Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

New Zealand New BMW E36 M3 Evo Sedans

Some E36 M3 Evo Sedan fans might be interested in this info.
Most people seem to believe that BMW NZ imported 10 examples into the country. I want to dispel this myth and confirm that 14 were imported and sold new. I understand 694 RHD examples were built most of these for the UK market.

The colour breakdown for the NZ examples are:

X1 Dakar Yellow
X1 Estoril Blue
X2 Hell Red
X2 Byzanz Metallic
X2 Boston Green (one has Modena Natur Nappa leather)
X2 Techno Violet (one repainted sliver, the others reg has lapsed or been written-off)
X4 Cosmos Black (one SMG)

All examples have Black Nappa leather apart from the Boston Green example with Modena Natur Nappa leather.

Also known is one Dakar Yellow South African import.

As most E36 M3 sedan fans know "Vader" seats were not available in sedans. The leather equipped seats did not have Motorsport stripes on them, yet the South African built (and NZ new) E36 318is Motorsports feature Motorsport stripes. You would think that if any car deserved the Motorsport stripes it should have been the M3.

Sculpted side valance panels (as fitted to M3 coupe and convertible) became standard on M3 sedan from 9/96 (production)

Edited by Golfboy666GTI

Quite interesting info you have there, do you know if we have any Avus Blue E36 Evo in the country? Or how many M3's were brought in with that colour? Cheers

Quite interesting info you have there, do you know if we have any Avus Blue E36 Evo in the country? Or how many M3's were brought in with that colour? Cheers

As in Coupes and Cabs? I dont know. Im a fan of the sedans .

Edit: I just looked Avus blue up, it looks like it wasnt available on Evos apart from the South African assembled examples.

Edited by Golfboy666GTI

One of the members here has one. can't quite recall if it's an Evo though. Either way, WANT!

Alright il say it... How many Dakar yellow evo coupes?

Good to see this info thanks. Was aware of the numbers made, but not of the colour breakdown. We have one of the Byzanz models. We have been told that it had been bought intothe country by BMW NZ as a evaluation vehicle, not certain on this though. Would love to know where all the rest of them are. Think one of the cosmos black models are in the hawkes bay along with the South African Dakar Yellow. Where did you get your info from?

post-51094-0-96420700-1395045765.jpeg

You guys that are E36 M3 Evo coupe fans might want to set set up your own thread :)

If you have the answer just post it otherwise say so... either way we'll move on quickly. :)

Sorry, I dont have the answer.

• Like 1

Sam will have it .. there is a spread sheet he has with quite a bit of this research on it. Will see if I can find it in my email.

I have a 96 Hell Red, Evo M3 sedan here in Christchurch and met its identical twin brother late last year from Queenstown. Mine looks to be a private new import which came into the country in '96. Speedo is in kms. So thats 2 red cars in the South Island, I wonder how many more there are.

Edited by brockie123

Yeah .. the thing with official records .. they dont always reflect reality. Not ragging on any ones facts posted here.. just over time things change and claims around weather cars were NZ and not NZ new are thrown around. EG imports from aussie that are called NZ new.

PS posted something I found in my email about early F1 specs :) ... sitting in the general forum.

My colleagues brother owns a 4 door techno violet one (has been resprayed a different color though) and is selling due to going overseas.

What a coincidence that I saw this! Anyone interested? I don't think he is on the forums etc so there won't be much visibility for the sale.

Any idea how much it would be worth? Quite painful hearing my other colleagues asking real generic questions about it. He doesn't have a price in mind somehow..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

He's said he's looking for 10, but is willing to go slightly less.

I'm not interested in it myself, as my hands are full, but I will ask for you mate.

From what little I know, he's had it for 2 years. Previous owner was someone in Hamilton who commuted to Auckland, so there are around 280,000 hot kms there.

Another colleague is pretty serious as he needs a car and has caught the BMW bug from me. He's offering around 9, but its all pretty preliminary

My colleagues brother owns a 4 door techno violet one (has been resprayed a different color though) and is selling due to going overseas.What a coincidence that I saw this! Anyone interested? I don't think he is on the forums etc so there won't be much visibility for the sale.Any idea how much it would be worth? Quite painful hearing my other colleagues asking real generic questions about it. He doesn't have a price in mind somehow..Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thats now sliver isnt it? Done around 280,000kms?

Can you still see the purple in some areas?

This car:

ff81cdcfe4e626f5fbd220c187724d57_zpsf720

That's seems to be the one my friend. How did you know about it? Lol are you Jeff?

But really, according to the serious colleague the seller said it is completely standard apart from the recolour and the interior is reupholstered. What this entails, I am not sure. Probably just seats. Full service history as well.

Comments?

Edit: oh, also a big thing, the techno violet is still visible in the engine bay. So I'm assuming still visible in other areas as well.

Edited by tidyverty

Why would you paint over a sweet cour like techno violet with plain old silver?

• Like 2

Why would you paint over a sweet cour like techno violet with plain old silver?

Agreed! I would never buy a bmw or any car silver. Just so plain and generic

Mate, I have no idea either. It was previous owner I think, so some self conscious Hamiltonian? Ha, who knows.

He should be taken outside and beaten. Techno violet is the only colour I'd want.

www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-708302801.htm

Although I just realised it's non evo - semi relevant.

Edited by MLee

So I've seen 3 m3s for sale now, each around +$17k. $10k for a silver one at 280k kms seems slightly low? I've always kind of skimmed over e36 info, but anyone able to offer some insight?

www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-708302801.htm

Although I just realised it's non evo - semi relevant.

I only know of two 3.0 sedans in NZ (could be more?), but I dont know if any are NZ new? The one in the link above is exHong Kong, the other is the daytona violet exUK car. It is/was owned by a BS member?

Jut a quick question, was there ever a 4 door sedan m3 Evo made??