Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

New Zealand New BMW E36 M3 Evo Sedans

Probably should start a new thread but I am interested to know what oil you guys are running in your transmissions and if you have what I think is "drivetrain lash" basically some clunking coming on and off power in lower gears.

Unsure what oil is in it but will find out. Dont have any unusal noises.What colour is your? Have you got some pictures you could show?

The cosmos black car converted to a race car lives in Havelock North and is owned by Gordon Smith. He came to the last bimmersport track day at Taupo. Is a very quick and well sorted car.

Does anyone know where the second brayanz car is? We have blpxxx

Unsure what oil is in it but will find out. Dont have any unusal noises.What colour is your? Have you got some pictures you could show?

Dakar Yellow, picture embedded above. I have checked most stuff, I'd be keen to have a drive in another as I have owned numerous e36s but this is my first M3. There is much conjecture on Internet forums about what is normal.

I had a similar clunking which furned out to be my diff mountings cracked. Not a major to fix.

Probably should start a new thread but I am interested to know what oil you guys are running in your transmissions and if you have what I think is "drivetrain lash" basically some clunking coming on and off power in lower gears.

Edited by atlantiskiwi

I had a similar clunking which furned out to be my diff mountings cracked. Not a major to fix.

Cool I am going to get the car up on stands in a couple of days to change all the oils so will give the whole drive train a good going over then. A lot of overseas forums talk about a normal drivetrain lash in these cars but I just want to be sure.

at that milage probably suspension bushings etc are at the end of thier life

at that milage probably suspension bushings etc are at the end of thier life

Yep mine are at the end of their second lives lol.

Suspension and bushes all pretty much all been replaced 10 k ago so shoukd be fine. Pretty sure it's drive train related.

Yea I have a similar issue and the only bush/mounts I haven't replaced are engine and gearbox mounts. All the rest are less than 2000kms old. Backlash in diff probably needs done

Just an update the minor clunk is just a little bit of play in the drive shaft spline where it goes into the diff, nothing to be worried about. Otherwise it all seems pretty solid under there.

• Like 1

So the numbers and whereabouts of the 14 no. evo sedans has been pretty well covered but how about the rest of the E36 M3s? I'm curious to know the approximate number of M3 coupes in NZ. Does anyone have any information on this?

I can pull the info from NZTA when I get a few minutes. Flat tack at the moment, just having a quick squizz on here during lunch.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, bradgalbraith said:

So the numbers and whereabouts of the 14 no. evo sedans has been pretty well covered but how about the rest of the E36 M3s? I'm curious to know the approximate number of M3 coupes in NZ. Does anyone have any information on this?

From what I can gather, there are currently 17 NZ new 3.2 Coupes, and a couple of imports. Older cars, say pre 2000's are harder to define due to the original data entry.

Interesting! So its likely that there are around 100 or less E36 M3s in the country. More rare than I would have thought.

No wonder it took over 2 years for me to find one..

That few nz new ones? I feel special to have one of them then!

• Like 1

Hmmm.  My NZ new 1996 E36 M3 was Techno Violet with Violet Blue leather and is still alive and kicking in Auckland.  My second NZ new E36 M3, 1998, was also Techno Violet and did in fact have Black leather.  That is also alive and well and was recently sold in Palmerston North.  Not sure how correct your information is.

Estoril Blue over Lotus White w/contrast (black seat plastics), BMW Individual, apparently the only coupe in the world with the combo.

?

Edited by M3AN

On 4/15/2015 at 9:55 AM, Hoags said:

Just an update the minor clunk is just a little bit of play in the drive shaft spline where it goes into the diff, nothing to be worried about. Otherwise it all seems pretty solid under there.

So after changing the, prop shaft gearbox pinion guide bearing, the guibo (flex disk) the centre support bearing and the rear CV seal the clunk is gone. Most of the parts that came out where in good condition, I think it was either a lack of the tacky gum stuff on top of the centre bearing or incorrect / No forward preload on the centre bearing. Anyway another m-clunk gone!