Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

THEFT ON EBAY

Has anyone else noticed that Ebay is scamming customers by pushing sellers of products to use their global shipping policy and charging "import fees" on items that do not attract any fees. Many of Ebays own companies are in on the scam as well. Just recently I was about to purchase items when I noticed that not only were the shipping charges much higher than usual but also that at the check out there were import charges added to the transaction.

I queried the charging of these fees and was told it was to make things smoother for buyers of products when they arrive in New Zealand. I told them there are no fees of any kind on items that are below the threshold of $400 and that to charge these non existent fee was fraudulent. The sellers don't do anything about it and have advised it is nothing to do with them and blamed Ebay.

I just thought you should be aware of this scam. I used another seller instead. II would take the matter up with Ebay but ringing up the criminals to advise them are committing fraud might not produce any result.

Edited by FIAT 131R
  • Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that Ebay is scamming customers by pushing sellers of products to use their global shipping policy and charging "import fees" on items that do not attract any fees. Many of Ebays own companies are in on the scam as well. Just recently I was about to purchase items when I noticed that not only were the shipping charges much higher than usual but also that at the check out there were import charges added to the transaction.

I queried the charging of these fees and was told it was to make things smoother for buyers of products when they arrive in New Zealand. I told them there are no fees of any kind on items that are below the threshold of $400 and that to charge these non existent fee was fraudulent. The sellers don't do anything about it and have advised it is nothing to do with them and blamed Ebay.

I just thought you should be aware of this scam. I used another seller instead. II would take the matter up with Ebay but ringing up the criminals to advise them are committing fraud might not produce any result.

Thanks for the headsup Geoff, I will be looking at this, i buy quite a bit of stuff off ebay for work etc.

They already screw us on having to ship priority, and now this??? Bastards!!!

• Like 1

What were the fees & how is it fraudulent?

Everything coming into the country attracts GST (and sometimes duties) - Customs just dont bother collecting on less than $400 landed cost as their transaction & paperwork costs the same as what they would collect. If they are actually passing those costs onto the NZ Government then it seems ok to me.

They legally do not apply duty to private imports below 400. Its nothing to do with not bothering.

And if duties arent due guess who keeps the money.

Thats the fraud

+1. I got charged NZD48 on a USD229 puchase. If the money went to NZ customs I'd be happier. Would like to know where it ends up.

Have noticed as well, I just ship to a US address and forward on my packages.

+1. I got charged NZD48 on a USD229 puchase. If the money went to NZ customs I'd be happier. Would like to know where it ends up.Even if say $75 shipping cost is added to the purchase price of

Even if shipping costs of $75 US is added to the purchase price of $229 and 80 cents exchange rate the cost is $380 NZ and therefore no GST is payable on your purchase. Ebay are operating a massive scam and will be making money hand over fist.

I buy quite a few items online and when I go to order an item I check if they use the Ebay shipping policy. Here is one I have questioned and won't accept that what they are doing is fraudulent. It is one of many companies I suggest you avoid buying from.

That is not us scamming or trying to take money. That is eBays global shipping program that you are using so they collect the prepaid taxes so they can set it up for you. eBays global shipping program is new this year and they just implemented this so that international customers can get their packages quicker and easier.
James Kang
Sparktec Motorsports
Edited by FIAT 131R

People should also know that Ebay has many many companies of it's own selling items on the net. They will most likely all be at this practice so they could be raking in vast sums of money under the guise of it's global shipping programme. Under this practice the freight costs are extremely high. Much higher than USPS as Ebay insist on using the highest possible cost for the fastest courier even on items you may not need urgently. Luckily I have relatives in the US who I can get items shipped to for free and get the relative to on ship it to me. I use Kiwi Shipping for the bigger items.

Another heads up. Kiwishippings Prices have increased significantly recently.

So if you are around that $400 mark including shipping make sure you have the right shipping price.

For Ebay I never have them ship my items internationally. There is always insane shipping rates involved.

Contact the seller and make a deal outside of Ebay if you have used them before.

I didn't know about this dodgey shipping policy though. It makes no sense at all. There is no way Ebay would be handing money to NZ customs. And NZ customs has an archaic IT system that would have no communication with Ebay. It would be interesting to see if someone was charged twice. Once by customs and once by Ebay.

They legally do not apply duty to private imports below 400. Its nothing to do with not bothering.

I think if you read the Customs web-site you will see that GST applies to all new goods but you MAY be allowed a personal allowance of $400. Multiple parcels, even months apart can take you over the allowance an duty is then applicable.

It's still a bit rude of eBay to charge you though, I bet it doesn't send the money through to NZ Customs and puts it in it's own pocket.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

I think if you read the Customs web-site you will see that GST applies to all new goods but you MAY be allowed a personal allowance of $400. Multiple parcels, even months apart can take you over the allowance an duty is then applicable.

It's still a bit rude of eBay to charge you though, I bet it doesn't send the money through to NZ Customs and puts it in it's own pocket.

Word.

http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/

They say duty under $60 will be waived not may be waived.

Also import duty vaties dramatically for different classes of goods.

My question is if they are happy to keep your tax when it doesnt apply are they actually paying it when it does reply.

Say they dont and customs hold your goods. Cry all you like they wont let them go and im guessing ebay would take weeks to sort it out.

Another reason to consider local shopping

All i know ive never been charged GST on less than $400 total cost. Used to get away with goods in the $400-$600 region sometimes, but not these days.

Good man Dave!!

I'm so sick of that thing too its the biggest cancer I've seen ebay end up with.

So many people must not buy products because of that system, I know I dont.

the whole shipping thing from the US is absurd.I was interested in buying a scan gauge(OBD port programeable digitl gauge) and the company that makes it quoted me 100 us for shipping!The gauge was 169 US

Sometimes you can save on shipping by using Youshop (or similar services). Will help you avoid some rip-offs.

In my experience it comes down to the seller, ive seen some very high prices for goods and some that have even seemed too cheap. I got a pair of 540i brake rotors and pads from US and shipping was only $50NZD.

Guess i dont come across it much myself as always filter to lowest postage cost\price.