Sign in to follow this  
728besitzer

To remove all factory stuff?

The radio amp is faulty. Keeps cutting out.

On occasion the head unit flickers.

CD works fine. Even the tape deck works fine.

Sat Nav is original and I havent updated as use Garmin on dashboard.

Question is... can I have the amp removed and replaced with standard amp from audio shop without a full rewire or recode?

Or to replace the head unit 16:9... dont modern ones have a built in amp, making the original factory one obselete?

I am after a nice sounding system but dont need fancy.

Who can folks recommend in Auckland to sort me out. The guys in Newmarket quoted $700 to remove old amp/cd changer/head unit and rewire (leaving in current speakers) and replace head unit. This estimate does not include the cost of the head unit... no fancy upgrades were requested, no fancy amps or woofers etc etc... just the labour to remove the old and replace with a simple headunti. Does this sound like the very top end of pricing or are there quality alternatives. I have no idea if this is a 7 hour job or not.

Cheers

have seen many messed up setups by car audio shops not knowing how the system works.

i have had the amps repaired in the past .

you can wire in a new amp ,

but really need to fit crossovers etc to do the job properly otherwise you will be sending bass to tweeters etc and blowing them up.

or at least a capacitor inline with the tweeters etc

just remember the orginal amp has about 10 chanels and with built in crossovers for each speaker , bass , mid and tweeters etc

The radio amp is faulty. Keeps cutting out.

On occasion the head unit flickers.

CD works fine. Even the tape deck works fine.

Sat Nav is original and I havent updated as use Garmin on dashboard.

Question is... can I have the amp removed and replaced with standard amp from audio shop without a full rewire or recode?

Or to replace the head unit 16:9... dont modern ones have a built in amp, making the original factory one obselete?

I am after a nice sounding system but dont need fancy.

Who can folks recommend in Auckland to sort me out. The guys in Newmarket quoted $700 to remove old amp/cd changer/head unit and rewire (leaving in current speakers) and replace head unit. This estimate does not include the cost of the head unit... no fancy upgrades were requested, no fancy amps or woofers etc etc... just the labour to remove the old and replace with a simple headunti. Does this sound like the very top end of pricing or are there quality alternatives. I have no idea if this is a 7 hour job or not.

Yes, this is a 7 hour job in these cars! Took me a day and a half to do this in my e39.

Cheers

I'd be inclined to re-seat the tuner connector and the amp connector before going any further. Both are located in the boot on the passenger side. Either of these connectors can cause downstream issues such as what your having. (More likely tuner module which does source switching , video switching and provides video screen with essential signals)