Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Oil Filter !!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (to borrow a phrase from Gus)!!!

I am part way through my oil change...and have hit a real snag!!!

The oil is drained.....but I can't get the oil filter off (I have done this a heap of times, and never had a problem before).

I have tried putting a screwdriver through it, but still having no luck!!!

HELP!!!!!! Any ideas?

I fear I will have to call a mobile mechanic to assist in getting it off, I have actually bent my filter wrench with effort.

Cheers

i think andrew had the same problem.....where is your oil filter? on the south african e30s its in an incredibly hard place to get to.....the screwdriver through normally works....andrews got a oil filter wrench if u want to drive to his and borrow it.... just that and some persuasion of the non verbal variety normally works...or a hacksaw

it is in the normal place (non SA place)...easy to get too.

I have a filter wrench...but I have now bent it!!!

I will put on some beers for anyone who can get it off (but remember I can't drive it anywhere...my car is stuck in the garage).

Guest hizza bizza

dont' think i would recommend driving anywhere without any putting some oil back in though first bud haha :P

hmmm beers.......where do u live grant? im having a quiet day......and im good at persuasion....got the knuckles to prove it

Guest Andrew

Grant. I feel your pain. No one believed me before hah.

The oil filter mounting is mouted to the block by a banjo bolt.. I think its 32mm. Undo this and remove the oil filter with its mounting. Pop it in a vice (or in between feet) and just rip the filter off. Remember when putting the other filter back on oil the rubber gasket nicely (which is probably what the other person didn't do).

If you want me to come round I've got a tool that will undo that 32mm bolt.

i think a group buy with k&N oil filters?

they have a hex nut on the end of them to prevent grants and andrews prob.

how my computer andrew?

Guest Andrew

i think a group buy with k&N oil filters?

they have a hex nut on the end of them to prevent grants and andrews prob.

how my computer andrew?

Tim your computer killed another motherboard! .. bastard thing. I think its PSU is a bit farked.

Well Grants oil filter is actually well and truly stuck, and you can't unbolt it from the block because its directly mounted to the block.

Yes...many thanks to the efforts of Andrew and Gus. Our collective efforts couldn't unstick the fricken filter. But thanks heaps to the guys for the efforts anyway.

Tim, at this stage and after this weekend I am really really keen for the K&N Oil filter.

I will resort to having to get a mobile mechanic come and (try to) remove it.

Cheers

The Filter is off!!!!!!!

I called a mobile mechanic, who came straight around and had a look.

He got the filter off in 5 minutes...I could not believe it...and to make things worse he got it off using a single filter wrench, and without even having to raise the car.

He said the secret is....the angle of attack...not the strength.

However, he did say that the filter was on bloody tight (he had a good look to make sure that the mount was not damaged at all, and it is fine)

Amazing....I am now very much relieved (if not a bit red faced).

Again...a big thanks to Andrew and Angus for their efforts yesterday. (I maintain that we must have loosened the filter for the guy today!!!!)

Cheers

Guest Andrew

The Filter is off!!!!!!!

I called a mobile mechanic, who came straight around and had a look.

He got the filter off in 5 minutes...I could not believe it...and to make things worse he got it off using a single filter wrench, and without even having to raise the car.

He said the secret is....the angle of attack...not the strength.

However, he did say that the filter was on bloody tight (he had a good look to make sure that the mount was not damaged at all, and it is fine)

Amazing....I am now very much relieved (if not a bit red faced).

Again...a big thanks to Andrew and Angus for their efforts yesterday. (I maintain that we must have loosened the filter for the guy today!!!!)

Cheers

!!! ..

So tell us this secret angle of attack!

i want a big spanner....my pipe wrench/adjustable spanner failed us