Sign in to follow this  
ethreesix

E46 iPhone 5 integration with head unit

Hi everyone, I've had a search but didn't find what I was after, so just wondering if anyone here has managed to find a DVD head unit for E46 which charges/controls iPhone 5 via the head unit itself? Found a tonne of units which work with iPhone 4 but I'm reluctant to try any with a lightning adapter in case it doesn't work. Ideally I'd like to dock my iPhone via a spec dock, I reckon it's the cleanest looking dock out. Cheers

I am purchasing a Lightning adaptor for my Dyanvin Clone unit. Will let you know how it goes :) I just charge off Cigarette Lighter at present

The usb functions across the iphone range are almost the same so the standard apple lighting to 30 pin adaptor will mean it will function the same way. (Supports usb audio /audio control / data / charging)

Some of the earlier stereo systems and ipod adaptors used the firewire interface in the 30 pin connector of the older devices. Firewire interface and charging was dropped from the iphone 4 on but you can either get a 30 pin to 30 pin charging adaptor or in your case use a apple lightning to 30 pin adaptor.

However , if your after video from the lightning adaptor then you'll need one of the apple adaptors as analog video chipset has been dropped since iphone 5.

Current choices are vga or hdmi adaptors which actually have the video chipset inside the adaptor

With IOS 7 apple have introduced Carplay which is a new interface between factory car systems and the iphone. I'd expect this to start appearing on higher end aftermarket units soon.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-carplay-to-bring-iphone-experience-to-your-next-cars-dashboard/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/22/apple-tech-takes-on-distracted-driving-blocks-users-from-texting-while-behind-the-wheel

Hope this background helps.