Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

e46 steering rack into e36

Hey guys this has probably been covered before but couldnt find anything.

My e36 steering rack is leaking and ive been reading that e46 racks pretty much bolt stright in with the e36 tie rod ends is this true.

Are there any mmodifications needed for this conversion like steering joint spline banjo sizes etc.

Any help would be much appreciated

It seems there are various ratio options in the E46 range, at least the american sites bang on about 330i ZHP (guessing means motorsport version) being the quick rack option. Though have found plenty of conflicting info on the net, it seems not all racks are equal from the e46 range.

Check out the rack and pinion from a Ti the one I have is just under 3 full turns lock to lock while the sedan had over 3 depends on what you are after?

have heard from various sources inluding Ray at HellBM telling me that E46 Compact is the way to go.

I have heard this too. I was looking at this earlier in the week and found a forum where a chap used a E46 rack with part number 32136755068 which produced a quick steering option. Using Real OEM it seems this rack appeared on compacts and a bunch of other models. Maybe its not just limited to compacts?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=32136755068&showeur=on

bmw fans has another shown for standard suspension only 32136753439 they both appear to have been used on the full e46 range but not on the M3 or csl. To muddy the waters if you check on the Sedan they have two shown 32136753439, 32131097317 the later is for M sport package II you would need to check carefully what you are buying.

The rack im getting is from a 320i msport id be happy if it was better ratio then e36 but if its the same or less id still be happy. pretty much just want to fix car with a mint rack and possibly some gains. Let me know what you guys think does it look like its worth a go I can try most mods that dont require welding.

Cheers for the comments

The rack im getting is from a 320i msport id be happy if it was better ratio then e36 but if its the same or less id still be happy. pretty much just want to fix car with a mint rack and possibly some gains. Let me know what you guys think does it look like its worth a go I can try most mods that dont require welding.

Cheers for the comments

well as discussed it could be any rack of a few by the looks of it. Whats the part number of the one in front of you?

e46 sports racks , come in the compact and some later coupes 318ci 330ci etc

also some of the m-sport sedans etc

purple ZF tag

Purple tag as Brent stated = E46 Sports Rack. $450 @Hellbm or Z3 rack $750 @ Hellbm

post-1470-0-06041900-1394420648_thumb.jp

resurrecting an old thread....

Can anyone advise if this IS a straight swap or not please?