Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Project Schnitzel

Front speakers today.

Again, someone had been in there and added Alpine Type S. I replaced with my component set. Tweeter fitted perfectly and made the 6.5's fit with adapters included with speakers. Gaff tapped crossover and wiring to door, good as gold :)

Sound great, but horrible rattle with any bass due to being placed in the darn door card - need to test and trial methods to stop rattling - clips to be redone??

Its a bit of work but by far the best result is to cut a hole with a holesaw in the door itself.

Then make up a spacer out of mdf or similar and attatch the speaker to it.

That way the speaker is mounted directly to the door, and not to the stupid cardboard door card.

It improves the sound in another way as well by using the door cavity as a speaker box.

The door card is untouched and simply goes on as normal.

There are some real nice ones built in this thread;

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/60419-bmw-e46-cd-focal.html

$40, shipped here in less than a week, cheaper than those on Trade Me :/ Went for high quality or you see yourself paying $15 and the risk of something going off..

Boys and their nuts huh.. On a females thread. Perfect �

Where did you source the angel eyes? $40 and they look great! I'd love a set.

Ebay Australia.

On that note, new front arm bushes in today. Car feels ahmazing to drive :)

Angel eyes look top sh*t - good job.

• Like 1

Got some better, platinum coloured fogs from ECS, look heaps better and match Angel Eyes and Xenon.

Next up, transmission service :)

Spent the later half of day Cut and Polish...

Many hours later, and with the boot and Bonnet complete; results are amazing!

Thanks to 'Attention to Detail' car services for the amazing product & detailing equipment to get my car looking top notch!

Some photos... She is practically swirl free on the two places we did! Popped Masking tape and the second photo was result

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Did you use masking tape on the black plastic trim?

Thats a good idea - I wish I had done that before I wrecked mine.

Did you use masking tape on the black plastic trim?

Thats a good idea - I wish I had done that before I wrecked mine.

Everybody always asks me this/tells me this when I go to polish my car... Even the stores where I go forward and purchase clay bars, detailers, compounds must think I have no idea what I'm doing with the products and progress to tell me how (must be because I'm female LOL..)

Yes, of course :) but the E46 Coupes hardly have trim anyway, just the washers on Bonnet and rubber seals near boot we masked

Will seal up and do side panels/roof/bumper next.. Sooo many sets of passes D:

Awesome work.

I usually find E46 Coupes to look weird, but this looks tits!

• Like 1

Half of roof done tonight.. Getting there. Loving the swirl free look :D

Posted Image

What is the best solution if you are a dick like me and didnt tape up your trim and now is all faded?

• Like 1

What is the best solution if you are a dick like me and didnt tape up your trim and now is all faded?

Aww no! Bugger :(

Try tyre shine from Mequiars (Grape smelling stuff) used it on my 540i when I did that mistake.

Not much on the 'Project Front' but have got planned and Engine & Trans service soon..

She is running fantastically and just purring into everything I ask of her! Having loads of fun. Popping new lower control arm bushes in has improved the handling side by leaps and bounds.
A rear speaker has gone, so will investigate wiring to fix that part up..

Here are some recent shots, and had some fun with mates testing location spot for the meet I held :D Even got my other plate out (it sits in waiting for the M3 ;)

post-32854-0-53857500-1400496277.jpg

post-32854-0-77663500-1400496303.jpg

post-32854-0-93058400-1400496332.jpg

post-32854-0-65882600-1400496354.jpg

post-32854-0-59577200-1400496372.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good. I saw another e46 with the same kit in taupo recently. Was red and looked horrible. But i think the darker blue makes it look awesome.

Also as far as getting told about polishes... It not a girl thing. Its a nz thing. I sell the stuff at work and i very very rarely find people who know what they are doing. Most peoples expectations are tofix 10 years of abuse by spray on wipe off. Or at the other end someone with a light swirl mark in a new cars wants hard cutting compound and a grinder based polisher. It all comes down to paying for good product and spending the time doing it right.

Dont get me started on painting. People want a perfect paint match but wont do sanding priming prepping wet sanding or polsihing. they again just want spray and walk away.

Sorry for the hijack.

looks well detailed, shadow chrome trim and grille would look slightly better IMHO. Doing the same to mine (oriental blue)

Disagree. I think black grill only looks good on white, red or black cars. Chrome suits blue far better IMO. Black window trim looks pretty good on any colour if you're not a fan of the chrome... You can wrap it for $50 and a couple of hours of your time (compared to $1-2K for genuine black shadowline trim).

@Jason, the red one in Taupo is the sister to my one - less bling all round, and different rear end but essentially similar. Packs a 2.8 instead as well.

For my personal home use, Mequiars is what I use, but for serious detailing, I head on over and get it done by Attention To Detail (Sam with Uforia) would rather do it with him, than doing it wrong.

Was using the detailer/Quick wax to clear off any crap before meet, had just washed.

Car had more chrome bling orginally.. Handles changed to blue as were chrome.

I love my window trim :D

• Like 1

On that note, total time on Bonnet, Boot and half of roof is sitting around 10-12 hours

• Like 1

On that note, total time on Bonnet, Boot and half of roof is sitting around 10-12 hours

That is admirable and most who know me on here will tell you I'm a stickler for detailing but 10-12 hours? I could probably earn enough in 10-12 hours to pay a pro 2-3 times over.

I enjoy the sense of satisfaction of a job well done but think I would rather spend 10-12 hours driving it than polishing it!

That said, I think your improvements so far are well considered.

We do it at night when there is nothing better to do :P

Plus that includes prepping it for every session - wash, dry, clay bar and polish.

My car is beyond that point of just a little will doo.. So many scratches and swirls to get out.. And when you think about the prepping stages before every session, adds up :)

The Schnitzel is sitting in the hands of NZTA and the NZ Police for their Road Safety week, displaying a Modified, but Legal car (hahaha)

Dreading the 600 fingerprints for when I get it back.. But hey, teaching kids about safety.. :/

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Better not lose a badge.

Nobody gonna be stealing anything when you got the NZ Police setting up next to it ;)

At least she gets undercover treatment for the night.. Score!