Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Car audio advice

I have an older Merc and want to put a decent sound system in it. The car is completely original and I want to keep it looking as clean as possible.

Can anyone recommend a good car stereo installer in Auckland that won't butcher my car?

Also, I haven't bought a car stereo since I pimped out my E30 when I was at high school nearly 15 years ago! Can anyone recommend a good plain looking head unit that will play CD and have an aux input? At this stage I will just get a decent head unit and upgrade the factory speakers - no amps, subs etc

I always rated Alpine & Blaupunkt for good sound & gimmick free looks. I cant stand flashing blue graphic equalizers & related crap...

Tried Paul Money in Mt Eden? Like you, i haven't had to buy an aftermarket stereo for years but got my last one from Paul Money. They used to have a good selection of quality kit & I think they did install as well.

IMHO Kenwood and JVC can be programmed to suit your tastes. I particularly like http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/cd-players/jvc/auction-703897910.htm or this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/cd-players/kenwood/auction-704922859.htm ... would install one of these once I sort out the fluctuating power supply.

Edited by The Juggernaut

I'm not an expert on much when it comes to my BMW so I tend to throw money at things to make sure they're done properly the first time. Hence came my first experience with Rapid Radio.

Only had to tell Mark what car I had (E34) and he knew I'd want something that went with it, none of this flashy chrome or graphics crap. He gave me a couple of head unit recommendations in different price brackets and I chose the mid-range Sony MEX-GS600bt http://rapidradio-px.rtrk.com.au/Product-Catalogue(99).asp?ProductCategoryId=1&ProductId=996, basically because the one-colour display can be any of 256 colours so I've matched it to all the other orange interior lights https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpfmy07hxemkucm/IMAG0428.jpg (photo not the best, head unit is a bit too bright but this can be adjusted also; looks perfect in person).

I wasn't looking to replace speakers or anything at that stage (E34 factory ones are generally excellent as mine are) but he drew me out a plan of the car and made some suggestions for me to think about when the time came. Install was perfectly clean with a USB input running to the glovebox so a pen drive just sits in there with all my music on it. Can also be used for your phone to charge on those long road trips just like a normal USB port and play music over bluetooth or through the AUX input. Plenty of other features I don't even know about and obviously does all the basic things well.

All in all I couldn't be happier with that particular head unit and the service of Rapid Radio. Actually going back there this weekend to check out some 'parking sensors' if you know what I mean.

Edited by OOM500

If your looking at the higher end of the audio spectrum then the pioneer deh-80prs is worth a look. Has slightly retro styling and if you go down the slippery slope of high end car audio at a later date it has every possible feature for running time alignment , active speakers etc.

and I chose the mid-range Sony MEX-GS600bt http://rapidradio-px.rtrk.com.au/Product-Catalogue(99).asp?ProductCategoryId=1&ProductId=996, basically because the one-colour display can be any of 256 colours so I've matched it to all the other orange interior lights

have that same headunit, and, yes its good, but i find that it seems to intermittently pause my iPhone, and sometimes get very hot and stop all together. Im going to take it back, but something to be aware of.

Having said that, historically, have never had a problem with any Sony gear whether it be in any of my cars over the years or in the house, so i still stick by my words saying Sony is probably one of the best bang for buck brands out there. I only ever fit Sony headunits mine and friends cars.

My sony gear over the years has been a bit hit and miss. Brought a high end unit and had the tuner and face ribbon connector fail which was replaced under warranty. With the 24 bit system dacs you need to watch playing mp3s as the sampling rate is 96 kHz on many of them rather than 2 x sampling @ 88.2 I find on the wife's system the fore runner to the above (all sony xs ) wma and mp3 s don't sound as good as they should.

Edited by Neal