Sign in to follow this  
earon

Looking at a new car

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd get some advice, hoping some of the guys here have had some experience with any of these particular cars.

So the situation is, a very close cousin of mine in Vancouver, Canada is looking for an upgrade to his 2011 Mustang Gt or so, we've lined up a few test drives while I'm there for a month or so and the cars in discussion are:

2010 R35 GTR.... 2008/2009 Audi R8 V8.... 06/07 Porsche 997 911 Turbo... I've been in the R35 and the 911, however if anyone has any better input or personal opinion I'd love to hear.

I spend a lot of time in around north america and looks like I'll be moving there next year or so hence why I'm helping him pick a car.

We've also looked at the C63 AMG coupe, 2011/2012 E92 M3 and the new RS5 however I've spent time with these three and it's absolutely obvious it's not in the same league as the 997 911 turbo, R8 and R35.

Thanks in advance guys.. always appreciate the input from the guys on the forum.

Edited by DSCOFF
  • Like 1

The R35 absolutely destroys the 911 in terms of performance, and in the best way - it makes that performance available. The 911 may be marginally more comfortable... For me, between those two cars, there is no contest. And this assumes both cars are in from-the-factory spec; start tuning and the gulf between them just grows and grows.

Can't comment on the R8 as I've not ridden in or driven one.

we've lined up a few test drives while I'm there for a month or so

How easy is it to book a test drive in a 911 turbo??

How easy is it to book a test drive in a 911 turbo??

I personally wouldn't know mate.. the ones I've been in have been over here and Aussie..I can't say for sure for Canada. I think it's more to do with the credibility of your wallet and willingness to buy.. haha :) budgets around a 100-120k so we're looking at that.. I've finally convinced him off useless american cars.. :D

The R35 absolutely destroys the 911 in terms of performance, and in the best way - it makes that performance available. The 911 may be marginally more comfortable... For me, between those two cars, there is no contest. And this assumes both cars are in from-the-factory spec; start tuning and the gulf between them just grows and grows.

Can't comment on the R8 as I've not ridden in or driven one.

So out of the 3 suggested you'd reckon the R35 is the best outright car?? I feel the mid-engine R8 is an absolute supercar..looks like one, feels like one. However I have to agree the R35 destroys both for performance.

the biggest issue with the 911 turbo is the number of variants available.. almost waters down the appeal for it.. it's almost shooting itself in it's own foot.. sadly enough because it is an impeccable car.

So out of the 3 suggested you'd reckon the R35 is the best outright car?? I feel the mid-engine R8 is an absolute supercar..looks like one, feels like one. However I have to agree the R35 destroys both for performance.

the biggest issue with the 911 turbo is the number of variants available.. almost waters down the appeal for it.. it's almost shooting itself in it's own foot.. sadly enough because it is an impeccable car.

The R8 may be a better car - I don't know. As I said, I have no experience of it. It does look, on paper and in pictures, to be a good car.

I do know the R35, especially after a couple of drives, becomes a mind-bendingly fast car yet remains one that is quite ridiculously easy to drive.

And the R35 can actually make quite a practical family car, if that is a consideration. That's something the Porsche can't even begin to consider doing.

The R8 may be a better car - I don't know. As I said, I have no experience of it. It does look, on paper and in pictures, to be a good car.

I do know the R35, especially after a couple of drives, becomes a mind-bendingly fast car yet remains one that is quite ridiculously easy to drive.

And the R35 can actually make quite a practical family car, if that is a consideration. That's something the Porsche can't even begin to consider doing.

awesome.. thanks for the input mate, always appreciated. Hopefully I get to hear thoughts on the R8 from guys on the forum, it's also the only car from the list I haven't had any personal experience with... I'm with you on the fact that the R35 decimates the 911 997 turbo.. it even presents close competition for the GT3..haha!!

any other supercars around that range or mark I might be missing??

Real question (curious) and not trolling or anything, as I can't even imagine sitting on those cars and driving them (would love to though :o ).

Was just thinking, are the cars going to be tracked/raced? Wouldn't any of those cars be too fast for the street anyway? So performance shouldn't really be a factor?

Wouldn't this just come down to looks, feel of the driver, and comfort of the driver, and bling factor?

Real question (curious) and not trolling or anything, as I can't even imagine sitting on those cars and driving them (would love to though :o ).

Was just thinking, are the cars going to be tracked/raced? Wouldn't any of those cars be too fast for the street anyway? So performance shouldn't really be a factor?

Wouldn't this just come down to looks, feel of the driver, and comfort of the driver, and bling factor?

yeah I think you're on the money with that statement.. it does come down to looks.. feel..basically a real supercar, hence why I'm absolutely looking forward to driving the Audi R8, it definitely doesn't stand a chance against the R35 or 911 turbo on power capability however it is the one that's most appealing.

Does everything a supercar has to.. stops crowds..turns heads.. and makes that beautiful noise.. that mid engine v8 is glorious. I've seen a audi r8 parked next to a 997 911 turbo in the UK and it rendered the 911 almost invincible haha

Cheers for the input mate :)

Edit: and no it wouldn't really be tracked, that's a good point, I barely get to use all the power out of my M3.. it's not even in the league of those cars.

Edited by DSCOFF

I've been in both the v8 and v10 R8's, it was only as a passenger whilst someone else punished them around a track, so I cant really comment on their comfort level, but they both performed flawlessly. It felt like a supercar should very responsive and sounded amazing, it may be out performed by the 911 and R35 but in terms of looks, feel and sound it'd be my pick. I haven't had any experience with the 911 but have the R35, the R35 is a brilliant car don't get me wrong but it felt too easy, like anyone could hop in a look like a racing driver in it, it took a lot of the fun out of it because they've done all the work to make it so driveable.

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd get some advice, hoping some of the guys here have had some experience with any of these particular cars.

So the situation is, a very close cousin of mine in Vancouver, Canada is looking for an upgrade to his 2011 Mustang Gt or so, we've lined up a few test drives while I'm there for a month or so and the cars in discussion are:

2010 R35 GTR.... 2008/2009 Audi R8 V8.... 06/07 Porsche 997 911 Turbo... I've been in the R35 and the 911, however if anyone has any better input or personal opinion I'd love to hear.

I spend a lot of time in around north america and looks like I'll be moving there next year or so hence why I'm helping him pick a car.

We've also looked at the C63 AMG coupe, 2011/2012 E92 M3 and the new RS5 however I've spent time with these three and it's absolutely obvious it's not in the same league as the 997 911 turbo, R8 and R35.

Thanks in advance guys.. always appreciate the input from the guys on the forum.

I drove the R8 V8, it's a nice car to drive but nothing "special" (I imagine the V10 is a different story).

The things I liked were the mid-mount engine and 4WD, since driving one, I wouldn't consider a V8 model again.

I drove a 2010 RS5 and it was boring, has it changed?

If you were getting a 997 Turbo I'd be going for a manual, rather than the first-gen automatic. If I wanted an auto I'd go PDK which is 2010 onwards I believe, but then they're still quite expensive here (not sure about Canadian market). I loved the 997 Turbo I drove, I wouldn't discount the 996 Turbo though. They are quite different cars. I'd almost compare the relationship to the E46/E92 M3, one is raw and the other refined if you know what I mean.

R35 GTR was fast and fun but lacked character. I think I'd get bored with it within a week, and the interior is not for me.

I'd probably be looking at the Porsche's if it were me.. Happy to answer any other questions about the cars if I'm able.

Edited by TJ*

I haven't driven any of them but on looks alone and interior styling it would have to be the R8 for me. Porsche's look like mid-life crises and R35s look like boy racers.

Considering your mate clearly likes a bit of muscle, for less money he could an M6 gran coupe. Looks amazing, Euro muscle, four doors, decent boot, goes like stink, isn't tiny.

ku-xlarge.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't go for the R35 now because the R36 is confirmed and should be out in a year or 2. I personally feel the Porsche's interior is much more well built than the GTR with a classy yet sporty feel to it. Also I think the Porsche will hold its value better.

Can't really comment on an R8 as I've never been in one. They sure look good though.

I would go for a SL63 AMG for that kind of money but if its strictly to this selection then I think I would take the Porsche.

The M6 is the exact opposite of what a BMW M is suppose to be, its basically a modern day 850i.

The M6 is the exact opposite of what a BMW M is suppose to be, its basically a modern day 850i.

According to whom? I'm guessing BMW are pretty happy with it. Have you driven one? They're pretty epic! Surely the M cars are simply variations of the road cars modified by the Motorsport division, so it's no less an M than an M3 or M5? It just has a shorter history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove the R8 V8, it's a nice car to drive but nothing "special" (I imagine the V10 is a different story).

The things I liked were the mid-mount engine and 4WD, since driving one, I wouldn't consider a V8 model again.

I drove a 2010 RS5 and it was boring, has it changed?

If you were getting a 997 Turbo I'd be going for a manual, rather than the first-gen automatic. If I wanted an auto I'd go PDK which is 2010 onwards I believe, but then they're still quite expensive here (not sure about Canadian market). I loved the 997 Turbo I drove, I wouldn't discount the 996 Turbo though. They are quite different cars. I'd almost compare the relationship to the E46/E92 M3, one is raw and the other refined if you know what I mean.

R35 GTR was fast and fun but lacked character. I think I'd get bored with it within a week, and the interior is not for me.

I'd probably be looking at the Porsche's if it were me.. Happy to answer any other questions about the cars if I'm able.

Thanks for the input mate, we're definitey looking at the manual 997 turbo.. the new 991 carrera looks amazing too, however no where near the power of the turbo cars.

hmm interesting note on the 996 turbo..

Yeah the R35 just seems to be so powerful, yet lacks that intangible.. and the R8 seems to ooze class and supercar appeal. After reading Julian's advice I'll probably make sure we look at that M6 and the M5.. v8 twin turbo m5 is around the same price as the R8, R35, and 997 turbo in the canadian market.

I am rather looking forward to the test drives almost more than Mardi Gras in New Orleans haha

Prices seem to be good there.. might be moving to Vancouver next year so looks like I'll be in a similar senario then.. :)

• Like 1