Repairing Carbon Fiber

Hi Guys,

Anyone got a good contact or know a business that repairs CF

Damage to repair

9x3c.jpg

7fon.jpg

5zvy.jpg

Edited by mod335

As much as i hate to recomend them (worked for him years ago and the guy's a cock) go and see Paul Hackett at C-QUIP, Vesty drive Mt Wellington. They build a LOT of high end (and i mean HIGH end) super yacht stuff and they (Paul and his father Trevor) were involved in the manufacture of the Hulme supercar.

They also had a habd in developing the Toyota race series cars way back when. The foreman (well was when i was there) Bernd also worked for Sauber F1 for many years.

Paul is such a carbon fibre freak he had carbon fibre business cards made for when he went to the Monte Carlo boat show.

Mind you, in saying all this, IF they agree to fixing it for you then be prepared to pay good money.

PS: Paul is a BMW nut to boot haha.

thanks for the replies guys

Will check them out and see what sort of pricing is quoted, considering both CF sideskirts were like US $500 - i may just order another set

It would be extremely difficult to "repair" the items shown.

it would be easier to make a mould and make new ones, which suggests it would cheaper simply to buy new ones.

This

I'd be inclined to use a combo of a bit of Dremel trimming / sanding the CF weave and then build up a few layers resin with light sanding in between.

You've got nothing to loose other than time and a small pot of resin. Repair kits are roughly $30 used on eday.

If it doesn't work out then replace with new. Worked well on a couple of my Ducati CF parts that were looking untidy . Check YouTube cf bike frame repairs for the jist of how to repair.

That actually doesn't look too hard to repair to be honest. I've been doing a fair bit of carbon work myself on the side learning as I go. It honestly isn't as hard as it looks (just got to get a good scale to weigh out the resin properly and have a clock so you can following the curing time if you are using a high speed resin.

I would personally use moulding clay on the underside to mould the general shape and then layer 3 layers on top, trying to match the weave as close as possible. Then sand and reshape. You can then either clear coat it like that or layer a full length 2x2 over the top so the weaves are consistent.

I did this minor repair on a spare set of splitters myself ... turned out pretty good and you'd struggle to find where I actually repaired it

Before

cid_4BC341BC-C87E-48B3-9583-9FB2EB524560

After

IMAG0400_zpsxoczwckl.jpg

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2

^^ Talent. Worthy of a like.

Mod335, worth having a crack yourself mate. And order another set for shows :D