Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

New engine build - Thoughts?

I agree with you Jason

If it needed certification then I would get certification - if thats what you're getting at?

I was getting at the people who say " dont worry about a cert the wof guys never notice" people can make their own choices but dont encourage people to break the law.

• Like 1

My comment about certifying was not intended to mean "don't worry about getting a cert", using factory parts - rather than those that have to be fabricated to suit, makes the whole certification process easier. There is no need for engineering certificates and drawings, or certification of welds, etc. both of which take time and cost money. I will double check the rules as to whether it removes the need for a cert at all in some situations.

It was certainly not intended to encourage anyone to ignore the law, either by accident or design, more to make the OP aware that there can be more of a process involved with putting some engines into an E30 as opposed to others.

• Like 1

You might get the one guy who knows they didnt make a 6 cylinder 316i, then you are up for a cert!! I wouldnt be surprised if you got away with it though!! ;)

This is true..

Whoops, for some reason I thought the OP's car was a 320 and they were looking at putting a 2.5 in it.

Either way, I know of a 318i with a m52b28 in it that has been getting warrants for the last four years no questions asked (with bucket seats etc), and that isnt even going to "dodgy" WOF places.

I think an insurance assessor would be a bit more thorough given its his employers money at stake.

Whoops, for some reason I thought the OP's car was a 320 and they were looking at putting a 2.5 in it. 

Either way, I know of a 318i with a m52b28 in it that has been getting warrants for the last four years no questions asked (with bucket seats etc), and that isnt even going to "dodgy" WOF places.

Its a good thing bmw designed their suspension with that much power, torque and weight distribution in mind

Its a good thing bmw designed their suspension with that much power, torque and weight distribution in mind

Are you referring to the M52 swap or the 2.0 to 2.5 conversion?

Mostly the m52. Obviously the 2.0 >2.5 isnt going to overwhelm the factory setup but it does breach the limits for a cert.

I know alot of people in australia who are not even allowed to add a pod filter. I hate the fact that the media will pick on modifcations first.

Look at the news tonight drunk driver in a turbo honda with no skills crashed and killed people. A cert wouldnt have saved them as he was still going to be doing 200kph+ on a damp road drunk. But the media went on about how the lack of cert was the issue. Its things like that which will kill the already relaxed rules.

The m52 has other things done to it. But I can't see why a standard 318 with a m52 in it wouldn't pass cert.

Any mongol can get in a car drunk and do 200kph and kill people, it doesn't have to be modified to do that. The media will report any story and sensationalise it. Obviously the Honda didn't have a cert, how is making car modifications harder for the people who want to do things legally going to help?

Its like making tougher gun control laws..... The criminals already have illegal guns with the current laws.... The country is run by f**kwits.

• Like 2

All its about is who can get on the news and drum up support for their cause, or get noticed the most to move up that next spot in the party list. 80% of the news every night.

The thing you have to watch is when consultants who get paid by the government to make new law for the sake of law making because of some new fad/fashion in car culture starts up.

The drive shaft hoop thing is a by product of crap aussie car design coupled to noobs putting big blocks in standard cars. Now we all get to suffer and its now taken to the extreme.

The m52 has other things done to it. But I can't see why a standard 318 with a m52 in it wouldn't pass cert. ]

This is why there is a cert system. Someone who is a trained mechanical engineer will look at it, drive it, and tell you exactly why a standard 318 with an m52 in it WONT pass a cert!

The system isnt perfect, but it works pretty well, and if you follow the rules it lets you do some pretty cool stuff!!

Doesnt matter if it will pass or not. What matters is it will void insurance. And it will make anyone involved look like a turkey if things go pear shapped.

Is there a better systen than cert plates? Yes

Will we ever get there when the sunday herald readers are being convinced that every car without a cert plate will give every other motorist cancer upon looking at it? Dont think so.

And it will likely need driveshaft hoops which is actually the mist rediculous cert requirement out there.

And it will likely need driveshaft hoops which is actually the mist rediculous cert requirement out there.

Ask Ashkan about the benefit of driveshaft hoops, like the one he had to add to get his cert.

Yes, it is like trying to tighten gun control laws, but if there isn't a law in the first place then it can't be enforced.

Unfortunately when you have a "rogue element" of Boy Racers amongst the car enthusiast community the general public will see all modified cars as being in the same category and look to the Police and Government to do something about it. Hence we have a system we need to work to, and thank out lucky stars that it is a million times better than the system in Aussie.

ah great to see another thread sticking to the topic, now whats the motor chose again I've lost track......

• Like 1

Think we decided on a 12a rotary or a nissan td42 diesel

• Like 3

Cert prices are about to go through the roof so look for more uncerted shite on the roads too....

Really i hadnt heard that but its a shame. Why should a cert for new wheels cost as much as certing a home made spaceframed racecar.

Really i hadnt heard that but its a shame. Why should a cert for new wheels cost as much as certing a home made spaceframed racecar.

It wont. The cert for ya basic adjustable suspension will be about $500+expenses (about the same cost as my E30). Your cost for a scratchbuilt will be more like $2000+expenses.

Engine swaps will be somewhere in between.

Jeeebus. My last cert was only 450 and that was engine swap, brakes, suspension etc. Which I thought was not bad.

Ffs. Make it a set fee plus dollar per hour for the cert guy. So if you do it properly and go in prepared it costs less.

Or go to the overseas system of a log book where you can add mids as you go for a set amount per mod. Save people driving uncerted until the car is finished

Also as anyone who has gone for a cert can tell you. Cert guys are old. Almost all are over 50 and they have added like 3 new guys in the last decade. Its a very ling process to get to be a cert guy. Like 5+ years. And what happens when all the current guys retire?.

Mark stokes has been working to get his son in to replace him but his 20+ years building cars has been deemed insufficient experiance by the higher powers

It's unclear as to how the costs are accounted for. I think flat fee+hourly for the cert guy is more or less the go. But the fees are going up.

Biggest issue is that the Govt gives no f**k for you or your car mods. If they had it their way you'd be able to do approx diddly squat to it. Therefore, they give little or no funding for the cert process.

LVVTA is on it's own with a 'f**k you if you don't like it' from the govt cause, after winning the media war, they know you're public enemy number one.

ra ra ra...

• Like 1

None of you know whats involved at all. The inspection of the vehicle for a cert can take half an hour - 2 hours. The written report and documentation for the half hour- 2 hour inspection can take at least 1-2 hours to complete , edit and process.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1