Sign in to follow this  
HamishNZ

E34 525i Engine Swap Torque Converter Bolts Misaligned

Car #1:

NZ new E34 525i M50 with ZF 5HP-18 Automatic Transmission.

Car #2:

Japanese import E34 525i M50 with Jatco A5S 300J Automatic Transmission.

Goal:

Put engine #1 into car #2.

Problem:

I can't align torque converter with driveplate to put the x3 17mm bolts in.

It appears to be aligned rotationally (left to right) but it looks like the torque converter hole is a fraction of a mm too low.

I've already re-installed trans to make sure torque converter was all the way in.

I assume both the drive plates are the same?

The shaft on the torque converter lthat goes into the driveplate looks slightly diferent, but i wouldn't think this is the reason?

Any ideas???

Not really understanding this fully.. But have you tried swapping the flex plate that came off the motor that the trans is from, to the new motor... That way the flex plate, torque converter and trans are all from the same unit... instead of marrying up a different flex plate to a different torque converter. Just a thought.

By 'driveplate'' i meant flex plate.

Slightly varying flex plates is the only solution i can think of.

I'll remove trans once AGAIN tomorrow and change flex plate; should get away with leaving engine on mounts.

I'll let ya know how it goes, cheers.

Edited by HamishNZ

Yeah I'll be interested to see. I think you'll find you'll be sweet if you change the flex plate. Let me know.

By 'driveplate'' i meant flex plate.

Slightly varying flex plates is the only solution i can think of.

I'll remove trans once AGAIN tomorrow and change flex plate; should get away with leaving engine on mounts.

I'll let ya know how it goes, cheers.

Changed the flex plates.

One of the threads on the torque converter was cross threaded, managed to re thread it using an exhaust manifold stud ha.

Torque converter is bolted on!

Now the driveshaft doesn't appear long enough? wtf

It doesn't have a flex disc, it has 4 studs that insert into holes in the output flange from trans.

The studs are meeting the flange but are not protruding through to do nuts up???

Is the trans flange supposed to slide out or something? the driveshaft length is fixed right?

What's going on?

Changed the flex plates.

One of the threads on the torque converter was cross threaded, managed to re thread it using an exhaust manifold stud ha.

Torque converter is bolted on!

Now the driveshaft doesn't appear long enough? wtf

It doesn't have a flex disc, it has 4 studs that insert into holes in the output flange from trans.

The studs are meeting the flange but are not protruding through to do nuts up???

Is the trans flange supposed to slide out or something? the driveshaft length is fixed right?

What's going on?

It's a two piece drive shaft right? Can you not slide the drive shaft down the spline a tad to get that extra length. There should be around 80mm play in the spline where the two pieces of the drive shaft join.

Aaaahhh but of course..

I couldn't pull it out, had to lever it.

That's everything mechanical out of the way.

Now just the harness, hopefully it all marrys up!