Sign in to follow this  
topcat

i've done some dumb stuff, this guy on the other hand....

But for some reason I felt sorry for the guy! :-/

Felt sorry for the guy trying to blow out a petrol fire? :mellow:

Oldie but still makes me laugh

:)

No, sorry that he's just set is project back considerably.

Fair

Jesus. What a mess.

I had a fire extinguisher handy at all times when I did my engine conversion, especially near the early start up days, never know what could happen! Though EFI is so much safer than a dirty old carb.

Surely it smelt like petrol when he was trying to fire it up? and that rogue spark from a live wire was worth investigating... sigh.

Not sure of the validity of it, but the miner trapped underground for 17 years in the link on the right is a pretty radical read.

17 years? pffft...

Not sure of the validity of it, but the miner trapped underground for 17 years in the link on the right is a pretty radical read.

17 years? pffft...

Hoax.

What a fool, Still trying to start the engine when the damn things still caught fire?

Here's the original description:

My name is shawn prince and i am 23 years old. I was/am building a Mazda miata drift car powered by a small block Chevy 350. I was super excited to start it.... I could not start with exhaust manifolds because they would not fit. I have to make my own.... But aside from that, I mounted in the car, via modified subframe and hooked a hoist on the rear to keep the engine level.... I hooked up all the fuel lines and gave it a go.... Resulted in a horrendous fire where I got 1st and 2nd degree burns all over my left arm and leg...the reason for the fire is ignition timing was off and fuel pressure at the regulator was too high.... I killed fuel and spark and I kept turning the engine over so it would suck the fire back into the engine therefore extinguishing the fire but that didn't work and I did not have a fire extinguisher so I grabbed the hose.

He just panicked and jumped the gun with starting it....read somewhere his mechanic teacher/tutor said to keep cranking if a fire started so it gets "sucked back in"

Yep, seen race cars that have caught fire around engine area and that's the best thing to do, keep cranking to suck flames.

But flame wasn't that big in the beginning? Wouldn't you just normally put the flame out with something before it escalades how it did? Still turning over didn't help in this situation. LOL

Best option initially world be to suffocate fire with a damp cloth. I speak from experience lol

No it didn't help in this instance. I've seen it work 100% on a touring car however.

Bearing in mind that the powder in dry extinguishers gets absolutely bloody everywhere & is acidic it is best to try controlling the fire with other means first.........not sure I'd be brave enough to try cranking my way through an engine fire!

Still, fail for not having one at hand for an unexpected situation! Dirty valve stems is still better than a burnt out shed