Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Mobile phone advice

I have a iphone 5S and gave the Mrs. my old iphone 4.

The 4 has finally given up the ghost (battery can't make it through a day, calls continually drop etc) so I need to get her a new phone.

Default option is a new 5C but at $899 I'm starting to look around.

Can anyone recommend something else that is user friendly with a similar interface to the iphone but cheaper? She uses it for calls, texting and looking at Facebook and reading Stuff/NZ Herald. She also uses the Air NZ mpass app a lot, but I see you can also get that from the andriod store.

ifixit.com is your friend.

Replaced my 3GS battery for $25USD & back to 2 days between charges. They have online how to instructions, all the tools for the job & warranty their batteries for 6 months (unlike all the sketchy trademe & ebay ones). A lot cheaper than dropping $900 on a new one.

Personally would only go for a 5S as 4G will be more common in the future but you might still find Apple selling the 4S for $500 ish. Still many more dinero than a battery. Once youre in the apple eco system everything else feels clunky to use (speaking from the company giving me an S3 that was less friendly to use).

No doubt this will start the usual fanboi bullshit.

I had an iPhone 5 and didn't like it and have switched to a windows phone, I have a Nokia lumia 1020 considered the 920 but 1020 was just released at the time, its very easy to use and comes with Nokia's reliability. Has a lot of the same features as the apple stuff but isn't as limiting lets you communicate with all other windows products and most smart tv's. The app store isn't as large but has most of the popular higher end apps. Also doesn't suffer from virus issues like some of the Androids.

Iphone users will support Iphones. Android users will support Android phones. My guess is in the end you will buy the default option of 5c as this topic will be meaningless in the end. So now I will chime in my part and say Android because I am using one. :ph34r:

Edit: Windows phone is great for just the daily uses with some major apps support. Very easy to learn and the UI is very smooth. Changed from Windows Mobile/Phone (WP8) because of two big reasons:

1. Cannot switch off autorotate.

2. No file explorer.

This was 1.5 years ago but things might have changed in the new 8.1. Too bad its not enough to pull me back away from Android.

Edited by andy_e39

As above - stick to iPhone. Go refurb 4s, 5, or if you can buy new, 5c, (which is just a 5 in a plastic case)

Windows phone is dead (sadly)

just replace the battery they're extremely cheap especially on ebay, and hold on

Iphone 6 is due out mid year so hold off buying as all old models will reduce at that time and 2nd hand people will all be upgrading so its a buyers market

also the 5 was an experiment that failed,they won't admit it but it was too thin and light/weak and had multitudes of warranty problems,cost them millions in replacements hence the 5s has gone back to the old 4 heavy duty body

he 5c is an unknown long term

i think with wives and partners stick to what they know and avoid unnecessary changes in technologies like swopping to android or vice versa,

less stress for everybody

Both android and ios are very user friendly - they have to be to be able to compete with eachother. Ive been in both camps and each have their strengths and annoyances. Comparing the iphone 5 to the s4 I have to say build quality is like bmw with the iphone, S4 like a Geely.

Nexus 5 or iPhone5s. Don't get the iPhone5c unless you want to basically buying a plastic iPhone5.

I'm hesitant to change away from Apple as my Mrs and I iMessage relatively often and enjoy the benefits of non-SMS messaging.

If you want an older one, 1day.co.nz often has sales on old refurb Apple stuff.

I'm hesitant to change away from Apple as my Mrs and I iMessage relatively often and enjoy the benefits of non-SMS messaging.

Most plans, post and prepaid, have unlimited text messages and with apps like Viber and Whatsup, its a bit of a non issue

• Like 1

I'd seriously look at the Windows Phone OS, specifically the Nokia Lumia 520 & 625. The OS is a piece of piss to use, and runs smooth as silk on the "lower end " hardware. The Air NZ app is good, and unless you are a phone geek, or someone who likes to play the latest trendy games, you'll struggle to be left wanting with the app selection. There is a new OS update coming out shortly which adds more features and looks really good.

Edit: Windows phone is great for just the daily uses with some major apps support. Very easy to learn and the UI is very smooth. Changed from Windows Mobile/Phone (WP8) because of two big reasons:

1. Cannot switch off autorotate.

2. No file explorer.

This was 1.5 years ago but things might have changed in the new 8.1. Too bad its not enough to pull me back away from Android.

Switching off screen autorotate is in the settings.

Not sure what the file thing is.

As above - stick to iPhone. Go refurb 4s, 5, or if you can buy new, 5c, (which is just a 5 in a plastic case)

Windows phone is dead (sadly)

What brings you to the " Windows Phone is dead "conclusion?

Most plans, post and prepaid, have unlimited text messages and with apps like Viber and Whatsup, its a bit of a non issue

The upcoming Windows Phone update will let you make any messaging app the default ( notifications etc ) system message service, which is pretty cool.

* I'm not a Windows fanboy, it just annoys me when people write it off as a solid OS. If you want an option out of left field, I'm currently using a Blackberry Z10 and with the latest OS update, it's a stunning piece of kit. Plus you can load android apps.

Edited by vtgts300kw
  • Like 1

Imma let you finish, but iMessage has benefits above and beyond that of avoiding increasing billed SMS count.

• Messaging to OSX as well as iOS.
  • Delivered/Read receipts.
  • No character limits.
  • Extended emoji keyboards.
  • Encryption.
  • Free international messaging.
  • Messaging non-data devices (e.g. iPod Touch).

Tbh, just change the battery in the 4.

Windows phone is very cool, I got my parents windows phones.

I kind of miss just how to the point it is, everything you want for communications is there, no flappy bird or any of the bullshit!

Cheap windows phones are quite good for value also, mum has a Lumia 520, it was $200. dad has an Ascend W1. and they run smooth and have few issues.

But I think changing the battery in the 4 is going to be the best idea.

i'm an iphone user, but rate the LG Nexus 5 highly. go into 2 degrees and try one out. you will be hooked by the functionality and the price is 2nd to none!

Mrs has a 5C for work. She hates it. But due to its poor ability to integrate with her secure work place systems (Navy).

As a facebook viewer and selfie taker it seems to be great. It is a nice shade of YOLO YELLOW!@*(. Very appropriate when you are dealing with VIP's. :D

I've just recently ditched my iPhone 4 and have gone for the samsung note 3 with charging pad. I'm finding it faster and nicer to use and the screen picture quality is epic IMO.

Imma let you finish, but iMessage has benefits above and beyond that of avoiding increasing billed SMS count.

• Messaging to OSX as well as iOS.
  • Delivered/Read receipts.
  • No character limits.
  • Extended emoji keyboards.
  • Encryption.
  • Free international messaging.
  • Messaging non-data devices (e.g. iPod Touch).

LOL!

As far as for a phone and messaging goes, Android, windows and iOS are all sh*t, iOS is just less sh*t, though the new windows OS dear i say it seems functional for the 5 minutes i have used it.

But everything in my house is Apple, so its all the added value i get like AirPlay, full speed WiFi etc that makes the iOS more attractive. That said, an iOS phone would be just as overpriced junk in an environment with no other Apple gear as an Android phone would be here.

getting locked into whatever you have is very real. Moved from my Android work phone to iOS and lost almost all my contacts. they are all backed up on iTunes now, so i will happily pay the $1-200 premium for an iPhone over an Android just to do without the loss of customer data etc.

ifixit.com is your friend.

This, have used it many times both personally and for work.

Happy wife = happy life. Get her a 5s 128 gig and be done with it.

Don't get caught out on a $400 Andriod experement unless it's for yourself. If she's like my wife I wouldn't even consider moving a icon let alone swapping os systems.

The fingerprint unlock is the game changer in my book. No mucking around with typing or dodgy voice biometric . With Apple iOS and app upgrades are seemless.

Also not sure about the earlier 5 verse 5s comments. I've had both . They are the same size and the cases are almost identical bar the lightning connector. Never had any issues with the 5.

Edited by Neal

oh i should also say, i see WAY more 5 and 5S come through work than i did of the 4 and 4S when they were the biggest thing. They are more prone to failure.

(I run an ewaste recycling company here in wellington)

I would be buying a 4S and try to keep it on iOS 6, 7 really bogs the 4S down.

I'm glad I changed back to iOS after 'dropping' my lumia 920 many many times to try and kill it, not sure if it was the phone or os system when it was working it was fine when it wasn't like constant resetting freezing locking me out for 100000 hours I f**king hated it camera was slow as hell too still works though smashed screen and all

I would be buying a 4S and try to keep it on iOS 6, 7 really bogs the 4S down.

You should try it on a 4 my gfs is painfully slow lol
  • Like 1

I'm glad I changed back to iOS after 'dropping' my lumia 920 many many times to try and kill it, not sure if it was the phone or os system when it was working it was fine when it wasn't like constant resetting freezing locking me out for 100000 hours I f**king hated it camera was slow as hell too still works though smashed screen and all

You got a dud phone. Can happen to any brand, any OS.

""What brings you to the " Windows Phone is dead "conclusion? ""

It's obvious. Even Nokia is going to release an Android phone.

Only Nokia is pushing windows phones now and that's cause they have to.

I like windows phone and am sad to see it die. But your backing a loser I'm afraid.

Apart from lack of apps you will run into other issues. For example a large multinational firm I work for doesn't support windows phone email.

If you don't want to spend $1000 - get a nexus or a 4s.

""What brings you to the " Windows Phone is dead "conclusion? ""

It's obvious. Even Nokia is going to release an Android phone.

Only Nokia is pushing windows phones now and that's cause they have to.

I like windows phone and am sad to see it die. But your backing a loser I'm afraid.

Apart from lack of apps you will run into other issues. For example a large multinational firm I work for doesn't support windows phone email.

If you don't want to spend $1000 - get a nexus or a 4s.

A forked version of Android ( that won't connect to google services, nor google play I don't think ) to replace Asha. But yes, " Android " none the less, gets the headlines. I do like the code name for it though, seems apt.

They don't support Outlook? I think that would be a minority decision? It's Enterprise adaptability has to be a benefit, Shirley?

It's not dead, it's never going to surpass Android or iOS, but it is a solid OS option. I'm not "backing" them ( I do currently use a BB Z10 ), I just like what they are doing.

Edited by vtgts300kw

Happy wife = happy life. Get her a 5s 128 gig and be done with it.

Don't get caught out on a $400 Andriod experement unless it's for yourself. If she's like my wife I wouldn't even consider moving a icon let alone swapping os systems.

I gave my wife a Galaxy 3 for a week to try, for a start she loved the big bright screen, but after that wore off, she put it down and went back to the 4s -- easier to text one handed and easier to carry along with the 24556776872 other things she carries around.

Plus all her 80's music is on iTunes, I know it can be put on the Galaxy too, but at least she knows how to use the 4s :)

Not sure what the comment about the iPhone5 being too lightly made is about ?? The 5s has an even thinner case ?? I have has a 5 since it come out, been dropped a few times etc, but still works 100% and looks like new - the Samsungs tend to look crap after one drop as the surrounds are plastic.

I look at it this way ..... The iPhones are like German Cars, over engineered, but not too flashy, but just work. The Samsungs are from Korea, so they are like a Hyundai - Built cheap, plastic, flashy but in the end built to a price.

( Sits back and waits for flames ....... )

Edited by camera doctor