Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E31 840ci mid '95+

Thanks for all the info, mate. Very jealous of your manual M62! Was yours the one that was up for sale last year for around $50K??

My mechanic knows a guy with a 4L and 4.4L 840ci (both non-motorsport). He's willing to sell the 4.4 - an auto Orient Blue UK import with black leather interior - but I don't know how much he wants for it yet. There were only 57 RHD 840s ever made, I believe, so the manuals are certainly rare. There's a cheap manual 4L for sale in the UK at the moment and I was considering just buying it, shipping it and then seeing if I can get an SIV permit next year (they've already run out this year) or stripping the good stuff and dumping into one of the cheap 850 shells that are floating about, if it can't be complied.

I did like the Tobago blue one but can't contact the seller as the listing's not there - if you know him I'm interested but $20K+ is right at the limit of what I could afford and it would mean selling the sc kit which would be disappointing (and expensive to replace) as it fits both M60 and M62.

Have costed up importing one and it's not too bad if I can find a straight example - certainly makes paying $25-30K here seem a bit steep. Anyway, I'm in no massive rush so hopefully the right car will pop up sooner or later.

Not sure what the rules are importing something of this vintage from the UK? I always keep an eye on auction results in the back of the UK Classic and Sportscar magazines and there was recently a 840ci 4.4 (didn't say whether auto or man) grade VG (very good condition) sell for less than 5,000 pounds.

Hi Jeff,

I didn't know about the orient blue 4.4 but I figured they had to be around. That makes it 5 4.4's I know of.

I know Carl the owner of the Tobago blue 840. I can see whether he still has it. Think he wanted 23k last time he marketed it. As for the total build for the 840's - there were 900 odd made in rhd drive auto with the 4.0 engine. However 54 6 speed manuals. With the 4.4 however, there were 1400 odd autos, and three 6 speed manuals in right hand drive.

I bet the car you saw for 50k was Gerry hodges's old 4.0 manual. Sold in April 2009 for 43k ( it had 50,000ks on the clock back then). Funnily enough I bought mine in January of that year. At the time my car had clocked 48,000 ks ( now got 53,000). They are the only red manuals that have been marketed in recent years. Both uncannily similar in appearance with black leather ( mind you Gerry's car had BBS LM 18 wheels - mine has the factory Style 5's).

• Like 2

i brought an E30 off a guy down here several years back that had two 8 series both black as i recall. and a few 6 series, among other less exciting things.

• Like 1

I just remembered another nice m62 - powered e31. It lives in Auckland. Sent you a pm about it.

Hi Jeff,

I didn't know about the orient blue 4.4 but I figured they had to be around. That makes it 5 4.4's I know of.

I know Carl the owner of the Tobago blue 840. I can see whether he still has it. Think he wanted 23k last time he marketed it. As for the total build for the 840's - there were 900 odd made in rhd drive auto with the 4.0 engine. However 54 6 speed manuals. With the 4.4 however, there were 1400 odd autos, and three 6 speed manuals in right hand drive.

I bet the car you saw for 50k was Gerry hodges's old 4.0 manual. Sold in April 2009 for 43k ( it had 50,000ks on the clock back then). Funnily enough I bought mine in January of that year. At the time my car had clocked 48,000 ks ( now got 53,000). They are the only red manuals that have been marketed in recent years. Both uncannily similar in appearance with black leather ( mind you Gerry's car had BBS LM 18 wheels - mine has the factory Style 5's).

Gerry's one became a taxi for "ladies of the night" driven by their minder in the tron, pretty sure its well used now, and pretty rough....most likey like the ladies who rode shot gun!

Ha! Wouldn't want to get a blue light on it!

dude

Actually Milan I know the guy who owned Gerry's car in the tron ( as he lived 200m from my house). He certainly didn't let that car go anywhere! In reality he bought it with about 49,000 k''s and sold it with only a few hundred more 2 odd years later. When he had it it was like new - only driven every few months for a few k's. He had it on the market for along time for 50k. Not surprisingly at that price he didn't have any serious offers. Finally he told me that in April 2009 he had someone interested. Apparently the guy turned up with some big "minders" and offered him $43k that came in a suitcase - in $50 notes! Like a movie! He accepted the offer.

So the car now lives in Auckland. I have not seen it in the flesh since. However a mate of mine took a photo of it a few years ago - and boy it looked like it needed some love. Had a Mitsubishi Gto rear spoiler sitting on the boot. Wheels were covered in brake dust.

The car that was being used by a lady of the night was another e31 - a black English 850i that lived 300m away for my house ( in actual fact in 2009 there were 5 e31's in the same area in Hamilton). That was the hooker's car - not Gerry's old red one! :)

Ohhhhh, new there was some link!, was that 850 an manual?....remember taking the owner at the time around Puke on a Car club day

yeah this guy brought it over with him, going back 10 years now, but allen with "M8" has a huge collection of about 8 various e31's

Yes I have heard of Alan Ferguson's collection but not seen any yet as they are fairly recent to NZ, and l live overseas. Must be a very passionate man. He bought a few from a guy called Peter Rice from the Uk who had e31's in both Canada and England. Anecdotally, Alan owns 8 e31's. Very cool!

yep, there is a low 28,000km 1993 850csi in silver that we had at inter-marque concourse that will be in the next issue of Dixi, had it with allens B12 5.7, he has some "different" color choices too, pink green yellow...all the odd bmw colors

Ah yes the silver 850csi is owned by Peter Farmiloe. That car was discussed 5-6 years ago on this site when Glenn's customer brought it in for some work. Had 18000 ks on the clock then. Yes Alan has a dakar yellow acs 850csi, a pinky purple 99' 840ci sport et al.

The crown jewel is that re-built alpina. Super rare.

i even emailed my customer for you down south he had a 96 black 840ci with grey leather etc

but he had since sold it and not sure where it eneded up :S

A close friend of mine Imported an 850Csi a few years back - from the UK. Riddled with Rust, and is sitting until he can be bothered putting thousands into the repair - be VERY careful importing from UK!

i even emailed my customer for you down south he had a 96 black 840ci with grey leather etc

but he had since sold it and not sure where it eneded up :S

Thanks Brent, much appreciated.

A close friend of mine Imported an 850Csi a few years back - from the UK. Riddled with Rust, and is sitting until he can be bothered putting thousands into the repair - be VERY careful importing from UK!

No SIV permits left this year anyway, so I've missed the boat. Fortunately I have family in the UK who can check the car rigorously and I wouldn't purchase a car in the UK without a really thorough inspection. Also worth getting the seller to take undercarriage pics and shots of any areas susceptible to rust.

Wasn't the guy who brought in the Technoviolet / Daytona violet 850csi ( can't remember which one) that is coated with rust a member here? I remember he was quite young and was waxing lyrical about this exciting new car he was importing. He was on Bimmersport regularly 6-7 years ago. There were photos of the car when it came in. Then he sort of went quiet. I recall seeing the car in BM workshop in Botany. Looked a little tired but must have been a beautiful car during its halcyon days.

yeah i remember that

Yes, thats him. If young would of been 25ish back then?

He had trusted friends look over the car as well, was a shame. He still has it, and it's still sitting sadly. The parts to get into Nz are a fortune, especially having to redo the whole back end system where the rear wheels move?? (Not clued up, sorry guys)

He was a member of a few forums, no longer active on any, busy getting on with his life and not on cars.

His plan is to restore it once he has finished his house investment purchases..

That's the one - my memory didn't fail me. I have heard that if the AHK (4 wheel steering) function fails it is a 20k plus repair on a 850csi. I wonder whether that was also an issue with this vehicle. The US spec 850csi didn't evidently come standard with AHK.

Irrespective I still think it is a beautiful car in that colour. Hope to see it restored to its former glory one day.

That's the one - my memory didn't fail me. I have heard that if the AHK (4 wheel steering) function fails it is a 20k plus repair on a 850csi. I wonder whether that was also an issue with this vehicle. The US spec 850csi didn't evidently come standard with AHK.

Irrespective I still think it is a beautiful car in that colour. Hope to see it restored to its former glory one day.

I annoy him everyday to restore it quicker than he has planned!

But houses are more important -.- haha

Will be great - he is an organiser of the Photography Meet along with me if any of you want to tag along and have a chat (JeffBebe maybe import talk?) just an idea :)