Sign in to follow this  
KEMPTY

Need info on E46

Just brought a 2000 318ia with 154000 ks on it. Has oil in water and water level drops over a few days.

No signs of water on dip stick or under filler cap, runs well and does not overheat. Can't distingush whether it is engine oil or could it be trans oil. Any suggestions.

Is there colour in the oil ? Black , clear or pink ?

Does it produce white smoke out of the exhaust? If it does, does it smell sweet (like coolant sweet). If the answer is yes again, you've got head-gasket leak.

My '96 E36 318 touring did have this issue, big white cloud following the car, sweet coolant smell, mayo under the oil cap.

Water is clear but has white/ pink golobels look to it which makes me think trans fluid? transmission changes fine but changes down going down hill when touching brakes, which from what I understand is normal. Secondly if it was trans where is the water going.

No steam or smell from exhaust, as I said before engine seems to perform well. What about water pump? I see that sometimes that can be a problem, yet I imagine there would be a water leak somewhere. Thanks for the feed back, any other ideas.

Give me a call

Hi There,

Went down the auto track. Auto oil was ok, but decided to get flush, filter etc, plus new cooler to cover all bases. $750 later we will see how it pans out. Thanks Glen for you advice.