Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

This arsehat..

Yea, get rid of it before you get attached to it.

Mine has leaked in many places and after fixing all the leaks we discovered the valve guide seals were toast and thats a $1600 - $2000 job on these motors.

Have u got any smoke out the exhaust if you let it idle for 5 minutes and then rev it hard?

Not that I've noticed. Had an airlock when we changed the hose pipe. Idled for 10 mins and revved it and would have noticed it. Yeah it's on borrowed time here. Once the gasket has been done and everything is above board it's gone burgers.

Are there any good points about these engines? You guys are portraying them like they are the worst engine BMW made!

Are there any good points about these engines? You guys are portraying them like they are the worst engine BMW made!

Was thinking the same thing myself. Does the issue lie in the N series being the first vvt 4 cylinders? Or is something more sinister at play here? Is any BMW post 2001 safe to buy??

wow!

Guys does this valve guide seals or whatever affect older e36 cars motors as m52? that's what I drive. I am doing some maintenance on the car now so would like to know if there's something like this I should check? any smoke or something?

they make good torque and ecnomy etc

thats it

wow!

Guys does this valve guide seals or whatever affect older e36 cars motors as m52? that's what I drive. I am doing some maintenance on the car now so would like to know if there's something like this I should check? any smoke or something?

The M52 engines are pretty tough arent they? Dont hear of many with serious issues, unlike the N series (which shares nothing with the M series engines).

And here we find the N42 in its natural stomping ground.. All issues fixed just can't sort the dawned brake sensor warning!

post-2864-0-12908100-1398305656_thumb.jp

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Did you have Aaron on the case? Might be a plug in and see job...

Cut the wires for the brake sensor and tie them together.

Cut the wires for the brake sensor and tie them together.

We did all that "tripped the sensors" but nothing.

Had to wipe the fault code in the end. End of the day the rotors and brakes have all been done. Turns out there's a faulty wire somewhere and we weren't prepared to pull all the carpet up and check all the wires.

Did you end up selling the car?

Yeah I did, but cost a bomb to get up to scratch, and cost many headaches. Was working perfectly once we got it sorted.