Sign in to follow this  
natshaw

BM24 radio vs BM54 'back' (round pins) - what's the differ

Given the features that the BM54 backwards-compatible round-pins version lacks, is it really any different to a BM24?

(Apart from antenna connect differences)

Edited by Chalky

the BM54 back was made to accommodate any warranty or replacement of bm24 units i.e. straight plug and play (apart from antenna connect). only significant difference apart from being a newer more modern unit, is it has better Nav voice interaction.. (soft fade in and out).

BM54 Back's DONT have Aux In.

BM24's are still good units. much better sound than C23s etc and easy upgrade as you don't need to replace the antenna amp like you need to if upgrade to a BM54 flat pin.

the bm24 did have dry joint issues, but then the bm54 had amp issues... if you have NAV, i'd go for a BM54. IMHO..

Do people still use OEM nav ?

Ha ha, yes, I do! I have just upgraded my Japanese E38 Nav & 4:3 monitor to Mk-IV Nav and 16:9 monitor. Love it!

Hey thanks for answers everyone. The only thing that confuses me is the fact I have seen aux in pins on diagrams for old-style BMW radios. See X18805 below. 43516d1280471043-bm54-does-not-act-like-

The second diagram that's been floating around the internet is for a late 2002 and on manufacture date of the BM54 which was when the aux feature was added. It was futher enhanced later on to understand cd text and mp3 Id tags when the stacker appeared on the scene .

It is possible to take the inputs board from a later broken bm54 and re - soldier it into an existing one to gain aux. one of the roms can also be re flashed to gain mp3 tag support. However , it's not an easy DIY and I'd go Denison bt lite for aux and bt support .

Hey thanks for answers everyone. The only thing that confuses me is the fact I have seen aux in pins on diagrams for old-style BMW radios. See X18805 below.

That "old style" plug is the same that is used on the E46 head unit radios MD53, CD53 etc and later versions do have aux in. so the aux in is only relevant to e46 head units. not Nav radio modules.

If you see a ebay listing for a BM54 back with aux-in, it is incorrect.

The second diagram that's been floating around the internet is for a late 2002 and on manufacture date of the BM54 which was when the aux feature was added. It was futher enhanced later on to understand cd text and mp3 Id tags when the stacker appeared on the scene .

It is possible to take the inputs board from a later broken bm54 and re - soldier it into an existing one to gain aux. one of the roms can also be re flashed to gain mp3 tag support. However , it's not an easy DIY and I'd go Denison bt lite for aux and bt support .

much easier to buy the adaptor leads and change antenna amp than fluff around with swapping plugs onto a circuit board..

the BM54 back was made to accommodate any warranty or replacement of bm24 units i.e. straight plug and play (apart from antenna connect). only significant difference apart from being a newer more modern unit, is it has better Nav voice interaction.. (soft fade in and out).

BM54 Back's DONT have Aux In.

BM24's are still good units. much better sound than C23s etc and easy upgrade as you don't need to replace the antenna amp like you need to if upgrade to a BM54 flat pin.

the bm24 did have dry joint issues, but then the bm54 had amp issues... if you have NAV, i'd go for a BM54. IMHO..

Thanks mate. Re fade in & out, which do you mean?

1. It lowers the radio volume (as opposed to simply silencing it) when nav speaks?
  2. Or, it fades the radio to silent, then plays the nav voice, (as opposed to simply cutting over instantly)

My BM54 Back definitely does not do #1.

Edited by Chalky