Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 - crack / frame cracking behind the engine

Noticed this yesterday when looking under the bonnet. This frame thing seems to be cracking/brittle, which is holding that hose/pipe up. See photos. Haven't got much of a clue why it is like that, nor what the hose/pipe is, so got a few questions that maybe someone here can shed some light on.

Is this a common issue?
Which specific hose/pipe is that, that is being held up by that cracking frame?
Is this dangerous?
What would be the good way to fix this?
Is the hose going to collapse and blow something up if the frame thing completely cracks open? Or does it have under support under the frame? (it seems pretty brittle atm)

Need to know whether it's safe to continue driving it like that. If it does need immediate fixing - is it a wallet breaking job?

Any info appreciated, cheers! :-)

bmwunderhoodcrackresized1.jpgbmwunderhoodcrackresized2.jpg

just a cover to cover the fan blower , they always crack with the heat etc , just replace it with another , no big deal. might have one

• Like 1

Centre engine closing panel Vehicle trim, Body parts/ floor panel/ engine compartment,No 3 in the parts cat. Part no 51718174739 to Sep 98 and 51718158237from Sep 98 Pelican has them listed at $45.75 US. While their check the left and right side ones also as these also fall apart due to the heat put to a lesser degree than the centre one.

Edited by tim 325

Mine snapped in the middle when removing for ccv valve job. Wasnt a major cost.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys. I'll probably try to get it sorted sometime in the near future. Part probably costs 4x much in NZ.

Pretty sure thats the brake booster vacuum hose. Sometimes I find no brakes to be a bit bothersome...

• Like 2

I would not recommend driving the car with such a fault.

Going to go get it checked out at Glenn's tomorrow. Hopefully can sort it out soon. Atm I'm driving only 1-2km a day.

BM Workshop say it's completely safe to drive and that it's just a cover to keep the rain going into the area behind the engine, and that the hose is crimped/held inside the cover as well, so wouldn't fall out. Going to get a second opinion anyway, if I find free time tomorrow (*looks at Glenn*).

Edited by Arma

Was going to say 'tis important to keep that rain going into the engine', but instead I'll suggest you dont waste any more professionals time and replace the covering, which is of little consequence to anything, at your own leisure.

Or...we're kidding, quit with the drama :).

• Like 1

PS, dont forget to get it scanned and check the dissy cap...

OK Tony, thanks.

Edited by Arma

The panel is cosmetic to a large degree & supports a very strong brake vacuum pipe that can support it's self when the panel disintegrates. It will look nicer with the panel replaced.

Thanks Glenn. :) Guess I'll save the trip for now; plus I'm booked with meetings all day anyway (even during lunch! :mellow:)