Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E31 840ci mid '95+

Not many of these around, I grant you, the last one I saw was a bit above my price range listed at $27K on TM. Anyway, I'm about to turn 40 so want a more fitting car for my mid-life crisis than my beloved 540i. Absolutely love the E31 shape but not really interested in the V12s; I've driven a couple and wasn't very impressed but I have a supercharger kit lying around that would go neatly into the V8. Would prefer the late model (95+) 840 with the 4.4L V8 instead of the 4L so the sc kit would be a straight bolt on without requiring any modification.

Don't care about colour but would like grey/cream leather interior if possible (though not essential) and would prefer motorsport kit. Almost any condition considered as my budget will be whatever I can get for the 540i.

Would like to keep the supercharger kit so I can put it in the 840i but would consider selling it for the right offer if it means I can get a mint 840.

BMW_E31_1.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 3

Even o'seas mint late model 840's are commanding Early 20's ... Not sure if they'd be able to be brought in under the low volume cert. Plenty of fixer uppers in the UK though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-840-Ci-Sport-Auto-Coupe-/291095906894?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43c6ab0a4e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-T-BMW-840-CI-SPORT-INDIVIDUAL-2DR-AUTO-in-YELLOW-/261355611780?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cda022684

Yes, some very tempting ones in the UK but an 840 already makes little economic sense, getting a 20 year old do up from the UK, even if I can register it, seems like madness!

Hahahahahha. That is all.

Seriously do it though, you'll love it!

I think it's the car you want the 540i to be, but the two just don't quite compare.

nice cars ,those later e31's with the 4.4L,

my e34 540iT needs S/C kit :)

how much??

Want to see what's out there in the way of 840s first, really. As I'd love to sc 840... But make me an offer I can't refuse and we'll see how we go, Brent!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Very funny, Tony. Guessing you don't fancy my chances?! Can you change it back to at least increase my chances a little bit!

EDIT: Oh wait, didn't realise I could do it in Full Editor.

Edited by jeffbebe

mate,.... join the club.

I think we have all had the dream of owning one of these beasties!!!

good luck to you sir.

(if you get a black one & supercharge it I might just have to make you an offer you can't refuse)

• Like 1

I know of one black uk imported 1996 840ci. It has the 4.4l with steptronic and grey sport interior. This one had a crap load of maintence done on it over a two year period of ownership as was evident that none was done for quite a while. As an ex-owner (that was in a similar circumstance to yourself) I highly recommend to anyone who has dreamed of owning an e31 to do it once. There is something about having the best ever looking and most exclusive modern BMW (IMO anyway) parked in your driveway. My only warning is have very deep pockets and a friendly relationship with your trusted garage/mechanic. I still regret parting ways with this 840ci but I will own it again soon ;). Now if I can only remember who has it now :(.

So, what you're telling me is that my perfect car is out there, you might even know where it is, but you're going to buy it yourself!! Choice!! Haha

So, what you're telling me is that my perfect car is out there, you might even know where it is, but you're going to buy it yourself!! Choice!! Haha

an 840i is probably the logical better choice than the V12 from an economic point of view, history not tooooo critical, plenty of M60/M62 sitting around out of wrecked 540 and 740i etc if worst came to the worst.

but an 850i.....the sound of that V12 makes it all worth it i assure you!

If you do get a V12, history is very important, or budget about 2-3k and just overhaul the whole engine. they are really no harder to work on than a little M20 really.

Any BMW V12 isnt the "thinking mans" choice of engine, but sometimes we do irrational things!

but regardless if you get an 830i 840i 84(4)i or 850i, parts ARE going to be hard to come by like panels, interior bits etc, and you WILL be importing bits from overseas etc.

They are really no harder to work on than a little M20 really.

Haha. The only thing that id consider easier to do on M70 is changing the water pump and possibly drive belts.

I do agree about the V12 though, love the starter motor noise too.

Jooles, your going to need to get good and pulling apart and fixing your own cars with an e31. That or as others have said deep pockets. You are stepping into a car that you cant simply find the cheapest etailer for parts. The amount of people selling parts for them online is reduced and the OEM parts are classed in BMWs 'special & m parts' category. Its not like owning a non M car everything is really twice the price. Just fair warning.

That's the plan, Josh... If I can find one at the right price. Mostly 850s in my price range and I'm not really sold on the V12 - though may have to reconsider if I want an E31... We'll see.

It's been a thought of mine to but a blown m54 into the e31, just to see if the light 6 cyl will help handling.... that is what I would do if I were to get a naff 850...

Haha. The only thing that id consider easier to do on M70 is changing the water pump and possibly drive belts.

I do agree about the V12 though, love the starter motor noise too.

more time consuming maybe, but yep still happy to say as easy

It's been a thought of mine to but a blown m54 into the e31, just to see if the light 6 cyl will help handling.... that is what I would do if I were to get a naff 850...

The main criticism of the E31 was that it was underpowered compared to it's rivals. I guess an M54 turbo would be okay but supercharged M54s barely rate the same output as the V12 and would cost and arm and leg to do. If I get one I'd want to keep it as close to stock as possible (hence bolt on supercharger on the V8) as their value is only going to increase if they're left unmolested. An FI M54 E31 ain't going to be worth anything in terms of resale.

• Like 1

Yip it is out there. I traded it on an e36 M3 Saloon at a local dealership. Last time I spoke to him he had it advertised and told me he got a few people interested in it who were making ridiculous offers to him. He has decided to keep it as his personal car as he recognises the 'rareness' of this particular car with the spec's that it has. I know he has plans to to a bit of restoration on it like refresh the interior, a few mods/upgrades here and there. I said to him when he is done with it to give me a call and I'll buy it back! I haven't spoken to him for a while so don't know what he has done with it or if he even still has it. When I was looking this was the only 4.4l/steptronic combo that I came across. And I was looking for years. I suspect this one maybe the only one of its kind in NZ as it was privately imported by the previous UK owner. I found that 840's are harder to come by than 850's here so if you find keep it! I know there is a '96 NZ new factory manual one i red somewhere out there and was owned by the president of BMW Club. I enjoyed the experience of e31 ownership and looking forward to doing it again.

Yeah the red manual was up for sale not long ago for $50k... Way out of my price range. I know someone with two 840s. One M60, one M62... Neither Motorsport. He is keen to sell but hasn't come up with a price yet so I don't know if my budget will stretch. Will consider importing as SIV if I can find a cheap rust-free car in the UK.

Edited by jeffbebe

The main criticism of the E31 was that it was underpowered compared to it's rivals. I guess an M54 turbo would be okay but supercharged M54s barely rate the same output as the V12 and would cost and arm and leg to do. If I get one I'd want to keep it as close to stock as possible (hence bolt on supercharger on the V8) as their value is only going to increase if they're left unmolested. An FI M54 E31 ain't going to be worth anything in terms of resale.

if investment/resale really came into it, the only option would be the S70 powered 850CSi, which arent as hard to find as you might think, they do come up on trademe from time to time etc.

Problem i find with R129's is most are way over priced and early 4 speed models. I'm still upset that awhile back i missed out on a very tidy, well priced, '96 model with panoramic roof.

Nice cars though

Yep, love those R129s but although 4 doors is no longer a priority, 4 seats is.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the right one that ticks all the boxes for you. My only buying advice is find one that has been well maintained with plenty of evidence. They are out there (and even a couple of the v12's that are up for sale seem pretty tempting).