Sign in to follow this  
duvey

e30 320i Daily

About 3 months ago, after getting sick of dailying the M3, i picked up a pretty pristene manual e30 320i from a lovely gent in Wellington. ~200k, but has been fastidiously maintained, very tidy inside and out. Will endeavor to take some more photos while it isn't dark outside.

Very happy with it. Love the four doors, and love the colour.

On the way home from Welly

up2r2we3.soh.jpg

v1w2ehzt.xz1.jpg

After having driven it for 3 months in its completely stock format, I'm finally getting around to making some tweaks. I told myself when I bought it that i'd leave it stock and just drive it, but so much for that!

So far have just installed some bits from driftit's wrecked 325i (thanks for that), replaced the tape holder central console with a normal one and had it tinted by Carfolie.

- Lowering springs (selby front and peders rear)

- Bilstien sports all around, and upgraded to 51mm front struts.

- m325i beefier front sway bar

After applying the lows (very happy with ride height):

z3nbiewd.4bc.jpg

I have some Euroweaves (15x7s) on the way from Germany. I'm currently fretting over tyre size, but I think I've settled on 205/55/15s, to keep the gearing etc the same, and properly fill out the guards. I think i'll go for Bridgestone Potenza RE002s, but am open to any suggestions.
Things left to do, in order that i'll realistically probably do them:
- Fix the bloody odo (parts purchased, not installed)
- Chuck on the new wheels
- Replace faded badges
- IS lip (purchased, not installed)
- Smilies (current headlights came up nice with a clean)
- Rear sway bar?
- Rip out the shitty A/C and replace the HVAC with the non-AC version
- Colour match the bumpers (but not the black bumper trim strips)
- Colour match wing mirrors
- M30B35 swap (probably) or maybe just M20B25. Fretting on whether I'm up to tackling this myself.
- Appropriately butty exhaust
- Manual e30 steering rack or z3 rack, depending how much time I spend pumping iron in the meantime.
- LSD
- Skids.
Being a bit of a e30 novice, I welcome any advice or opinions, so fire away!
Cheers fullas.
Edited by duvey

Looks good and hat list sure is tasteful. I said the same thing when I bought my E30 but wanting to do a few things with it now! Whats the ride like with the bilstiens? Im also looking for some euroweaves. If you don't mind me asking, what can I excpect to pay if I get them from overseas like you did? Thanks

Looks good and hat list sure is tasteful. I said the same thing when I bought my E30 but wanting to do a few things with it now! Whats the ride like with the bilstiens? Im also looking for some euroweaves. If you don't mind me asking, what can I excpect to pay if I get them from overseas like you did? Thanks

Thanks!

The ones I've bought are (apparently) in pretty good nick. Should end up around $800-900 all landed. Not really sure if it's a good price or not, but its what I wanted (not a fan of the three-piece look) and I couldn't find any here.

Bilstiens with the springs I've got ride great, I'm really pleased with it. Firm but smooth and not busy on a decent road. Certainly better than the buggered originals, but then other than that I don't really have a lot to compare it to.

Koni adjustables seem to be the ones people go for, but I got the bilstiens second hand at a good price.

Edited by duvey

Thats not too bad then. Will look good on them for sure. Im pretty interested in getting some weaves so I might look into it. You might just hear from me again! Anyway keep up the good work, that colour is the best on E30s im my opinion too

• Like 1

would move both LSD and skids further up list, but other than that sounds good!

• Like 2

Bits are accumulating!

IS Lip (thanks Hans)

sdx3ecuu.fr0.jpg

Odo repair kit (thanks dubman)

xwhevra0.loh.jpg

15x7 Euroweaves

jcq33fhl.jtt.jpg

tuspivwo.ge3.jpg

New waffle plate badges

q1bwm5tr.di5.jpg

There will be a frenzy this weekend :)

can't wait to see it with those weaves. It'll look perfect. So far so good aye. keep it up

Wheels fitted up with shiny new Bridgestone Potenza RE002s in 205/55/15.

slitshkg.xzl.jpg

Sneak preview of fitment. More photos when it isn't dark :)

ej0y5suq.duq.jpg

• Like 1

Photos!

3br23btd.zpn.jpg

lesed0t1.k51.jpg

Morning waffles

raaxdrrj.vnb.jpg

vh2z4wnm.kxw.jpg

Not excessive gap :3

sr5t5pp1.jgk.jpg
  • Like 1

super jealous. Can't wait to get some of those of my own zzzzzz. What's the interior like?

IS Lip Installed, after some serious intervention from the Dremel.

l04xdghp.4j5.jpg

lz42qgvg.kjd.jpg
  • Like 1

E36 is now sold, so on with the list! Badges replaced, and headlights came up really nicely with a good clean, so won't bother with the smilies. Did some majorly labour intensive maintenance items too, so can move on to the more interesting stuff.

New front swaybar bushings and m3 offset LCA bushings.

1o1arpda.u0a.jpg

Sneak peek of whats coming! Not really sneaky because now everyone knows exactly what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Engine and gearbox came out of the car last night with a bit of persuasion.

Feel like Nancy Drew. Spent the day researching and calling around trying to work out what was going on with my gearbox and shifter assembly.

Half the reason I decided to pull everything apart was to address the issue of my gearbox leaking transmission fluid and eating flex discs. The transmission fluid leak appears to be the result of the output shaft seal not making a proper seal due to damage to the back of the transmission cover.

Looks like the entire conversion has been done using e21 323i parts. It has a Getrag 245 with a 3 bolt flange conversion. After speaking to Kayne Barrie, its clear that this along with the use of a 6 bolt rather than 8 bolt guibo has caused the damage to the back of the box, and also explains the car eating flex discs like actual edible donuts.

Now on the search for a G260 and associated shifter parts.

zqpgujwb.tab.jpg
jwt4y5il.0im.jpg
e3aw5000.zks.jpg
m03ioypo.b5e.jpg

That's a bit of a hash job that had been done on that transmission swap, I would have thought e30 parts would have been easier to get than e21 stuff

• Like 1

That's a bit of a hash job that had been done on that transmission swap, I would have thought e30 parts would have been easier to get than e21 stuff

You would have thought so!~

New (to me) Getrag260 now in garage. $400.

esa3uhbu.s2w.jpg
To do list! Lots of cleaning to be done.

pifiqgv3.qax.jpg

Have ordered a bunch of parts from the US.

• Complete new shifter assembly (to replace my incorrect e21 one) and transmission crossmember.
  • New revshift urethane engine and trans mounts.
  • Condor Speedshop power steering delete kit.
Edited by duvey
  • Like 2

Things are coming along slowly.

Tidied the garage today.

Got rid of the old Getrag245, sold to Kayne Barrie for parts.

New pilot bearing, swapped across pressure plate and clutch to b25.

Swapped across some ancillaries and hoses from the b20 to the b25.

New 260 all bolted up to the B25 and ready to go in - just waiting on parts from the states now.

xpidf2fi.l1d.jpg

Missing a few bolts that attach the gearbox to the engine. Will make a visit to Jerry Clayton tomorrow to see if I can get them new.

• Like 1

New shifter assembly put together to replace the weird e21 assembly. All new parts.

4lsrs5f5.rke.jpg

• Like 2