Sign in to follow this  
sam726

Style 42 Refinishing Advice Please

I'm currently in the process of organising to refinish my 2-Piece Style 42's. I have 18x9s on the back and 18x8s on the front. All have minor curb rash, clear coat peel and cracking on the lips and one has a small bend in the inner lip.

I have just been ringing around a few places and getting full quotes for $250-$300+ per wheel from Arrow Wheels, Wheel Fix it etc...

I also made an enquiry to a welding/engineering service in Penrose who have quoted a very nice $120 per wheel which is if I take the tyres off and take in just the wheels; then they will seperate them and machine and polish up the lips to a shiny mirror finish :D although this doesn't include clear coating. My local tyre guy will happily take off the tyres and then refit and balance when they come back for around $30/wheel, so really looking at $150 per wheel but without clear coating.

Is it worth getting the wheels re-finished without clear coating them and just keep up with aluminium polishing? I clean my car weekly, if not more, so I don't really have an issue with polishing them up but I'm wondering whether I should be forking out to re-clear them too?

And if anyone has any great idea of places to try for quotes etc... I'm all ears.

Ta,

(have attached a picture for reference)

post-5845-0-98515300-1395606731.jpg

For what it's worth that's a similar quote to the ones I got for similar work on my BBS RC's. If I put in the leg work myself I could save maybe $80 a wheel. Not sure it's worth the time and effort.

In my various discussions I was told that the clear does more to stop pitting than it really does to assist cleaning. Pitted wheels will also become more and more difficult to clean over time.

I think for nice wheels a clear coat (or two) is probably worth it.

Thanks man,

I think your right about the clear coating, could be worth it. Although i want to keep the budget as low as possible.

Just saw on my wanted to buy post that 'e39 tour' is selling some wider style 42s so might wait to have a think about those first before I make any decisions about the refinishing.

Clear coat will make them much easier to clean, unfortunately polished aluminium is one of the worst things to get paint or powdercoat to stick to, thats why it peels off all the time! If you are happy to polish them every week, dont bother with the clear coat, if you are lazy like me, powdercoat them black so you only have to clean them once a year!:)

Clear coat will make them much easier to clean, unfortunately polished aluminium is one of the worst things to get paint or powdercoat to stick to, thats why it peels off all the time! If you are happy to polish them every week, dont bother with the clear coat, if you are lazy like me, powdercoat them black so you only have to clean them once a year! :)

Hi Andrew,

Definitely not opposed to polishing them and not having to clear coat, but would they really need polishing every week? Could be worth the extra to get them clear coated if so.

Cheers!

+1 for not clearing. It will never stick properly. Give them a quick wipe with Autosol once every couple of weeks will keep them looking like new.

• Like 1

+1 for not clearing. It will never stick properly. Give them a quick whip with Autosol once every couple of weeks will keep them looking like new.

Cool think I'll go for this option, can't go past the price too at $120 a wheel I can't complain. Will be sure to post some before and after pics before they go in!

Now I just need to find a safe cleaner to use for the wheels, assuming an all purpose cleaner/degreaser at a lower end dilution will be fine. I normally Meguiars Wheel Brightener at 10:1 dilution but I think as its acid based would be too harsh for uncoated aluminium.

^^ that. Aluminium is one of the most reactive metals around, as soon as oxygen comes in contact with it, oxidisation starts. Once a week is probably over the top, and most good polishes will have something in them to slow the oxidisation down, but it will be worse if they get wet etc, and if you dont keep them polished they will oxidise badly!

^^ that. Aluminium is one of the most reactive metals around, as soon as oxygen comes in contact with it, oxidisation starts. Once a week is probably over the top, and most good polishes will have something in them to slow the oxidisation down, but it will be worse if they get wet etc, and if you dont keep them polished they will oxidise badly!

I think i'll just polish every couple weeks or so and use a wheel wax to try and keep them looking as good as possible as long as possible!

My rc's arnt clear coated and only need to polish maybe once a month if that. And I only wash them with normal car wash then use miguires cleaner wax to protect them but have been told about some other stuff that looks like the ticket

Edited by euroriffic
  • Like 1

Sounds good, better get some!

My rc's arnt clear coated and only need to polish maybe once a month if that. And I only wash them with normal car wash then use miguires cleaner wax to protect them but have been told about some other stuff that looks like the ticket

Hey thanks for the info that's good to know. I think ill be investing in a mother's powercone, seems to be the easy way of getting the job done. Will throw some sealant on and should be good, I have some special wheel wax which I can use.

Looks good!

That`s a great looking car by the way..

Should look even greater once the wheels are done! :-)

Just be careful with those powercone / powerball things, i used one with wheel cleaner (mothers) to clean my wheels (obviously) when i finished i rinsed it with clean water and put it away, next time i went to use it the whole thing disintegrated!! Was a very unhappy camper!:(

So off they go!
Going to just go without the clear coat for now and keep the polishing up. Have included a few quick before photos here and will show some good after photos once they're done nearer end of week.

Thanks Lucan for the Style 66s to borrow.

post-5845-0-92894500-1396219310.jpg

post-5845-0-71884700-1396219354.jpg

post-5845-0-55963100-1396219360.jpg

post-5845-0-11630400-1396219366.jpg

post-5845-0-09114800-1396219370.jpg

post-5845-0-15062300-1396219377.jpg

post-5845-0-99158600-1396219383.jpg

post-5845-0-28632000-1396219398.jpg

post-5845-0-15877600-1396219404.jpg

post-5845-0-73018600-1396219409.jpg

Just be careful with those powercone / powerball things, i used one with wheel cleaner (mothers) to clean my wheels (obviously) when i finished i rinsed it with clean water and put it away, next time i went to use it the whole thing disintegrated!! Was a very unhappy camper! :(

That's good to know, I did always wonder how they would stand up over time.

Think I'll try by hand to start with, a bit of manual labour is good for ya

They look to be in similar cond to mine. Should come up real nice, one of my fav wheels.