Sign in to follow this  
Mark

AC Schnitzer E30 project log

Hi all, haven't posted any pics of the E30 since I got it back, so here's a couple. As many of you know I sold this car three years ago and recently got the opportunity to buy it back. I'd always regretted selling it so it was a no-brainer really.

Changes since I sold it:

- Fitted with correct size 205/50/15 RE001's

- Koni adjustables in front paired with the H&R springs I put in

- Braided brake lines

Specs for those who don't know the car

'87 325i sedan (SA built)

Manual conversion with Z3 short shift

Rebuilt M20B25

AC Schnitzer body kit

15" BBS RS 001's

Lowered on H&R sport springs

Lots of things to be done as funds allow but in terms of driveability it's now sorted to the point where I can just enjoy it.

post-2031-0-86994900-1396061369.jpg

post-2031-0-71262700-1396061390.jpg

post-2031-0-03633400-1396061408.jpg

post-2031-0-23103200-1396061424.jpg

• Like 3

Thats one beautiful E30, always nice to see one like this (especially the non cracked dash). Real credit to ya

There's always something to modify or fix when you own an E30. Been doing a few things as funds and time allow:

Painted the scuttle panel vents

post-2031-0-82884400-1440829955.jpg

installed some parts I bought from Pelican:

New expansion tank... so fresh and white!

post-2031-0-31353900-1440830033.jpg

New fusebox cover.... this took ages to install.

post-2031-0-95887100-1440830074.jpg

Currently removing the old underbonnet insulation so I can install some new stuff. Making a mess...

post-2031-0-56412600-1440830165.jpg

Some other parts to go on:

Headers. Will give these a paint / wrap with exhaust wrap.

post-2031-0-53479200-1440830305.jpg

750i master cylinder

post-2031-0-38919100-1440830337.jpg

• Like 1

Gorgeous E30.

What are you using to remove the insulation?

is your fuse box cover clipped on correctly? i brought one new and the tab isnt around enough to hold it on. could force it round but i dont think the plastic is overly strong.

Gorgeous E30.

What are you using to remove the insulation?

Vacuumed off the crumbling foam then sprayed liberally with paintbrush cleaner (same as wax and grease remover or panel wipe). Let it soak in then used an old plastic card from my wallet to scrape the glue off.

is your fuse box cover clipped on correctly? i brought one new and the tab isnt around enough to hold it on. could force it round but i dont think the plastic is overly strong.

This one clips on properly but is a reproduction part. I bought a genuine BMW one but I also had issues clipping it on. I think it's to do with the genuine ones being new old stock and the rubber seal is no longer soft enough to let it seal properly.

The one I'm using is from Guten Parts, looks identical to the genuine one except no BMW logo.

Finished the bonnet insulation.

post-2031-0-17869500-1440901678.jpg

And it's only a small thing, but one of favourite parts I've bought so far - new key blanks with the little light that actually works! Much OEM!

post-2031-0-94861200-1440901834.jpg

post-2031-0-38520400-1440901861.jpg

• Like 6

Looks awesome! Would love to do the insulation job on mine one day. Can I ask what the deal is with the 7 series master cyl?

750i master cylinder is a bolt on upgrade for E30's (has to be the 25mm one from an E32). Improves the squishy pedal feel that most E30's have.

• Like 1

Thats good to know, cheers mate. Kudos again for a super tidy E30

Fantastic example, now I have to work towards a similar look with my 2 door, rebuild the engine next year, then work on some minor kit repair / adjustment and repaint.

I thought you sold your E30 many years ago, in fact didn't I sell you my Tech 1 rear spoiler that I always regretted selling?

Edited by Phatputer

Fantastic example, now I have to work towards a similar look with my 2 door, rebuild the engine next year, then work on some minor kit repair / adjustment and repaint.

I thought you sold your E30 many years ago, in fact didn't I sell you my Tech 1 rear spoiler that I always regretted selling?

Yeah, I sold it and then 3 years later I bought it back cos I missed it!

I'm not actually sure what happened to that spoiler you sold me... I sold it with the car but it's not on it now. I totally forgot about it over the three years of not owning the car haha!

Yeah, I sold it and then 3 years later I bought it back cos I missed it!

I'm not actually sure what happened to that spoiler you sold me... I sold it with the car but it's not on it now. I totally forgot about it over the three years of not owning the car haha!

All good, well I never got rid of mine, also have the Schnitzer front and the rest of mine is Hartge, which are the same sides and very similar rear, plan over the next few years will be get mine to a similar look as yours but in a deep green instead.

Found a South African E30 at Pick a Part so raided it for a bunch of small things that I needed.

Most importantly was the cabin fan motor, resistor and the fan speed switch. The cabin fan was asthmatic and the speed control switch didn't actually switch anymore, there was no "click" between speeds, just a smooth motion from 1-4.

Pulled both of these from the Pick-a-part E30 along with the fan speed resistor. Gave the new motor a clean up and installed it. Now fan speed 4 feels like a minor hurricane rather than a wheezing octogenarian.

post-2031-0-32280800-1446345078.jpg

post-2031-0-43409300-1446345058.jpg

post-2031-0-04335800-1446345042.jpg

Other parts I grabbed were a couple of door seals for the ones that had perished or got holes in them. Left hand side door sill trims, b-pillar trims, the air box duct cos the old one had had a screwdriver through it at some point, boot catch trim to replace my scratched and cracked one and a RHS foglight because the mounting bracket on the old one had rusted through.

My front seatbelts were also tired and wouldn't retract properly so I pulled both belts and stalks from the parts car.

Pulled the interior out to do this, good opportunity to vacuum the parts of the carpet you can't normally reach.

post-2031-0-42556700-1446345286.jpg

The most room an E30 sedan has ever offered!

post-2031-0-19423700-1446345033.jpg

The offending seatbelts:

post-2031-0-12424000-1446345311.jpg

post-2031-0-56937000-1446345272.jpg

The genuine belts mount onto the seat base and the drivers stalk also has the seatbelt sensor has well, my warning light was decommissioned - need to find a new bulb for the check control as well I think.

Painted the seat mounts so they look a bit tidier and put it all back together.

post-2031-0-34388300-1446345345.jpg

Now just looking for the b-pillar bolt covers for the OEM Autoflug seatbelts if anyone has a pair?

Edited by _Mark_

Now just looking for the b-pillar bolt covers for the OEM Autoflug seatbelts if anyone has a pair?

I most likely will in my E30 parts car, let me know I will have a look if you dont find any closer to home

Oh, great. The belts in the car were installed when the car came into NZ in 2000. And look what the shoddy dealer who brought it in did - he bought aftermarket belts instead of genuine ones - and DRILLED HOLES IN THE FLOOR OF MY CAR TO FIT THEM! YOU F****IN' WHAT!!?? I wonder if he did that before or after he took the cluster out to wind the odometer back?

I thought all e30s had 2 holes there (both of mine have them). Certainly an interesting way to mount those seatbelts though.

I most likely will in my E30 parts car, let me know I will have a look if you dont find any closer to home

Thanks Andy, will keep you in mind if i can't find some.

I thought all e30s had 2 holes there (both of mine have them). Certainly an interesting way to mount those seatbelts though.

They shouldn't, genuine belts mount on the seat, but I suppose most E30's have been through more than one set of belts in their lifetime and the chance of aftermarket belts being installed is pretty high.

One last pic for today, the after shot ...

post-2031-0-06842200-1446350038.jpg

• Like 1

the previous owner hasnt drilled holes in the floor. The outer holes there is a plastic cap that screws in there to keep the carpet to the floor, th more inner ones are for the seat bolts.

the previous owner hasnt drilled holes in the floor. The outer holes there is a plastic cap that screws in there to keep the carpet to the floor, th more inner ones are for the seat bolts.

But surely those holes weren't designed for seat bolts? They would have to have been widened and tapped to secure a 17mm bolt in there?