Sign in to follow this  
arcon

rough idle & stall after ignition

hi all - i've got a 2001 320i, yesterday after ignition the car idled really rough and shaky for about 10 secs then died. i waited a bit, started again and it ran rough for a minute then smoothed out and ran normal.

this has happened before on occasion, usually when i haven't used the car for a day or so (which was the case yesterday). is this nothing to worry about or is there something specific i should get checked...? its done 127,000Ks. any info much apprec.

I would suggest getting it scanned first. Can do it tomorrow.... give me a call...

check my topic titled car shut down in this section. I was having same issues which I first thought was an vacuum leak on the intake boot, but it turned out to be the cam and crank sensors which were bad. be afraid, be very afraid as I ignored the issue as it didn't come back till one day when it stopped by car as I was coming off the motorway, imagine it shutting down as you take a high speed corner. What a headache that was getting it back home, the sensors cost around $150 each from milland and easy to do on your own. But first get it scanned from a shop and find the problem as soon as you can. Before the problem gets worse. Because they can only get worse pretty fast and when they go out in the middle of the road you would be pushing it or have to call a tow or wait hrs before things cool down. Try Ray @hellbm. I know this guy, hes in auckland and I got some work done & bought loads of parts before I started working on my own car and joined the forum.

check my topic titled car shut down in this section. I was having same issues which I first thought was an vacuum leak on the intake boot, but it turned out to be the cam and crank sensors which were bad. be afraid, be very afraid as I ignored the issue as it didn't come back till one day when it stopped by car as I was coming off the motorway, imagine it shutting down as you take a high speed corner. What a headache that was getting it back home, the sensors cost around $150 each from milland and easy to do on your own. But first get it scanned from a shop and find the problem as soon as you can. Before the problem gets worse. Because they can only get worse pretty fast and when they go out in the middle of the road you would be pushing it or have to call a tow or wait hrs before things cool down. Try Ray @hellbm. I know this guy, hes in auckland and I got some work done & bought loads of parts before I started working on my own car and joined the forum.

+1 for Ray...

Sent from my KM-UQM11A using Tapatalk

thanks for the feedback and referrals. i will get it scanned pronto, but done locally as i'm in Milford on the Shore. actually getting a WOF tomorrow at Bridgestone, not sure if they have bimmer scanners though lol.

Mne did that a couple of times when the exhaust cam sensor was kaput. I suspect it was overfueling that fouled a plug at startup as it goes into a safe mode.

Best get it scanned.

i've had it scanned today while i was getting some other work done. it all looks good and they couldn't reproduce stall or rough idle (maybe if they left it for 3 days lol, but i needed it back). the cam & exhaust sensors were all replaced by JC 5 yrs ago.

its not causing any issues at the mo as i use it everyday...

I've had a similar issue where as soon as it starts it dies, then restart and fine. Only done it maybe 3 times in 6 months and like you had it scanned with no issues. Hopefully doesn't get worse like this