Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

WTB S65B40 E92 M3 Engine

Hah, a bit :P . Rebuild cost is almost cost of a new engine. Seeing if a used one is available first.

:o what did you do to current one! (someone had to ask!)

Rebuilders can rebuild it but the cost of rebuild is (at the moment) almost the price of a new engine (at the discount they've given us).

The (much cheaper) alternative is obviously to source a second-hand engine.

Not sure you will find one laying around here in NZ, but there are plenty of cheap-ish ones in the UK.

Seen a few on Ebay recently. UK and US ones. Also a few S85B50's for less than 10K.

Do the conversion I say :) There would be many a BMW mag chasing you for a story.

Not sure you will find one laying around here in NZ, but there are plenty of cheap-ish ones in the UK.

Yep think I'll be looking abroad.

Seen a few on Ebay recently. UK and US ones. Also a few S85B50's for less than 10K.

Do the conversion I say :) There would be many a BMW mag chasing you for a story.

S85 seems quite difficult and (I've heard) costly to transplant?

Turners have one...

Can't find it?

Rebuilders can rebuild it but the cost of rebuild is (at the moment) almost the price of a new engine (at the discount they've given us).

The (much cheaper) alternative is obviously to source a second-hand engine.

What prompted yours to fail? Seems unlucky

• Like 1

What prompted yours to fail? Seems unlucky

It is. Seems to be a weakness with the engine. BMW would have good willed it had it not been an import. Life goes on.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/44718-e92-m3-failure-on-motorway/?hl=%2Bm3+%2Bbearing#entry487077

Thankfully this didn't happen and just started getting knocking and took it straight to McMillan's.

That sucks man! I'm feeling for ya

• Like 1

Did you import it yourself, or buy from a (non-BMW) dealer? If it was through a dealer have a read of the Consumer Guarantees Act and go talk to them.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

That sucks man! I'm feeling for ya

:P

Actually TJ, I would suggest writing to BMW in Germany. Just give it a shot.

Thanks

Did you import it yourself, or buy from a (non-BMW) dealer? If it was through a dealer have a read of the Consumer Guarantees Act and go talk to them.

Bought from non-bmw dealer. Will do - thanks.

What happened to the engine Tristan ??

Was driving through the Domain , started hearing a knocking noise so took it to McMillan's. The diagnosis is that bearings on cylinder 7 and 8 have been "run", and also damaged the crankshaft. It can be rebuilt but the quote is eye watering. A second hand engine looks like it could be half the price of rebuilding, and a new engine at 50% off is more than that.

Edited by TJ*
  • Like 1

What a nightmare. Sorry to hear bro. LS swap? lol

Was it under load? Or hard load prior? Happened to an STi I used to have.

You have the moral support of everyone here.

• Like 1

What a nightmare. Sorry to hear bro. LS swap? lol

Was it under load? Or hard load prior? Happened to an STi I used to have.

You have the moral support of everyone here.

Haha thanks. S85 V10 would be a cool swap.

Think I'll be bringing an engine in from the UK.

Unless in the meantime something pops up locally.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Seems the 'V' configuration S engines are prone to rod bearing issues. There is a lot of debate about what causes it. Some probable causes :

- incorrect bearing installation

- Bad quality bearings

- insufficient lubrication i.e hi revs when engine is cold, or wot running at low revs.

- wrong oil viscosity - oil too think to sufficiently lubircate the shells. Becomes a big problem in cold weather.

Bad luck Tristan! Would it be worthwhile trying to source a new crankshaft, and rods that got damaged? Or are there shards of metal all through the engine as a result of the issue?

s65 coffee table... Mean!

Seems the 'V' configuration S engines are prone to rod bearing issues. There is a lot of debate about what causes it. Some probable causes :

- incorrect bearing installation

- Bad quality bearings

- insufficient lubrication i.e hi revs when engine is cold, or wot running at low revs.

- wrong oil viscosity - oil too think to sufficiently lubircate the shells. Becomes a big problem in cold weather.

Bad luck Tristan! Would it be worthwhile trying to source a new crankshaft, and rods that got damaged? Or are there shards of metal all through the engine as a result of the issue?

s65 coffee table... Mean!

Didn't the E46 M3 engines (S54?) have a bearing issue too?

Bad luck Tristan, hope you can get it sorted without losing a limb.