Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

Removing cat on E36 M3 3.0 ?

I'm building M3 E36 Targa car and now thinking about the exhaust. Prior to buying a proper race exhaust, I'm wondering if a 'de-cat' on the OEM would provide some quick win benefits.

Is there any cost effect bolt on decat pipes (as opposed to getting one fabricated) and is there any known material gains or negative issues (sensor tec) in this.

let me know!

thanks

Believe the cats used on m3's are high flow (at least on e30m3) and incredibly efficient. I would not think a de-cat would make too much of a difference in performance.

• Like 1

With the stock ECU you will need to have the ECU flashed for no cats. Removing the cats without having this done will cause the ECU to run more fueling. The other way is having it tuned out.

bang your VIN into this, it may already not be an issue .. look for decatted option. If not you'll need the above.

There are a couple of people in Auckland who can do this .. myself included. I'm not sure out of town however.

With the stock ECU you will need to have the ECU flashed for no cats. Removing the cats without having this done will cause the ECU to run more fueling. The other way is having it tuned out.

bang your VIN into this, it may already not be an issue .. look for decatted option. If not you'll need the above.

There are a couple of people in Auckland who can do this .. myself included. I'm not sure out of town however.

No de-cat option listed. See below.

What's a de-cat for the ECU worth or better still a ECU tuned option with this included?

In addition, is it worth going to a race exhaust or is that more bling than actual HP gains?

ta for vehicle identification number: WBSBF92050EA66308 Model description: M3 Market: Europa Type: BF92 E-Code: E36 (2) Chassis: Coupé Steering: rechts Doors: 2 Engine: S50 - 3,00l (210kW) Drive: Heckantrieb Transmission: manuell Body Color: Arktissilber Metallic (309) Upholstery: (0470) Production date: 12.10.1993 Assembled in: Regensburg
Code Sonderausstattung Optional Equipment S428A Warndreieck und Verbandstasche Warning triangle and first aid kit S440A Nichtraucherpaket non-smoker package S458A Sitzverstellung vorne elektrisch Electr. front seat adjustment S498A Kopfstützen im Fond mechanisch Headrests, rear, mechanically adjustable S530A Klimaanlage Air conditioning S548A Kilometertacho Kilometer-calibrated speedometer S554A Bordcomputer V mit Fernbedienung On-board computer V with remote control S676A HiFi Lautsprechersystem HiFi speaker system S687A Radiovorbereitung Radio preparation S710A M Lederlenkrad M leather steering wheel S806A Dritte Bremsleuchte Third stoplamp S818A Batteriehauptschalter Battery master switch S850A Zusätzl. Tankfüllung Export Additional Export tank filling S925A Versandschutzpaket Transport protection package

PM me for details. It seems you have an early build e36 .. you may not need it. An aftermarket tune (which is different) and done at the end of your modifications on a dyno is probably what you want.

If you're wanting race car setup, Do it once / do it right ... here is mine for the s50b32, car dynoed at 205kw at the wheels (325bhp) with just the exhuast and intake modified .. no tune.
I have since put a bolt in / bolt out centre muffler / straight pipe section. Straight pipes for the track and centre muffler for warrents, I mean road. :)

I would spend the $$$ on thin walled stainless, it really has great heat dissipation benefits.

Bling, certainly not .. however there are plenty of systems out there that claim to be a race exhaust and are just loud and dont produce any power. Infact the oppersite. S50bXX engines are very sensitive to headers and mid pipe design. Anything that is stuffed up in these areas is where you can win or loose power. At the time I went with the advice of a dyno tuner to not go to 2 1/2 and stick with 2 inch all the way through to the back to retain torque.

The 3.0 benefits from a good intake and exhuast system and a tune.

If he has no post cat sensors then it's a non issue though, right?

nah they a run a slightly adjusted tune for cats vs no cats. However it seems they didnt get into that marlarky until the later engines.

If you are running a targa car I would suggest a standalone computer and tune.

And then you would be able to remove the cat and tune to suit.