Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Wow! 17 Years old and still amazing!

So once my OBC was fixed in my E39, I got the chance to check the audio quality... And Wow! Either this car had a very peculiar owner who hated the radio, or Bmw did it right... It sounds fantastic! (Esp for the age)

I was going to shuffle some funds aside to replace the audio system as my past experiences with all E36's and E38's were a shocking one.. Crumbling speakers and distortion through out, but this car's speakers are still mint!

I popped off the covers to check they were still stock, and sure are! (Comparing to what came out the E38s and E36s)

I am in complete amazement that after 17 years of the elements and being played they can still sound so fantastic.

Would anybody happen to know exactly what speakers were stock in the early '97 E39's? I would be guessing alpine, but don't want to pull them out just to see the brand stamped on the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, stupid phone has double posted again - apologies!

Mine were nokia speakers, including the factory sub.

Mine were nokia speakers, including the factory sub.

Mine too, and it's shithouse.

Mine too, and it's shithouse.

Agreed, thats why mine are jbl now! :)

Wow, not too bad then for 17 year old speakers, I was convinced they were aftermarket, but did a nosy today and stock as they will ever be - I pulled out the sound system from every other bmw and replaced, so was planning the same, but these speakers will go good for a wee while :)

Easy enough to wire in an amp and sub to fill the lack of low end. Gets a bit rattly in the boot though. I had the 10 speaker option in my 540i and once I installed the sub I was happy with it. The factory e39 stereo is not that bad unless you like high volume, where it gets a bit harsh sounding.

Easy enough to wire in an amp and sub to fill the lack of low end. Gets a bit rattly in the boot though. I had the 10 speaker option in my 540i and once I installed the sub I was happy with it. The factory e39 stereo is not that bad unless you like high volume, where it gets a bit harsh sounding.

Its not too bad high up, no distortion or rattling bass. Pretty happy with it!

I have 4 speakers and I "think" 6 tweeters. (2 speakers in front door, 2 on back tray, 4 tweeters up the front and 2 in rear door)

How hard is wiring in sub/amp for it? Mm have to weigh up loss of boot space, which could be a problem with a toddler and prams etc.

I've seen that all E39's have the 2 tweeter grilles in the front doors, and the 1 tweeter grill in the rear doors, but may not actually have tweeters in them. Do you have a DSP unit? (check on the on board monitor for the dsp setting) if you do, wiring in an extra amp is a pita. If not, then it's just a matter of finding a suitable input for the amp to run off (u need to use a low level line converter, available from jay car) From memory UI think I tapped in to the left rear speaker output from the factory amp. Good thing is that the batt is in the boot, so you don't need to run power and ground cables through out the car. There are amp pin out diagrams on the net, but need to identify which one you have first.

Its not too bad high up, no distortion or rattling bass. Pretty happy with it!

I have 4 speakers and I "think" 6 tweeters. (2 speakers in front door, 2 on back tray, 4 tweeters up the front and 2 in rear door)

How hard is wiring in sub/amp for it? Mm have to weigh up loss of boot space, which could be a problem with a toddler and prams etc.

2 tweeters up front, two mids up front, 2 bass driver up front, 2 tweeters in the rear, and two bass drivers in parcel shelf.

Least I think that's the set up, not sure why they would need 4 tweeters up front, although I agree the grills are all small

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I've seen that all E39's have the 2 tweeter grilles in the front doors, and the 1 tweeter grill in the rear doors, but may not actually have tweeters in them. Do you have a DSP unit? (check on the on board monitor for the dsp setting) if you do, wiring in an extra amp is a pita. If not, then it's just a matter of finding a suitable input for the amp to run off (u need to use a low level line converter, available from jay car) From memory UI think I tapped in to the left rear speaker output from the factory amp. Good thing is that the batt is in the boot, so you don't need to run power and ground cables through out the car. There are amp pin out diagrams on the net, but need to identify which one you have first.

Posted Image

Nope nothing I could find..

Wow it has a tape deck :blink:

Might need that audio budget after all.

• Like 1

Wow it has a tape deck :blink:

Might need that audio budget after all.

haha, I am surviving on the CD changer in the boot and lots of CD-Rs :)

haha, I am surviving on the CD changer in the boot and lots of CD-Rs :)

I run the DICE ipod system from forum sponsor http://www.gadgets4u.co.nz/

you loose the CD stacker but gain an ipod in your glovebox. Install is easy. Steering wheel controls are retained.

Able to install one without DSP?

Had a quick read and looks super handy as all my music is run off my phone via spotify. How much did this cost you guys? (Approx)

Took a video of the sound system in there at the moment, doesn't sound too bad being recorded on a phone and at a volume which would eventually deafen your brain cells :)

Apologies if you hate the song, tried looking for one with a bit of bass as that what generally causes me to rip my hair out if it sounds shocking...

I have the same factory Stereo in my E39, it was working well enough really and also had no real issues, but have upgraded 2 of the front speakers on each side to a DLS MS5A component set, the sound quality improvement was quite noticeable.

I have also installed an older Alpine V12 Monoblock Class D Amp and a 10inch Subwoofer (Atomic Manhattan) for sounds under 80hz.

The next step for me is http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/BMW/D5124F.html

I like that it looks like an OEM type System.

I will then use a 4 channel amp to Amp my Component speaker set (with the factory mid disabled) so that its amping my DLS Speakers along with the speakers and tweaters in the back. (Which I'll also upgrade eventually).

The E39 is a good platform for good sounding audio, as the car is well insulated with minimal road noise even at open road speeds.

Able to install one without DSP?

Had a quick read and looks super handy as all my music is run off my phone via spotify. How much did this cost you guys? (Approx)

It doesn't care about DSP so wont be a problem. It's just a source.

This is it.

http://www.gadgets4u.co.nz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=368&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

$295

You might want to check it will run off your particular phone, as mine is just an old school ipod but I like this as it has 120GB of music!

edit: this looks to be a newer model than mine with some cool new features!

Edited by M5V8

It doesn't care about DSP so wont be a problem. It's just a source.

This is it.

http://www.gadgets4u.co.nz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=368&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

$295

You might want to check it will run off your particular phone, as mine is just an old school ipod but I like this as it has 120GB of music!

edit: this looks to be a newer model than mine with some cool new features!

Ooo does look nice. I saw this one - but didn't show price when I was on my phone.

I've got an Iphone 5c.. should be fine?

Email: richard@gadgets4u.co.nz
Phone: 021 506 597

forum sponsor & all around good guy.

Check with gadgets4u that they have the updated cable for the latest iphones, as I too am using an older ipod touch 4. I scored mine of a forum member for $200 late last year brand-new.

I've got a DICE rip off that is adequate. $45. Boom.

Jeffbebe, where from?

Edit: Realised I had mentioned Iphone 5c not to long back..

Edited by Amber-Leigh