Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Factory colour in a can

Anybody know if an auto paint shop can do calypso rot in a rattle can? Have gained some bits for mine that I'd like to see in the right colour before I send them to be done properly. Tia :)

I think it's Colourworx, corner Great South Rd and SE arterial in Penrose.

Car colours in Albany is where I go. $30 retail for 1 can, but one of the guys loves e30s and sells them to me for $25. Real quick, plus they open on Saturday mornings too.

You just gotta tell them the colour code and you'll be off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think it's Colourworx, corner Great South Rd and SE arterial in Penrose.

Agreed, I have used them a number of times and they've always been great.

I've used the Penrose place a few times ... they are more expensive in my opinion.

Try Smits Group on Greemount Drive in Botany - much cheaper (the shop is very Spartan - it's more a warehouse with a small retail attached to it, but they are cheaper than most - and cheaper still if you know someone with a trade account with them).

Have also Used Car Colors on the Shore (talk to Brendon), extremely helpful and definitely ready to do a good deal if you beg!!! I find in terms of colour matching, Car Colors are extremely good - I've been in their mix room and it is pretty state of the art.

Edited by M3_Power

^^ I've always used LJ SMitts as well, price depends on paint...don't think theres flake in Calypso so should be <$30

If you want the metallic dulon paint, as far as car colours is concerned if it is in an aerosol its all the same price. Youd pay extra for dulon paint in a bottle form though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

An aerosol can is ok if like you say you just want to check how things would look, BUT when (and IF) you decide to get them done properly then be sure you leave either your car or at least your petrol flap so they get the colour right.

Calypsorot.

1 prime and 5 variants.

post-3653-0-55421200-1392948633.jpg

post-3653-0-28216300-1392948755_thumb.jp

I've also found that certain metallics come out a lot darker when sprayed with an aerosol can. Read something some where about it being due to lack of pressure in aerosol. Not sure how accurate that is though

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I've also found that certain metallics come out a lot darker when sprayed with an aerosol can. Read something some where about it being due to lack of pressure in aerosol. Not sure how accurate that is though

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

If the colour is 'right' pressure doesn't make a lot of difference. When i do Micas and pearls i always turn my pressure right down and do some cross hatching with a very light coat to be sure the micas & pearls are in the correct orientation.

The thing with aerosols is when you ask for your colour, the person doing it will ALWAYS go with the 'prime' colour, and as you can see from my pic's above if your colour isn't the prime it will end in tears.

If i had $1 for everytime someone has said "Yeah bro, red is red" or "just paint it white mate, white's white" then they come back and say "that's not the white i want". I'd be living on the island next to Branson.

An aerosol can is ok if like you say you just want to check how things would look, BUT when (and IF) you decide to get them done properly then be sure you leave either your car or at least your petrol flap so they get the colour right.

Calypsorot.

1 prime and 5 variants.

attachicon.gif20140221_145116.jpg

attachicon.gif20140221_145242.jpg

Bugger me, they really like to make it difficult don't they!! 95% colour match will suffice for the moment, it's just to get the colour close enough and trial fit to see if I like it and then have the job done by someone that actually knows what they're doing :) How much would you charge for such a job man? (E39 ducktail m-sport boot lid lip)

Bugger me, they really like to make it difficult don't they!! 95% colour match will suffice for the moment, it's just to get the colour close enough and trial fit to see if I like it and then have the job done by someone that actually knows what they're doing :) How much would you charge for such a job man? (E39 ducktail m-sport boot lid lip)

Yeah the problem goes back to the manufacturer. (And believe me EVERY one of them is guilty of it, doesn't matter if the are OEM for Lambo's or Toyotas)

So on Monday, PPG (for arguements sake i'll use them because they are the WORST at it. If a manufacturer has 1 prime and 22 variants for the colour 'Passion Rose pearl', they deserve to be singled out hahaha). Any way, PPG delivers a big stock order of a colour, then on a Monday 5 months later they get a big order for the same colour, it WILL NOT be exactly the same as the last lot. But it's ok as PPG will just put out a "variant" with a formula to suit.

So you can see over the life of a colour (sometimes 5 years) there will AlWAYS be variants, hence why painters are grumpy pricks (well that's one reason, my friends and family say there's millions of reasons haha)

What does the lip look like mate? I can def' do it cheaper than anywhere else.

Much to my surprise the E39 piece is a near perfect size for the 36. But man brain can't decide if it's ok or not til it's the same colour

Shows my age but usually i would fit item and send pics to a friend who can photoshop the colour in haha