run it a bit more before swapping up and kaboom.

Yup, he not happy. Considering he has done probably more than half a million K's in 4 x X5s this one just out of service plan, decided to run it a bit more before swapping up and kaboom.

Sounds like optimum engineering to me!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dan, let me know when you are doing the flaps - I did mine on the 330d a while back.

Where did uou get the blanking plates Jon? I'm planning to do mine when the warranty expires next year.

And why BMW hasn't really taken every precaution to solve the issue. Rather they have just band-aided it.

$$$

Good support and loyalty from the dealer/manufacturer then. There's a guy who has spent $400k plus on new cars and one faults just out of service, "Sorry, that's your problem".

I forgot, on a known problem as well.

Edited by Palazzo

You would think there would be some good will involved huh. If there isn't then I could only presume they just lost themselves a life customer.

He definitely made them aware of that in detail and waiting response....First response was Ahh too many K's.

It was almost on 200k.

Edited by FRT

Where did uou get the blanking plates Jon? I'm planning to do mine when the warranty expires next year.

I ordered mine from a company in Essex, England called PMW Lts- I found an article in a UK BMW mag and these guys were one of the first and did a lot of the research and development making the parts.

Link to their info here: http://pmwltd.co.uk/pages/blanking-pates

They were selling them on eBay and as they are small the postage was pretty cheap. Biggest pain was having to take the inlet manifold off to find out what size I had before ordering them, putting it back on while the parts were coming and then taking it off again to fit them. I think there is a way you can tell now without having to do that!

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Bit different from the guide I was reading using PK Screws, a Dremmel and some cheap sealant. Haha.

Drove from Wellington to Masterton then on to Auckland today. 10.8l/km by Taupo. 9.7 by Auckland. Towing a heavy trailer with an E30 on it. Stoked with that. Better than my bloody 540 did towing nothing.

Really enjoying it.

Drove from Wellington to Masterton then on to Auckland today. 10.8l/km by Taupo. 9.7 by Auckland. Towing a heavy trailer with an E30 on it. Stoked with that. Better than my bloody 540 did towing nothing.

Really enjoying it.

I fully intend on buying one of these in about 5 years time. Power, torque, efficiency and safety, what more could anyone want?

I fully intend on buying one of these in about 5 years time. Power, torque, efficiency and safety, what more could anyone want?

Easy,something with more power.;-)

Easy,something with more power.;-)

The diesels respond very well to being chipped?