Sign in to follow this  
ease2underpants

e39 540 rough gear changes in S mode

last time I had my MY2000 540 up at Manfeild, the auto box started playing up in the afternoon. Between 130 & 150 it was taking about 2 seconds to change up (presumably 3rd to 4th?) and then with a big shudder/thump when it did.

I took the car off the track and left it be for the rest of the afternoon. It drove absolutely fine all the way home, and has since been up to Taupo & back from Wellington.

Is it likely the problem was overheating or something, or is it a more permanent issue that I'm not seeing because I'm not getting the car up to track speeds?

Any advice would be appreciated - I've searched the forums and can't find any similar problems reported.

Have you since tried to reproduce the behaviour of the hard shift at those speeds? If you can reproduce it every time then I'd say something mechanical, or valve body related. Otherwise more heat related.

The ZF 5hp24 was used in a few different vehicles i.e jaguar, audi s8, x5. Should be some good info out there.

Soumds like overheating. Takes a long time to cool.

If you track often get new fluid and a decent sized trams cooler

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

How old is the fluid in your trans? Sounds like a heat related thing, although they have a factory trans cooler I doubt it is up to the task of a track day, and if the fluid is elderly the heat will be more of an issue. Mine did it driving normally and the fluid was nasty!