Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

E36 M3 Targa Car Build

Great, will be good to hear how those springs go.

Are you running OEM front sway bar or uprated?

I'm doing an M3 track car project currently so have been loving reading your project log :)

Stock sway bars front and back. Might look to remove the rear at some stage. Baby steps in the setup.

Sounds like the right way to go.

I'm dialling in coil-overs and my own driving first before playing around with the sway-bars.

How much weight will the new panels save you?

How much weight will the new panels save you?

I cant quite remember, but as a guess 25kg? (boot, bonnet, spolier)

I'll weight before and after and find out.

I did a quick calc today with i'm looking at a total weight loss program of about 70kg ish.

Edited by Beeker2

Are you okay to name the supplier of the fibreglass panels?

Are you okay to name the supplier of the fibreglass panels?

Geoff Steel RAcing UK

http://www.geoffsteel.co.uk/shop/

The parts are (were at time of order) cheaper than NZ sourced product, lighter and arguably also a better finish (not perfect thou), however the freight will kill you.

Try and consolidate it with someone else's freight or shipping to bring that freight cost down.

They also do a hi-rise GT spoiler which the main NZ fiberglass manufacturer doesn't do. Really wanted this over the lower two piece version

Edited by Beeker2

Paul from Plastic Construction providing a quality finish.

Note: Almost finished, still needs the 2nd duct and the rear bracing.

Ducts will be plumbed into the vent hole in the lower back of the 4119 seats, probably with the aid of an inline fan. TBA.

EB3690BF-24D1-4CA8-A0BD-12528925415C_zps

D288C7A7-DBE7-4258-9913-80AC2B22E87A_zps

Edited by Beeker2

Booked in tue 2 weeks out, and emissions pump removal, and abs pump (currently disabled) removal .

• Like 1

Why remove the ABS? Surely on anything but gravel it is a help not a hinderance?

• Like 1

Why remove the ABS? Surely on anything but gravel it is a help not a hinderance?

Search on e36 abs brake ice mode and see why.

In short it can limit braking force unexpectedly and cause a crash.

Ah, that doesn't sound good! Was it fixed in later models?

Ah, that doesn't sound good! Was it fixed in later models?

The word is all e36's had the issue, even with the motorsport ECU.

The fix is a E46 4 circuit retro fit using kits which are available. But when you then change all the rotors and calipers to bigger units (say AP), the calibration is out, so it just gets hard again. Thus most at the top end just remove it.

Edited by Beeker2

F/Glass boot, spoiler and bonnet on. Alu doors on. Still needs finishing with locks and sundry.

A12B5F19-6F37-4615-917C-3F096369438A_zps

Edited by Beeker2

Just installed this extra wide accelerator pedal overlay. Also have the brake and clutch, but didn't bother installing.

Should make heal and toeing a little easier (have struggled in this car, yet have done it for years. Could be the different pedal travel due to brake kit, dunno).

Fingers crossed. Else i'm at risk from dangerous compression locking of the rears, tends to chuck you sideways when you least need it!

Noel, car looks great, where did you get the extra wide pedal overlay from? I have the same problem.

Man that came out nice. Definitely going to hit Paul up about some plastic windows for mine

Car looks really good, awesome work. And I love how you have the extra travel but it doesnt compromise on the over all look. You must be stoked how it all turned out.

Noel, car looks great, where did you get the extra wide pedal overlay from? I have the same problem.

Not cheap, but quality

www.bimmian.com/

• Like 1

Car looks really good, awesome work. And I love how you have the extra travel but it doesnt compromise on the over all look. You must be stoked how it all turned out.

i think the wheel offset helps with that look allot.

I have some new lip/chins for the front ready to go on but are tempted at a full extendable lip, but fear for its robustness.

Thanks, SERIOUSLY looking at this one now.

Its not as low as the OEM version but more robust.

As it isn't as low as OEM its probably not as effective either, but probably still has a positive effect on aero's (compared to lips only) to match the rear wing

I agree with all of this. The OEM one actually has a warning that it must be used with a suitable rear wing so something less aggressive might be better.

It seems very well made and the guys in the US with them rate them highly. I like how the underpanel anchors to the chassis.

I'm actually considering their underpanel so if you do choose to proceed let me know and perhaps there's something we can do on shipping. They're actually preparing a quote for me for 5 underpanels at the moment.

Cool. Will consider that.

I am in the US in 4 weeks, but i suspect its a bit large for cabin baggage :)

I'm actually considering their underpanel so if you do choose to proceed let me know and perhaps there's something we can do on shipping. They're actually preparing a quote for me for 5 underpanels at the moment.

I am a starter if you do consider the bulk buy. Time for the yellow beast to progress towards track work now.....

Thanks, SERIOUSLY looking at this one now.

Its not as low as the OEM version but more robust.

As it isn't as low as OEM its probably not as effective either, but probably still has a positive effect on aero's (compared to lips only) to match the rear wing

Had a look at this further and alas i think my sump plate and mount will interfere with it without major cutting to the back of the unit.

ie

10093771425_44256f099a_b.jpg

IMG_6065_zps2fql56ev.jpg

Edited by Beeker2
  • Like 1