Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

New engine build - Thoughts?

So I've been thinking about the best engine transplant to do to my E30 - I'm still relatively new to BMWs and the best options when it comes to engine and drivetrain. What would a good viable option? Currently running a 1600cc 4 cyl.

I have a large time frame to build, I'll probably build it out of the car on a stand.

Edited by Skeet

What is your budget? Pretty much anything will go in an e30 if you are willing to pay.

As mentioned above work out your budget then at least that will eliminate a few options, it'll depend on how much work you want to do as well

Put a rotor in it, that's something different :P

• Like 1

I dunno really I was just planning on adding to it as I went. I want something mid range in power and nothing that needs to much modification to fit. Not really sure what a realistic budget would be. (Just to be slightly vague lol)

You could follow the well published M5x route, M52B28 would deliver the best all round package for the money. Given that you're starting with a 316 you'll need to factor in suspension and brake upgrades if you want it to be safe & legal. Speak to Ray or Brent for a conversion package (engine, ecu, loom & trans), they'll be able to give you a realistic idea on pricing. You'll probably need a custom exhaust fabricated to suit, too.

If you used a conservative estimate of say, $2500 for a complete drivetrain package, $500 - $1000 for the exhaust fab, $xxxx for a reasonable suspension upgrade to match the increased weight in the engine bay, cert costs, bigger rubber and probably wheels to put your newfound power to the road, $300 - $1200 for the right diff.............................

Even with an M52, the cost could easily break 5 figures. If you were to use an S50B30 you can add at least another 4k to the 2.5k for the 2.8. 1UZ / M60 conversions would easily cost the same by the time the custom engineering is taken into account.

And if you plan to pay someone else to do the install it'll be exponentially more costly. I'm not trying to scare you off, but unless you can do nearly all the work yourself you could be better off looking around for a car thats had everything you want already done. For inspiration take a look at Hybrids "Operation : Weapons Grade". All 40+ pages of it, there's some really good info. Granted, his project is quite possibly one of the most comprehensively reworked E30s in NZ, but it'll give you a good idea of whats involved in doing a swap like this properly :)

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

You could follow the well published M5x route, M52B28 would deliver the best all round package for the money. Given that you're starting with a 316 you'll need to factor in suspension and brake upgrades if you want it to be safe & legal. Speak to Ray or Brent for a conversion package (engine, ecu, loom & trans), they'll be able to give you a realistic idea on pricing. You'll probably need a custom exhaust fabricated to suit, too.

If you used a conservative estimate of say, $2500 for a complete drivetrain package, $500 - $1000 for the exhaust fab, $xxxx for a reasonable suspension upgrade to match the increased weight in the engine bay, cert costs, bigger rubber and probably wheels to put your newfound power to the road, $300 - $1200 for the right diff.............................

Even with an M52, the cost could easily break 5 figures. If you were to use an S50B30 you can add at least another 4k to the 2.5k for the 2.8. 1UZ / M60 conversions would easily cost the same by the time the custom engineering is taken into account.

And if you plan to pay someone else to do the install it'll be exponentially more costly. I'm not trying to scare you off, but unless you can do nearly all the work yourself you could be better off looking around for a car thats had everything you want already done. For inspiration take a look at Hybrids "Operation : Weapons Grade". All 40+ pages of it, there's some really good info. Granted, his project is quite possibly one of the most comprehensively reworked E30s in NZ, but it'll give you a good idea of whats involved in doing a swap like this properly :)

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! Any idea what sort of cost would be involved in dropping in say a 2.5 6 cyl from a 325i? I understand the cost would be a lot more than just buying a 325i but I really couldn't pass up on the condition of this shell. As I said it would be an engine stand build so I can chip away at it as I go, which I figured would also offset the cost a fair bit over time.

turbo m42b18

light plenty of go and not nose heavy with a 6 in it

• Like 2

No idea, there's plenty of folk on here that have done E30-M5x swaps, they're not too hard to find either. M50B25 would be a poorer engine choice c/o less torque and being a cast iron block it adds another 60(?) kgs over the all alloy M52. Heavier + less torque seems counter-intuitive to me. I'm not claiming to be an E30 guru, just relaying what other guys round here have been up to.

Or pay heed to crunchys comment. He knows a thing or two about FI M40s & M50s.

Search the forum dude, there's plenty of kick ass projects on here to draw inspiration from

Come to think of it, what were the final numbers from your M4x Crunchy? Somewhere north of 300bhp, wasn't it?

Edited by Ahmedsinc
  • Like 1

We have a m50b32 here

$700 with loom ecu manifolds, complete minus box

We have a m50b32 here

$700 with loom ecu manifolds, complete minus box

Wheres here? Also any idea of the ks?

Christchurch and think it was 190000 will check when I get home

No idea, there's plenty of folk on here that have done E30-M5x swaps, they're not too hard to find either. M50B25 would be a poorer engine choice c/o less torque and being a cast iron block it adds another 60(?) kgs over the all alloy M52. Heavier + less torque seems counter-intuitive to me. I'm not claiming to be an E30 guru, just relaying what other guys round here have been up to.

Or pay heed to crunchys comment. He knows a thing or two about FI M40s & M50s.

Search the forum dude, there's plenty of kick ass projects on here to draw inspiration from

Come to think of it, what were the final numbers from your M4x Crunchy? Somewhere north of 300bhp, wasn't it?

was around there wasnt an expensive engine but has the all the go fast bits the cars well balanced and done over 30k on the setup and its a sleeper, less weight more go cant be a bad thing

• Like 1

Probably gonna end up in the burns unit for this one, but how about a vtec engine? something like a k20 from the last gen integra or s2000. possibilities to go FI with it too. or even the b series engine fab'd for rwd config.

Or a 4g63t. Very popular and easy engine for making power, but maybe not so much for originality factor.

• Like 1

M10b20 + 30 psi boost = much fun!! ( and empty pockets) ;)

Any idea what sort of cost would be involved in dropping in say a 2.5 6 cyl from a 325i? I understand the cost would be a lot more than just buying a 325i but I really couldn't pass up on the condition of this shell. As I said it would be an engine stand build so I can chip away at it as I go, which I figured would also offset the cost a fair bit over time.

I take it you mean an E30 325i rather than the later M5x 2.5 ltr out of the E36, etc? Would be one of the cheaper options, just need the full engine swap plus a gearbox (i think) and prop-shaft. it would all sit on factory mounts so no need for all the cert work (I think - correct me if I'm wrong here).

M20b25 engines are pretty cheap and they do come up pretty often and it's a fairly straight forward swap because it all bolts up. Not the most power in the world, but then you can add bits and pieces, like headers, cam, etc. later on to get a few more horses.

Needs a cert for the power increase, but much easier if everything is factory!!

Needs a cert for the power increase, but much easier if everything is factory!!

no one will know.

You might get the one guy who knows they didnt make a 6 cylinder 316i, then you are up for a cert!! I wouldnt be surprised if you got away with it though!! ;)

You might get the one guy who knows they didnt make a 6 cylinder 316i, then you are up for a cert!! I wouldnt be surprised if you got away with it though!! ;)

This is true..

So many people are adamant about needing insurance for their car then openly ignore the laws around certs which will void insurance.

Is a kid stuck a sr20det into a 1.6l sentra and killed someone wheb the brakes failed everyone would call him a moron yet every other conversion thread on here promotes doing just that.

I dont want to start arguements here as the thread isnt about that but ive got no time for people who think the fact they own a socket set makes them smarter that the law makers.