Sign in to follow this  
Bonto

Electric cooling fan for 525e e28

Hey all,

The viscous fan on my e28 ETA is not engaging fully anymore so rather than replacing it I thought I might remove it and fit an electric fan instead.

Has anyone done something like this / have suggestions for fitting a fan from a later model? Any thoughts on it very welcome. I'm not the most electrically literate but I think I could sort it with the right advice..

Tom

Are you getting overheating while sitting in traffic? The viscous should only lock up when the air coming through the radiator is over a certain tem, and locks the clutch on the coupling.

The "newspaper test" ONLY works when the engine is getting fairly hot - the coupling should slip until that point.

TBH, it's a LOT less work to replace the viscous anyway B)

Yep, Allan, it's getting pretty warm. Ran it up over Arthurs Pass a couple of weekends ago and it got very hot, just short of the red, no steam or signs of boiling thankfully but closer than I'd like. On a trip it gets warmer than it should when slowing down through the towns. Pretty sure the fan clutch is done. The radiator has also never had a shroud in my ownership, which may also be an issue. Did these cars have them from factory does anyone know?

Hear what you're saying though re replacement though. I should get a price for a new one at least.

3pedals, will PM shortly.

Hmmm.. this is why I wondered. Driving over arthurs pass shouldn't make it heat up much, and the viscous fan shouldn't be required if you're moving at much speed - it may have a clogged/worn out radiator or similar, limiting the cooling capability.

The viscous coupling should only really be required at low RPM and very low speed, when there is limited air flow. By 25 or 30km/h there should be enough air through the front that the fan wouldn't do anything anyway.

The Coupling relies on the heat off the radiator to cause it to lock. As soon as more air comes through, the air/coupling should both cool down.

I did an electric fan conversion on my E34.

Worth it.

use a large 12v fan from TradeMe or similar E39 pusher would work too,

and a thermo switch from a 318i a 80/88 degree one.

Don't do this