Sign in to follow this  
Lukeprusher

E28 M5

Out of curiosity does anyone know around how many E28 M5s are in New Zealand, im looking into buying one, and just wondering if its going to be hard to find one or just get one imported

Also if anyone knows someone selling one that would be much appreciated.

just buy my one .

but no they are very rare in NZ and held onto by collectors etc

e24 m635csi are more common

watch th UK ones most have new floors welded in etc

only about 200 RHD made in euro spec with the proper m88 engine

prices north of $35k plus

they are hand built cars

Hi there

From what I know, there were only 2 imported new to NZ. A white example with full body kit, and another one in a Bronze colour. In terms of imports there is an ex HK example that lives in Christchurch (in black). Evidently there is another one in Cch which is an ex UK example with ultra low k's which lives in a collection. I don't know the colour of this vehicle. Until a year ago or so there was an ex Sth African example in Dolphin grey living in Auckland. Equipped with the full body kit, this car now has been sold to a collector in Adelaide.

As mentioned by Brent, these cars were always rare- and by virtue of their scarcity and unique factor, do not come up for sale for much at all. The grey one was on trademe a few times over the last 10 years but the others haven't. Like its the brother, the M635csi, expect to pay over $30k for a decent one.

oh and my mates black Uk one on the nth shore

pic taken last weekend on bmw club drive

post-279-0-60928900-1398026698_thumb.jpg

And (presumably) the grey one I saw in Huntly a few weeks ago.

Outed!!! cheers Brent.

Mines the HK car from Chch. Came to Auckland in about 500 pieces via train and the engine disassembled in a box.

As for prices, worth what the sellers prepared to take. Highly unlikely any will be for sale here in near future, if not ever. ive already been down that track with the 3 other collectors. Uk cars range from 15k pounds to one I heard which went for 50k pounds. Like Brent said, the cheap ones will have rust and 180+ miles. your looking at 20k realistically for a solid car with 150miles.

Your best bet is Brents car which is a crazy engined "replica" or the other "replica" floating around is my white E28 with an S38 and full M5 running gear. These are your best chance here in Nz id imagine.

Edited by gtstarped

Seems like the one that sat on trademe for a year or so for $25 000 might have been a decent deal. I haven't seen one since and that was about 4 years ago.

Seems like the one that sat on trademe for a year or so for $25 000 might have been a decent deal. I haven't seen one since and that was about 4 years ago.

Peters grey M5 is well gone as mentioned above, and went for considerably more than 25k. prices have shot up in the last 2-3 yeats. only the 4 known ones left.

tim what was the sale price of that orange one in OZ about 70k oz dollars??

tim what was the sale price of that orange one in OZ about 70k oz dollars??

50 euro

Edited by gtstarped

Ffffff....lippin' 'eck!

Oh well. I write that one off my list of cars to have!

I'll stick to looking for a E28 535i. They do exist. Even if the only one on TM lately has been chopped about to take a Lexus engine... :(

For me, the E28 can't have the bodykit. The black example above is f'ing stunning.

Good ones from a reputable dealer in the UK go for £20k+.

Dolphin grey is amazing as well.

304-3.jpg

As stated here, I know of 5 that have been or are in NZ (Could be more?).

x2 NZ new

x1 exSA

x2 exUK (I think one of these might have been in HK as well).

Anecdotally, the first owner of the white NZ new example with body kit also had a Zinnober red m635csi (NZ new too) at the same time! Evidently both were tricked up with nitrous oxide! I have heard this from various sources over the years- including the current owner of the m6.

Wonder if anyone in recent years have simultaneously had newer variants of m5 and m6's in their garage!

On this topic. Back when I was a youngin my Grandfather and Father imported a 5 series from South Africa. It was apparently a bit of a mix between an E28 M5 and the E12 MLE.

This car was sold in Auckland in the mid 80's. It was Green (Reason why it was sold).

Does anyone have an idea of what it would have been? Did the saffa's mix the models and parts? It had some boogey that's for sure. I remember Dad hooning it around.

Does anybody know of any MLE's in NZ?

• Like 1

On this topic. Back when I was a youngin my Grandfather and Father imported a 5 series from South Africa. It was apparently a bit of a mix between an E28 M5 and the E12 MLE.

This car was sold in Auckland in the mid 80's. It was Green (Reason why it was sold).

Does anyone have an idea of what it would have been? Did the saffa's mix the models and parts? It had some boogey that's for sure. I remember Dad hooning it around.

Does anybody know of any MLE's in NZ?

they where old stock e12's maybe even M535i fitted with the newer e28 interior etc

some sold as late as 1984 or 1985 in SA etc

e28 started in about 1982 in germany.

there where couple or more floating around in NZ ,

or if you dont need the m5

go for a M535i if you can find one $8-12k etc ,and slap a turbo on it 300-400hp easy :)

they where old stock e12's maybe even M535i fitted with the newer e28 interior etc

some sold as late as 1984 or 1985 in SA etc

e28 started in about 1982 in germany.

there where couple or more floating around in NZ ,

Ah yeah that makes sense. Cheers Brent.