Sign in to follow this  
westy

Having trouble sourcing that genuine lightweight e-type? Never fear..

Having trouble sourcing that genuine lightweight e-type? Never fear..

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/...release_140514

Jaguar is to build six brand new 'Lightweight' E-types - the 'missing' six Lightweights that were never built from the intended 18-car series

Jaguar's first ever 're-creation' project, the all-aluminium cars will be assigned the six remaining chassis numbers which were originally allocated in 1963

All six vehicles will be built as perfect reproductions and to the exact specifications of the original 12 cars first produced in 1963

The first new Lightweight E-type will make its public debut later this summer. Further information will be released at that point

14 May 2014 - Jaguar is to build six perfect reproductions of the original, race-bred Lightweight E-type that was created in 1963. The new cars are the 'missing' six vehicles from Jaguar's Lightweight E-type project, which originally started in February 1963 with the objective of building 18 'Special GT E-type Cars'.

Only 12 of the aluminium bodied Lightweight E-types were eventually built, the last in 1964, the remaining six designated chassis numbers having lain dormant, until now.

The new cars will be hand-built in-house by Jaguar's finest craftsmen. Each car will be constructed to the exact specifications of their original 1960s forebears - including the 3.8-litre straight-six engine.

The Lightweight carried approximately 114kg (250lb) less weight than a standard E-type, thanks to its all-aluminium body and engine block, a lack of interior trim and exterior chrome work and a host of further weight-saving features including lightweight, hand-operated side windows.

Jaguar expects a high demand for the six Lightweight E-types. Established Jaguar collectors, especially those with historic race car interests, will be prioritised amongst those potential customers who express interest.

Jag_Lightweight_E-type_Image_140514_04_P

Jag_Lightweight_E-type_Image_140514_05_P

Orsum.

even though I'm not really a jag fan, hard to say whether all original with original type motors is better than using the same body and putting a late model engine in??? I'm sure there are plenty of very well restored ones around already???

i bet owners of "original" ones might not be too happy about the price of their investment falling????

even though I'm not really a jag fan, hard to say whether all original with original type motors is better than using the same body and putting a late model engine in??? I'm sure there are plenty of very well restored ones around already???

i bet owners of "original" ones might not be too happy about the price of their investment falling????

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the owners of the "original" Lightweight E-Types buy these to race, and move their originals into the garage. The original cars are worth 4-5 million pounds, these newer ones will be significantly less.

Hmmm... I might buy one. They should be cheap, being an old english POS.

Original spec calls for oil leaks. Wonder if that will dent the pride to much or will originality win out

I don't see how an manufacturer can comply these cars. No airbags / crumple zones / abs...

they musn't be road legal. collectors pieces only,

Original spec calls for oil leaks.

E type/540. Same same. Also pretty sure Bosch is the Dark Lord reincarnate...

That's pretty amazing.

Could they be road registered though? With new regulations and what not?

Also pretty sure Bosch is the Dark Lord reincarnate...

Nah... Bosch is definitely the Light Lord...

Abs light, Traction light, Stability light, Airbag light.....

• Like 1

I don't see how an manufacturer can comply these cars. No airbags / crumple zones / abs...

they musn't be road legal. collectors pieces only,

That's pretty amazing.

Could they be road registered though? With new regulations and what not?

Hmmm... ever seen the crash test results of a Great Wall ute?????

• Like 1

Hmmm... ever seen the crash test results of a Great Wall ute?????

Yeah, but at least you'd go out in style!