Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

WTB S65B40 E92 M3 Engine

Seems the 'V' configuration S engines are prone to rod bearing issues. There is a lot of debate about what causes it. Some probable causes :

- incorrect bearing installation

- Bad quality bearings

- insufficient lubrication i.e hi revs when engine is cold, or wot running at low revs.

- wrong oil viscosity - oil too think to sufficiently lubircate the shells. Becomes a big problem in cold weather.

Bad luck Tristan! Would it be worthwhile trying to source a new crankshaft, and rods that got damaged? Or are there shards of metal all through the engine as a result of the issue?

s65 coffee table... Mean!

Not too sure. What I know is that the crankshaft can be repaired. It CAN be rebuilt, whether or not it's economical or not is another question. I'm betting not. From what I understand the rebuild will be a big task and I imagine it'll be easier (and cheaper) to just put a new engine in (in the process of buying).

I am still exploring rebuild options though..

Didn't the E46 M3 engines (S54?) have a bearing issue too?

Bad luck Tristan, hope you can get it sorted without losing a limb.

E46 did however it was fixed in a recall; S65 not.

Thanks

If the rods are ok, then I would've thought the crank could be removed from underneath - saving the labour of removing the heads etc. Did they mention if there is oil contamination? If there is then you're looking at a full strip down.

Haven't told us anything other than that. The engine has already been removed and is at Taylor Automotive now...

surely BMW AG should be involved at this age or is it a high km engine?

Not the smashed up rim in the second pic, there is a long story there, crashed and then burnt out??

• Like 1

82,000?

Is that the cost of the rebuild

I know a v10 from an m5 will fit in there ...

Me too :) But not willing to pay that much :P

Think thats km not nz pesos....

KMs :P yep

what is the cost of a rebuild for this engine. just interested .

How long is a piece of string? Really depends on what needs replacing and/or machining in the process, and whether or not you are doing it yourself or paying for the labour.

• Like 2

VAC in the states will have all the required parts for a proper rebuild TJ.

They are very well known for high powered well build BMW motors.

You could always send it to them to rebuilt. They do a heap of international builds.

• Like 1

Alternatively if you just want a nice running engine then you may be best buying a second hand one then selling your one to someone who does want to do a high horse power rebuild. I imagine that looks like what your are thinking of.

• Like 1

Would you want to sell your motor if you get a new one, if so please let me know.

• Like 1

Thought of asking Ray ? at the end of the day its just a bearing replacement and maybe a crank skim. I hate to say it but asking a dealer to do a engine rebuild is like asking a top law firm to do your private property sale conveyancing.

Maybe find someone who does engine rebuilds who doesnt charge as much ;)

Who knows you could probably then afford to do all sorts of other preventative matainence while the bottom end is out too, EG vanos guides etc.

• Like 1

Would you want to sell your motor if you get a new one, if so please let me know.

Sweet as. Thanks.

Thought of asking Ray ? at the end of the day its just a bearing replacement and maybe a crank skim. I hate to say it but asking a dealer to do a engine rebuild is like asking a top law firm to do your private property sale conveyancing.

Maybe find someone who does engine rebuilds who doesnt charge as much ;)

Who knows you could probably then afford to do all sorts of other preventative matainence while the bottom end is out too, EG vanos guides etc.

Cheers have looked into this.

• Like 1

Just wrap it round a pole and claim insurance then buy another one. Done son!

• Like 2

Just wrap it round a pole and claim insurance then buy another one. Done son!

brb. Dead. Claiming life insurance

Sent from my C2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

VAC in the states will have all the required parts for a proper rebuild TJ.

Those that have had dealings with VAC have regretted it immensely (this goes for NZ folks and many of those in the US of A). I would stay away.

Wouldn't be the first S65 to run a big end and won't be the last ... the worst V8 engine to ever come out of BMW M.

Personally I'd put a s62 back in there instead : P

Like I said when I saw you at McMillans Tristan ... importing is probably the cheapest way to go ... however, a crank and bearing job isn't exactly hard. If you source the parts overseas I don't see why a competent engine builder can't replace a crank and bearings.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Those that have had dealings with VAC have regretted it immensely (this goes for NZ folks and many of those in the US of A). I would stay away.

Wouldn't be the first S65 to run a big end and won't be the last ... the worst V8 engine to ever come out of BMW M.

Personally I'd put a s62 back in there instead : P

Like I said when I saw you at McMillans Tristan ... importing is probably the cheapest way to go ... however, a crank and bearing job isn't exactly hard. If you source the parts overseas I don't see why a competent engine builder can't replace a crank and bearings.

He has said the car has been taken apart at Taylors Automotive, I'm pretty sure all options would have been covered.

Maybe try GER, they are pretty good.

Failing that if you want very cheap shipping on a S65 from the UK send me a PM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E90-E92-E93-M3-S65-B40A-COMPLETE-ENGINE-MOTOR-2008-MODEL-19-000-MILES-07-13-/261369747786?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cdad9d94a

Edited by BobSagat

Looks like I'll be going ahead with a second-hand engine. Even with importing parts, because the warranty company gets 30% off all BMW Parts prices work out to be very similar (i.e. saving not worth the headache of importing 40 different parts)

Thanks everyone

Like said, it CAN be rebuilt, whether it is economic or not is the question. Looks like a low mileage engine is about $10k landed, whereas a rebuild looks around $20k, and a new engine at $25K.

Sourcing engine as we speak.

Edited by TJ*

$20k ouch.

Just throw some 90wt oil in there.... Worked a treat on the old Sunbird when that ran a bearing - ran for years.

Get the used engine in there then get yourself an engine stand & rebuild the stuffed one yourself.