Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E85 Z4 - The good & the bad?

It has come to my attention used Automatic E85s in 2.5 / 3.0 spec are becoming rather well priced in recent years. This got me thinking, are they any good as a drivers car?

Obviously as a convertible it's going to be somewhat floppy and it my creak over the rough stuff which is a contradiction to what I indicated I wanted in my 'Solid' riding BMW thread, but that aside, the roof can be folded down so any noise will be drowned out by wind and the exhaust note!

That said from what I've read they are considerably stiffer than the weak Z3, 5.6k nm/deg vs Z4 12.5k nm/deg which is about the same as an E36 coupe, not bad for a convertible, not far behind the DB9 Convertible either, but who knows about those internet stats.

I really like the way the Z4s look personally, so I could see it being a fun platform to make a fun weekend car. I'm sure many improvements could be made with extra strut bracing in the front and rear where possible, remove the somewhat iffy fabric folding roof assembly to make way for a rear 4 point roll cage with possibly side bars running to the forward firewall between the seat and doors, and just use a hardtop ($) for wet weather. The suspension and brakes would also need to be address as upgrades.

No doubt I'd look into replacement engines. What is the question though :P

While other options are E46s I think the E85 is much more unique looking and just has that extra fun factor.

Thoughts??

Two words: do it

Edited by QUBE

Didn't realise your new job was as a hairdresser, Mike?! ;)

• Like 2

My mum has had a 3.0 for yonks. Don't think anything has ever gone wrong with it ( apart from the time when my nephew locked himself in the car and managed to get his head stuck, which caused my parents to panic and cut the roof open to unlock the doors ).

The steering is heavy, it bangs and crashes over bumps ( hers has the 18's and low profile tyres ) and tramlines like a bitch. But I drove it all around the North Island and it was a great roadster.

Edited by vtgts300kw
  • Like 1

I had a 3.0L Z4 before and it was as good as a roadster could be for sub $30k. Surprisingly quiet for a convertible and feels relatively rigid. However the one issue that I had with mine was water leaking into the boot. Apparently it is a design flaw where water would enter the boot if it is parked on an incline. The carpet and trunk floor absorbed all the water and over time leaked into the well where the amp and other electronic components are housed. My amp fried and replacement was $2000. Couldn't find the leak in the end, so replaced all the seals and drilled a little hole in well to avoid possible ponding.

Z4M would avoid all of the above pitfalls and negate any talk of engine transplants. Plus, they look tits.

Of course, winning Lotto might also be helpful.

Mmm Z4M coupe indeed, but they are still fairly pricey.

Well the whole point of cars for me is to do something different, namely that old trick of putting a bigger engine in with more cylinders. So much fun!

• Like 2

In my mind you don't want something too fancy if you're going to do a transplant... and any chassis after about Y2K you're going to have a nightmare with electronics if you want to transplant and cert.

Realistically you'll need a great chassis from mid to late 90's and well, guess what? You've already picked one of the best.

This is true, there woud be some hurdles.

But that is part of the challenge. :)

I like the Z4s. The 3.0 manual goes like a shower of sh*t, no need for transplant with that M54. We have bugger all known issues with the 85s, fair few around our area too.

Edited by Greg.

Useless daily fact #376: The 3.0 has intake noise plumbed into the cabin. Not electronically either, but there is a pipe with a membrane "speaker" in the end.

• Like 3

Useless daily fact #376: The 3.0 has intake noise plumbed into the cabin. Not electronically either, but there is a pipe with a membrane "speaker" in the end.

You're kidding, right?

Where the hell do you dig this sort of info up from?? :blink:

Same as the BMW Mini BOV is plumbed into firewall.

You're kidding, right? Where the hell do you dig this sort of info up from?? :blink:

The new M5 does something similar only it uses the cars speakers.

The Toybaru 86 has something similar too.

The horror... it has come to my attention there arent any Bentley or Haynes manuals around for this model.

Unless I've missed something..

Nothing like that Clinton. E85 is putting its own noise into the cabin, F10 is using artificial noise.

My brother has an 06 z4....yes it hard at low speeds but handles brilliantly at speed ,goes like a cut cat & sounds awesome under load.

And zero issues in 4 years

• Like 1