Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

BMW Getrag gearbox adapted to 1UZ-FE

Hey guys.

So I saw this guy had successfully made an adaptor plate for the bell housing and an adaptor plate to use the 1UZ flywheel to a BMW clutch plate etc.

post-6193-0-71315700-1397771088.jpgpost-6193-0-85262300-1397771096.jpg

He used a Getrag 260 5 speed.

I'm thinking of going down this road for my car over winter, rather than use an overpriced Toyota gearbox and parts.

What BMW getrag gearbox would the one of choice for this engine? I see theres a heap of ones to choose from, 250s, 260s, 270s, 320s etc.

• Like 1

Why not just use a Toyota one? They're not that overpriced compared with the figures bandied about for a bmw manual box, in fact I'd say half the price? Or you could use the getrag 6 speed out of a turbo Supra ( that probably would be expensive).

Why not just use a Toyota one? They're not that overpriced compared with the figures bandied about for a bmw manual box, in fact I'd say half the price? Or you could use the getrag 6 speed out of a turbo Supra ( that probably would be expensive).

Sometimes the length of the box especially in a longitudinal installation can put the shifter too long. Longitudinal gearboxes rely on mechanical linkages rather than cables like transverse so it can be troublesome to modify the shifter location.

I've seen shifters being extended but its more difficult to shorten them!

have a 5spd ZF here like in a e36 m3 328i e34 525i etc same sort of box i had with my last e34 544i

if you need

close ratio box , 1:1 top

or you could use a getrag 260 from a older car with overdrive top

both a pretty strong

Getrag boxes in my experience are over engineered and can handle much of what you can throw at it

I've got a getrag 250 in pieces that would argue that. The synchros aren't capable of fast shifts.

The zf boxes handle alot more abuse. Hence why people will still pay twice as much for a zf than a getrag

If you want an expert opinion talk to Kayne Barrie. I'd assume hes rebuilt more bmw gearboxes than anyone else in the country.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2014 at 5:45 PM, Michael. said:

Hey guys.

So I saw this guy had successfully made an adaptor plate for the bell housing and an adaptor plate to use the 1UZ flywheel to a BMW clutch plate etc.

post-6193-0-71315700-1397771088.jpgpost-6193-0-85262300-1397771096.jpg

He used a Getrag 260 5 speed.

I'm thinking of going down this road for my car over winter, rather than use an overpriced Toyota gearbox and parts.

What BMW getrag gearbox would the one of choice for this engine? I see theres a heap of ones to choose from, 250s, 260s, 270s, 320s etc.

Hi friend. i am going this road too. i will use 280 of a diesel E46 320

Just when we think your Lexus has reached the pinacle of development, you bring on another cool thing to do.  Looking forward to this one, @Michael.

I have adapters for Getrag and ZF gearboxes to fit BMW and 2JZ engines .   5 and 6 speed boxes as well as the adapter plates.