Sign in to follow this  
sam726

E39 Rear View + Video In

Hi Bimmersporters.

I have something in mind I'm wanting to try and hook up but not sure if it will actually work or not so I'll explain a little further and hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a E39 with the factory 16:9 widescreen + tv tuner and navigation (Japan Import).

I'm wanting to install a reversing camera into the car, which I understand is relatively easy to do based on online instructions (adding a relay to make it auto switch when in reverse) and connect to the factory video input on the tv tuner.

I want to then confuse things a little. Since I've ripped out the Japan navigation I thought it would be cool if I could rig up my mobile to the front monitor and use it for google maps etc... In my mind I can imagine using a video out to mini hdmi adapter for my LG G2, then use a HDMI to RCA adapter to convert this to an appropriate signal for the car and then somehow attach this to the video input also.
The thing is that the standard video input I believe will automatically play audio from the video input source (which is mono and crap and I don't want, I'd rather keep the radio or CD Changer going while the display shows my mobile), however from what I understand when using a reversing camera switch the radio or cd audio will keep playing in the background. Also I think the standard AV channel will turn off when the car is moving?

I'm wondering how hard (if even possible) do you think it would be to have a system where I have two video sources into one video output on a splitter. I.E. Reverse Camera + RCA Input output to reverse camera input. Then as well as having a relay to turn on the reverse camera when the cars in reverse I'd also want a switch so that I could manually fool the tv tuner into thinking the cars in reverse, and then somehow have the two video sources switchable. Essentially this means I could switch on the reverse camera or secondary video input manually and still have the reverse camera switching on when I put the car in reverse.

I have attached a rather crappy, but somewhat useful diagram to try explain it a bit visually.

Apologies in advance for being a bit naive towards this and for any mistakes I've made!!

Cheers

post-5845-0-89245000-1395366937.jpg

I think the main issue you will have is the BMW screen is ten year old technology and really poor resolution.

I think the main issue you will have is the BMW screen is ten year old technology and really poor resolution.

As far as I can find out the resolution is 400x230 or really close to that.

Did you mean that it would cause an issue as it would be really bad viewing quality or that there would actually be an incompatibility between what I'm trying to input and what the screen can handle?

Cheers!

Hi Sam, did you ever manage to get this done? Or anything similar?

• Like 1