Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

18x8&9 Style5 / bbs rc rebuild

So I got these of Jasjot a month ago as a rebuild project and so far have had them checked for straightness and had the lips skimmed to get rid of the curb rash.

Over the weekend I built...the device! So I can start sanding and polishing them. Seems I work pretty well.

Have split one and sanded and polished but it's still not shiney enough so may need more time with the buffing wheel. Here's some pics of progress so far

post-5102-0-25837600-1394959885.jpgpost-5102-0-64651000-1394959896.jpgpost-5102-0-47560100-1394959909.jpgpost-5102-0-76348800-1394959922.jpgpost-5102-0-48507100-1394959938.jpgpost-5102-0-42163600-1394959955.jpgpost-5102-0-69583800-1394959965.jpg

And these are the centres they're going to have

post-5102-0-37798000-1394959979_thumb.jppost-5102-0-88659100-1394959995.jpg

Also getting gold spiked bolts to hold it all together

post-5102-0-03822100-1394960277.jpg

Still unsure what colour to do centres, mostly because I don't know what car it's going on yet

Well hello there. What do you intend to put these on once you're done and how many sexual favours will it take for you to give it to me?

Looking good, I've polished a couple sets of wheels now. If you have or can get access to a bench grinder with a polishing wheel. That and a tube of Autosol finish them off nicely

Well hello there. What do you intend to put these on once you're done and how many sexual favours will it take for you to give it to me?

Haha still unsure wether they will go in the M3 or the wagon, and I don't think there will be enough sexual favours to cover the what these are going to cost me. New bolts and nuts is about 600 alone!

Looking good, I've polished a couple sets of wheels now. If you have or can get access to a bench grinder with a polishing wheel. That and a tube of Autosol finish them off nicely

Yea brought a bench grinder the other day but have been using an electric drill that spins at 3000rpm with the buffing wheel on that with a flexovit compound then finish with mothers wheel polish and cleaned wax

Yea brought a bench grinder the other day but have been using an electric drill that spins at 3000rpm with the buffing wheel on that with a flexovit compound then finish with mothers wheel polish and cleaned wax

Love the ingenuity of this solution!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm trying to hold it in my pants..... sorry guys...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm trying to hold it in my pants..... sorry guys...

You probably know already but a friendly reminder to NOT use too much polishing bar etc! Be suuuuper stingy with the bar as you'll just end up with an even layer of dark gunk you won't be able to get off, which will never look shiny.

If your buffing wheel has become no longer fluffy, you may have used too much!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You probably know already but a friendly reminder to NOT use too much polishing bar etc! Be suuuuper stingy with the bar as you'll just end up with an even layer of dark gunk you won't be able to get off, which will never look shiny.

If your buffing wheel has become no longer fluffy, you may have used too much!

bollocks

Have heard mixed remarks on the amount to use, some say lots, some say little but I think that all depends on what product they're using. I found using less is best with this stuff. As with what Howard said is true.

bollocks 

Ha, care to expand? I'm no expert and would love to learn more about it.

From 4 years of personal experience I find less is definitely best. If you are putting so much compound on your metal, what you'll find is with amateur/excessive heat and friction the compound will change properties slightly and clump into very thin slivers. These slivers will catch any other compound on the buffing wheel and grow in size, leaving tiny dark marks in the metal which need to get picked off or wiped off aggressively.

I've also seen that polishing with too much compound will cause whatever little metal you abrade to stick into the compound and smear onto your metal, forming a thin "protective" film of compound which you end up buffing for ages instead of the underlying metal itself.

The compound I've used is waxed based and as wax, it tends to melt and change properties with temperature changes in the metal. Other cream-based compounds may behave differently and I cannot comment on those.

It all comes down to what compound you are using

If you're having problems with friction keep the surface lubricated with kerosene

Thanks for the info. Havnt had a chance to get back to it yet, maybe Friday night and weekend. Still need to put those rear camber arms in the wagon tho

Recommend getting some poor boys branded wheel sealant. This stuff makes cleaning your shiny wheels a breeze, and protects from brake dust eating away at the glossy finish. Its around 50bux from a distributor in tauranga but the pot will last u ages. Can send u link to his site if u want.

Recommend getting some poor boys branded wheel sealant. This stuff makes cleaning your shiny wheels a breeze, and protects from brake dust eating away at the glossy finish. Its around 50bux from a distributor in tauranga but the pot will last u ages. Can send u link to his site if u want.

Yea that sounds like something I'd defiantly need!!! Link please!!!!

Have seen a few M3s with those wheels and they look amaaaaaazing! What offset are the 5s? Any arch flaring on the horizon? :)

Cheers for that Martin!

And Matt, yes they do look good! My M3 already has 17x8 style5s on it :).

The 8s are 20p and the 9s are 22 I think and depending on what car they go on should be pretty good for guard room, if they're on the wagon they have 20mm spacers aswell :)

Cheers for that Martin!

And Matt, yes they do look good! My M3 already has 17x8 style5s on it :).

The 8s are 20p and the 9s are 22 I think and depending on what car they go on should be pretty good for guard room, if they're on the wagon they have 20mm spacers aswell :)

I've got 18x9.5 et21 on the rear of my wagon, I think I might have to step up my game if you are going to rock the 20mm spacers!!

Edited by Gaz

Haha here's a sample pic for ya then with spacers and camber armspost-5102-0-91170300-1395400060.jpgpost-5102-0-40720800-1395400072_thumb.jp

Two sets is just being greedy!! Are the M3 arches any more flared than a standard E36? Your wagon needs a 3 litre too ;)

Nah body's all the same I believe with the e36s which is kinda suck, makes it hard to pick a genuine one to an m kitted one with a trademe m3 badge. And yes m3 touring would be tits! Mate in the uk might be having to find a doner car to send over

Bolts showed up today. Bling bling!!

post-5102-0-53483400-1395734286_thumb.jppost-5102-0-27188400-1395734306.jpg