Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

M54 cooling system

Fwiw, I have had an absolute headache with the cooling system on my m52. 2x tstat, 2x wp, 2x reservoirs, 2x tstat housings 1x radiator, 1x fan clutch, 1x fan, 1x fan shroud. It's now running a stable temp of 92/93 but I still have a heater control valve, and have noticed tonight a bit of seepage around bleed screw on reservoir, so will have to replace that with a third one. Oem this time. Mine kept getting hot due to two blockages and one tstat that was bad out of the box.

Crap, that IS a headache!

No sign of any scale on the hoses so I'm picking no blockages in the passages, though I will add the disclaimer as I'm no expert. Only non OEM part is the pump as it's the metal impeller variety. Hoping like hell the KTMP stays stable around the 93* range tomorrow, otherwise it's off to the local shop for a TK & compression test :(

I thought hg too. But went to see a mate, and did tk and pressure test which all came back good. Found blockages in heater control valve, and reservoir in the gallery from bleed screw to reservoir. Over it really. Lol.

post-4208-0-65436400-1403500021_thumb.jp

Righto, gave the car a decent amount of time at idle outside the shed. KTMP briefly touched 97* at idle, electric fan stepped in and brought it back to 96*.

Better than 112* but still seems a bit high to me? Or am I just being paranoid?

Recalling Allans post on OBC functions, cruise range is between 92-98*, would this be a reasonable range for idle as well or should it be higher / lower? Pardon my ignorance here, but it's something I've never had to pay attention to before.

REALLY can't afford for anything major to go wrong with this car at the moment, hence the anxiety over what is hopefully nothing.

Thanks for all the input so far, most appreciated :)

Doesn't seem high to me. V8 runs at 103-5 degrees. If anything, seems a little low?

Seems fine. Just drive it and keep an eye on the temp gauge. Take some water with you incase...

Those temps are OK. The 6's run cooler than the 8's.

The ecu only drops the engine temp when the parameters are met - ie load increases etc.

It probably does run it hot at idle, because the hotter it runns, the more economical it is. If you were to suddenly boot it up the road, you'd probably see it drop (or try to!).

Keeping an eye on the temp gauge doesn't help much in these... keep the KTMP up on the OBC. You don't have to unlock the OBC every time - I just enter "service" mode (secret menu) and enter test 7 straight away, and it works fine (unless you disconnect tha battery or code the car etc, in which case the code has to be put in to unlock it.)

Yup, have been using the OBC unlock you posted - legend!! Does make me wonder what else it can do though............

Will take it out for a sedate tour around the block tomorrow, eyes simultaneously glued to the road and the LCD :ph34r:

Cheers for your help guys, most appreciated :)

While the m54 does fail when overheated they are not as delicate as made out and have be known to suffer no damage after being run for minutes after dumping all there coolant such as in the event of a burst hose/expansion tank /radiator. Keep in mind when your reading the temp on your cluster that the boiling point with a sealed cooling system under pressure and with the correct mix of antifreeze is close to 130 C.