Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

E36 M54 engine swap

it runs

That sort of project pace just makes me depressed - thanks!

PS. With no vid of open-ITB's making glorious doorty sounds - it's all lies!!

• Like 1

When for a little drive tonight and youre right the ITB's make a very good sound,

Jeez Eddie ya don't muck about. Top work.

• Like 1

Jeez Eddie ya don't muck about. Top work.

thanks

its getting some dyno time tonight. :-)

Does anyone know how much oil these engines take. Ive put in 5.5 litres and its still low.

thanks

its getting some dyno time tonight. :-)

Must upload a vid' for us please.

Tuning cut short.

Got the basic tune tune sorted ie the drive ability

but once I started to do some wot runs I started to get different afr on back to back runs.

I need to check the pressure but I starting drink instead.

• Like 1

Wow not bad at all from a 2.0 . What changes did you need to do to get the S50 ITB's up and running in terms of engine management, or is this now on standalone?

Wow not bad at all from a 2.0 . What changes did you need to do to get the S50 ITB's up and running in terms of engine management, or is this now on standalone?

I'm using a Link Atom. They are around $1000 mark. Its only controlling the inlet cam by changing the duty cycle based on engine temp,rpm and tps

For anyone interested this how we setup the Atom to control the inlet cam

2vi2i6v.jpg

xpy9t0.jpg

Edited by rot62
  • Like 1

Nice - did it take much time on the dyno to tune the VANOS? Presume it was done as a 'steady state' type of thing?

Sorry if [OT]

With using the Atom, are you running the Ign as 'Waste Spark' and the Fuel as Batch (3inj in 2 groups)?

I was contemplating this for my 1JZ, but 'seemed' a massive downgrade from the sequential Ign and semi-seq fuel (2inj in 3 groups) it has stock.

I presume the M54 would have been full seq' Ign + Fuel, not to mention the dual VANOS originally.

[/OT]

I'm liking this project B) I really like the M54 engine!

It's also very cool that people like you share their projects on here!

M54 Nerd info below:

You're probably well aware of this, but that's not at all how the Vanos on an M54 is usually controlled. I find it quite interesting, so I'll bore some readers with sme info.

The Standard M54 can vary the valve timing infinetly between the upper and lower limit, and uses pulse width modulation of the solenoids to alter the oil flow (pressure) to the vanos pistons to suit. It measures the amount of retard or advance using the cam position sensors, and adjusts PWM to get the reading it wants based on a table along the same lines as yours. It does it that way, because oil pressure affects the oil flow into the vanos, so when the oil is cold and thick, the amount of advance for a given PWM will be different to the same PWM with an operating temperature oil, which is a lot thinner (and of course, RPM can alter it too).

I assume an aftermarket ECU capable of doing that is probably a lot more expensive and very complicated!

I'm not up with the play of exactly what the full effects of the exhaust cam timing are, but I do know the M54 usually alters cam and ignition timing when the car is running cold, to heat up the cats faster (More overlap, later ignition etc), which is obvuoisly more about emmisions than anything else. I'm sure it has some input into performance at some point too. With really worn seals they can actually idle really rough sometimes as the ecu can't get the cams where it wants them under certain conditions.

$2000 will get you a after market ecu that can place the cam timing were exactly where you want it. From what I have read and people I have spoken to is the exhaust is more for emissions. People have spent hours chasing exhaust cam Timing to only gain 5hp in the mid range

To help us get around the oil temp effecting the pwm the ecu only starts controlling the cam after 40deg.

Edited by rot62

Nice - did it take much time on the dyno to tune the VANOS? Presume it was done as a 'steady state' type of thing?

Sorry if [OT]

With using the Atom, are you running the Ign as 'Waste Spark' and the Fuel as Batch (3inj in 2 groups)?

I was contemplating this for my 1JZ, but 'seemed' a massive downgrade from the sequential Ign and semi-seq fuel (2inj in 3 groups) it has stock.

I presume the M54 would have been full seq' Ign + Fuel, not to mention the dual VANOS originally.

[/OT]

Multipoint grouped and wasted spark using the factory coils

I'm not looking for Max fuel economy , individual fuel trims or anything like that as this is just a low budget way of getting more flexible tuning over the factory ecu.

Edited by rot62

By the way I ran the 520i up on the dyno before I removed the engine and it made 125hp at the wheels.

It was completey stock at that time.

So to get to a little over 160hp atw the mods I have made are

Changed inlet to s50 itbs

M50 exhaust

link atom ecu

Manual gearbox (was already in the car)

Gull force 10

Which adds up to about a 30% gain in power which was more than I expected.

Edited by rot62

Multipoint grouped and wasted spark using the factory coils

I'm not looking for Max fuel economy , individual fuel trims or anything like that as this is just a low budget way of getting more flexible tuning over the factory ecu.

Who mentioned the dreaded 'e' word.....

I was more curious to real word differences going from a fully Seq' EMS to a something 'less'.

Probably more a perception thing I am guessing....

Obviously the improvements in power speak for themselves, bet it's a blast to drive.

PS. No Vidi + No Dorty sounds track = It's not real

Who mentioned the dreaded 'e' word.....

PS. No Vidi + No Dorty sounds track = It's not real

Hahaha the e word

Yes there gains for sequential vs batch but in this case not worth the extra cost.

We run a sequential setup in our gtr and that allows us to increase the fuel for clyinders 5 & 6 due to the design of the factory manifold favouring these clyinders.

We are going to taupo next weekend I'll get vid of it

Edited by rot62

Which sump did you use? 35hp is a healthy jump, you must be very pleased :)

The e39 sump, unmodified.

You always want more power

The e39 sump, unmodified.

You always want more power

Sweet, means I won't have to get an M50 one for my swap, thanks.

Yeah, it's a bit of a losing battle really :)

Just finshed the first tank of gas since the install, all is well.

I still need to install a isc but other than that its all running ok

ih5mc5.jpg

Did you get fid of the factory oil seperater completely?

How'd you go about it?