Sign in to follow this  
brockie123

e30 Coilovers

Hey, seriously looking into a few E30 coilover kits at the moment but cant seem to find the best price or anywhere local?

i really like the look of the BC golds and have read only good reviews on there as far as bang for your buck.

also megan racing do one which im pretty sure is identicle anyway.

has anyone gone through this recently that could offer some help.

i have the 45mm struts by the way.

thanks.

Most of the kits cater for the 51mm struts, i went through the same thing in my E30 and i had the 45mm struts to being with. I ended up doing a 5 stud conversion and using E36 coilovers. It opened up my wheel options and gave me bigger brakes. It sort of blows the budget apart though.

Talk to Evan at Speedfactor, hes also a forum sponsor i think. They do XYZ for 45mm struts i think and you can send them to him and get them all welded up. Otherwise just get some 51mm struts and coilovers to suit and get them welded up yourself.

You can use any of the struts, they typically chop the strut tube off and weld the coilovers onto the hub, which you need to have done by a certified welder who can certify the welds which you need for an LVV these days.

thanks for help guys.

i found some BC golds in NZ cheaper than bringing in some through a member on here that helped me out.

Ive got XYZ, and after only a year and not even 10,000km (car is mostly parked up) the rubber shock boots are perished and f**ked. I suspect other cheap coil overs would have similar problems. Other than that they have served there purpose.

We have a pretty complimentary range of setups for the E30.

We keep 45mm and 51mm tube kits

Unlike most other companies, we can tailor spring rates, shock valving, camber plates etc.

We do a custom heavy rear spring to suit extremely lowered E30's and keep the rear geometry under control a bit better.

We can do all the LVV stuff, welding corner weighting even!!

Cheers

Evan

We have a pretty complimentary range of setups for the E30.

We keep 45mm and 51mm tube kits

Unlike most other companies, we can tailor spring rates, shock valving, camber plates etc.

We do a custom heavy rear spring to suit extremely lowered E30's and keep the rear geometry under control a bit better.

We can do all the LVV stuff, welding corner weighting even!!

Cheers

Evan

Have you got spare shock boots? Mine are rooted.

You can use any of the struts, they typically chop the strut tube off and weld the coilovers onto the hub, which you need to have done by a certified welder who can certify the welds which you need for an LVV these days.

You need to match the right sized tube. Most of the cheaper coil overs are tapered inside, so you leave 50mm on the bottom of the strut tube which slides inside of the bottom of the coil over and helps locate inside so it's largely centered. They aren't just welded to the stub axle, so size does matter. No problems using 51mm struts in a car that had 45mm ones, they all bolt up the same, so if you can't find 45mm ones, just use a set of 51mm tubes from a 323i or 325i and convert it over.

BC also make them in a 45mm fitment for 4 cylinder cars.

Only suggestion whoever you use, if you want the car low and still want to have any sort of suspension compliance, make sure you get ones which are base height adjustable. That way you can change the ride height without needing to compress the spring and shorten the shock travel.

Edited by Madhatter

Anyone here know where i can get my front strut + Coiover welded? preferably a place where i can get LVVTA cert as well. BTW im in north shore auckalnd area