Sign in to follow this  
conrod

E30 race car- part 1

Hah! I found both of those links yesterday, you were obviously trolling on S14.net. The seller of the centrelock hubs on EGay has some wheels as well, there are on my watchlist!

Guest Spargo

Troll yes, don't post. I spend enough time spouting off here!

Good for info if you can avoid the jingoism.

OT: Considering your offer at work now.

Just set my alarm for 3.20am so I could get up and bid on my Ebay brakes- and won the auction with FOUR SECONDS to spare (only way to bid!) Anyway, check out these bad boys, 8 piston/4 pad calipers with water cooling and 15 INCH rotors- the old E30 will think it has hit something when I jump on that middle pedal!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by conrod

rather large

kinda badass

interesting to see how you go installing emt..15" is massive

If you put your foot down on that pedal hard enough, brains may actually be forced out of your skull through your nose.

LMNO- a new one I had to invent for this- it is laughing my nuts off!!!!

Okay, I admit, there was a small amount of "toss value" in going for something that big and elaborate, but economically it made sense, as it was less than a new AP setup of much smaller proportions, as well it fitted my criteria of really good brakes and suspension, to offset the standard engine I will be running. Yes they will fit, check the wheel pics out, they are massive and will actually take a larger setup than this.And as for my brains coming out through my nose, I may just have to remove it before hopping in! cheers guys, I'm looking forward to getting this one going!

Edited by conrod

really.. they'll fit ?

They'll already be half liquified from the way an E30 corners anyway haha

Conrod I hope you are going to use dual master cylinders & balance bar [pedalbox] for that set-up , otherwise the maths to calculate brake balance through a single master cylinder can be quite tricky. Set-up right you will have "Dog at the end of it's chain" stopping power

LOL, and I though mine were a bit OTT!!

What are you doing for shock Conrod??

Something more elaborate than run of the mill Koni coilovers, Maybe some tasty triple adjustable Moton's or JRZ's??

With all this effort I'm suprised your going to run a trailing arm backend, a nice double wishbone setup would be the business.

Looking forward to getting those monsters on the front, the calipers are a foot long ! But very light(2.8kg) as are the rotors, which are more hat than rotor. Yes definitely running a pedal box, I have bought some very trick Alcon master cylinders and am going to have the base cnc'd out of a solid block of ali, along with the pedals- should be quite trick! Have just bought some big AP rear calipers as well. Suspension wise I am thinking Reiger, they are very good quality (some say as good as Ohlins)and very easy to service/change valving etc. not 100% decided on that yet, I still have a bit of homework to do on that regarding pricing and getting the parts made to my spec.as none of it will be "off the shelf" I'll run with the MZ3 trailing arms to start with, with suitable adjustments welded on to the ends,and maybe some bracing added, otherwise it will take forever to get completed. I would like to fit Gp.A trailing arms to it, but that would be a case of trying to find some, I think the standard MZ3 ones, properly set up with good shocks/springs should give it pretty good grip to start with.Meanwhile, a pic of one of the master cylinders I am using, and a link which describes the setup (last three paragraphs)

http://www.all4engineers.com/index.php;do=...9b50fb049885347

post-5-1144098490.jpg

Edited by conrod

otherwise it will take forever to get completed.

Tell me about it, it takes for ever doing it the easy way most of the time!!

So are those MC's are floating, ie. pivoted at the rear. rather than fixed??

Look very nice!!

Is the car going to be road legal? ie. Certed??

Yes thats right, they are floating. They take a spherical bearing at the back end, and basically follow the arc of the pedal at the pedal end. They look very cool, and weigh next to nothing! Yes it will be road legal, I plan on doing the odd tarmac rally or two, so it needs to be regd and wofd, I'll keep it as a 318i auto! Still badged that way too!

A bit of an update on the project. Progress seems a bit slow at the moment, but this prep stuff always takes a while. I have completely stripped the car down to a shell, and it is on a rotisserie. After spending MANY days with a a heat gun and putty knife, I have removed all of the rubberized underseal. It was on quite thick in places, the upside of all this is a perfectly preserved shell underneath, with not a trace of rust! I have swept up all the bits of underseal and put them in a rubbish bag, and will weigh them just out of curiosity, but I reckon it feels like 20 kilos! Next stage is some seam welding, as well as "tubbing" the rear wheelarches, and panelling over the hole in the boot where the spare wheel recess once was. I drilled out the spotwelds and removed it as my new wheels do not fit in there as they are too big, it weighed a bit, and also there will be a diffuser mounted under the boot floor extending from the rear axle all the way to the rear of the car.

post-5-1149324385.jpg

Edited by conrod

and another shot showing the large hole left in the boot floor!....

post-5-1149324614.jpg

two of my fav things!

e30's and spit roasts!

Just set my alarm for 3.20am so I could get up and bid on my Ebay brakes- and won the auction with FOUR SECONDS to spare (only way to bid!) Anyway, check out these bad boys, 8 piston/4 pad calipers with water cooling and 15 INCH rotors- the old E30 will think it has hit something when I jump on that middle pedal!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

HOE MY GOD!

Conrad, When I'm rich, you can source all my parts for the 190E Cosworth series. :P

Those brakes are awesome!

Looking good Conrad.

What was the reasoning behind removing the spare wheel well??

Would be perfect for a well cell!?!?!

Did you get the underside media blasted?? or some hard manual labour??

How is the pedal box coming along??

Edited by E30-323ti

Hello Glenn,

I removed the spare wheel well because the wheels I am using are too large in diameter to fit, and as described above I intend to fit a diffuser under the rear, so this creates the space for that. Also there was a weight saving by removing it.

Fuel tank wise, I am going to use a late F/L 325i tank, which will give me 65 litres, plus I have one of those long range (25L I think) tanks that goes behind the rear seat, this gives the advantage of keeping all of that dead weight as close to the centre of the car as possible, I never did like the setup they ran in the Gp.A cars with the big fuel tank in the boot of the car.I may cut the 25L tank and enlarge it to 35 or 45 litres, as I intend to race in the endurance series with the car. The only downside is that if I do a tarmac rally, I will have to make a spare wheel holder on the boot floor, but not a big problem really.

Stripped underseal with heat gun and scraper (hard labour!) and pedal box hasn't been started yet, although I have bought some more of those master cylinders, so I now have nearly all the different sizes.

BMW Power- yes those brakes are awesome, a pity the wheels will completely hide them, maybe I will have to put the car on stands and take the wheels off whenever I am sitting in the pits for a bit of pose value?!!!!!!

Looks like you are going the hole nine yards! Im definatly looking forward to seeing this up and running, how much has it cost you so far? approx?

I bow down to your patience - heatgun and scraper - must have taken weeks!!! :bowdown:

Yes many weeks, although consisting mostly of a few hours here and there,and 1 blown heatgun along the way, probably 30 or 40 hours in total I would guess. And I weighed it today, only 10kgs of underseal :( but it did need doing regardless. Spare wheel well is 4.5kgs, and miscellaneous brackets removed were 3 kgs, so 17.5 kgs out of the shell is a good start. That is the hard part when you are trying to lose weight out of a car, it rarely comes out in big chunks, it is always a little here and a little there..........

I don't know what it has cost so far, I will be keeping tabs on it, but mostly just the purchase of the wrecked M3 for $10K, which was offset by selling a lot of unwanted bits, and the E30 "donor car", plus the wheels and a few other bits. I don't think I have spent much over $10K in total so far, but some big ticket items are coming up soon, such as the rollcage/seats so I might be on the vegemite sandwiches for a few months! :D