Sign in to follow this  
raewyn22

New ride - 89' E30 Touring 325i

Did a bit of procrastinating today before going ahead and installing the headliner.

Took the windscreen out and the seal and discovered something that wasnt so pleasant..

Posted Image

Though it could be worse, it does mean the car will be odd the road for longer.

Maybe another month or so. Glad we found it early and can only go ahead and fix what we find. Soon enough this car will be 100% rust free!

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Hmmmm more clean hands.....

The plot thickens

• Like 2

Simon managed to get the heater box out for me yesterday while I was at work (good lad). No rust there thank goodness!

Car is booked in next week to get the windscreen rust fixed so I can get the car back on the road hopefully next weekend.

Goals for this weekend:

Replace front brake hoses
Scuff out minor floor pan surface rust and seal
Rewire the head unit harness
Install map light mirror
Replace perished gasket on heater box and re install.
Make hands dirty

That will be a good start to getting the car back on the road!

Edit: Corrected my awful spelling.

Edited by Raerae
  • Like 1

Accomplished most of what I wanted or at least the important bits. Replaced the perished left front brake hose which needed doing though me being me I wanted to replace both the fronts with new ones at the same time. Tried to do the right side though the top nut is rounded so that's a job for another day. Also replaced the rear super lows with a not so low spring. Ride height seems great.

Bled the brakes and polished two wheels. With Simon's help replaced the gasket and heater box and tested for leaks. Not leaking there now yippee!

Though now leaking from somewhere behind the heatshield/around the steering column area. Put the "elephant trunk" back on and it stopped leaking... will be an investigation for another day as the engine is sort of in the way :(

Scuffed the rust on the floor pan and painted over it with rust kill stuff. Put the sunroof and windscreen back in place.

Now for the accelerator pedal and steering wheel to be put back and she will be off to the panel shop. Also fixed my indicator issue so they'll turn off themselves now!!
Goal for next weekend is to have her back on the road (and washed).

b05827c833bf661f75d2db1827ad80d8.jpg

9c3230a954badff548fbb08ee6b7c88b.jpg

aa7d78ce3d2138e87f4de86fc9fd9f62.jpg

Note that the "rust" colour on this last photo isn't from rust... mainly the glue to keep the sound deadening on.

Edited by Raerae
  • Like 4

Also, this is how my hands stay clean...

Posted Image

• Like 1

Back from the panel beaters with rust fixed. Graeme Hughes Panelbeaters on the North Shore. Highly recommend them!

Fingers crossed putting it all together this weekend goes without drama and maybe, just maybe it'll be on the road on Monday. Need some better lighting in the garage.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Great work, enjoyed following your journey thanks

• Like 1

So what a mission of a weekend that was!!

Started off with the headliner Saturday afternoon.. quite fiddly and patience is required. In the end we got it in and wow, she looks amazing now. I had forgotten what having a headlining looked like!

Posted Image

Finished off the afternoon putting the grab handles, sunvisors and rear interior light in place.

First thing this morning (yes in the frost) I got the car out in the morning sun and we positioned the dash. So much easier with the wind screen out!!

Posted Image

Gave it a nice shine up with this beeswax stuff I got for vinyl/leather/wood surfaces.

Posted Image

No matter what I do in this car however I always get followed..

Posted Image

Come mid afternoon putting the sunroof back we discovered that it's leaking. One of the guide rails is broken. Damn. Oh well... lots of cursing as this means I cant risk driving it just yet in the wet weather - especially with new headlining.

Went to start the car to move it back on the garage and what's this? It doesn't start. I knew it was low on gas but didn't realise it was THAT low. Off to the gas station and back and still no go. Sh*t.

Turned out Simon had fiddled around under the bonnet and left the TPS unplugged. Phew but really?! Guess we're even since I've done that before with the race car.

Managed to get the carpet in place, revacuumed, front seat and trims in place.

Posted Image

Either during the week or next weekend I need to:

Get the audio going correctly.

Place passanger trim pillar and passanger seat in.

Put passanger sun visor and remaining interior lights in.

Centre console put in place.

Glovebox area put back together.

A wash also though need to sort out the sunroof issue beforehand. May be that a new guide is needed.

At least the weather was good right?

• Like 4

Carpet die any time soon? and if you want rear leather seats try ebay.de.

I was considering carpet dying when the carpet was out but have been focused on putting the car back together. Eventually it will happen, probably in Summer when the weather is decent.

Have plans for the rear seats too, will get them redone locally but in what is a surprise :)

Decided to get stuck in after work on the car. Centre consoles in, passanger seat in.

Remembered that there was a fuse out (number 23).

Something is going on somewhere because the 7.5A fuse keeps blowing as soon as I put a new one in...

One step forward, two steps backwards.

Good progress, interesting seeing how it's all going, as I have to do all of this to my touring also.

So the headlining wasn't too much of a hassle? Looking at mine, and it will need to be done soonish.

• Like 1

Good progress, interesting seeing how it's all going, as I have to do all of this to my touring also.

So the headlining wasn't too much of a hassle? Looking at mine, and it will need to be done soonish.

Headlining was not a problem really. You have to make sure all the trim is removed holding it up. Was tricky reinstalling properly though as I needed about four of us to support it properly.

Finally sorted the fuse issue. Only took me almost ripping my hair out to do so.

Spot the issue.

Posted Image

When putting the plastic steering column shroud in place with dash installation, the wire got pinched. Everytime I went to attach the bottom shroud piece the fuse would blow again. All fixed now thank goodness.

Reinstalled glovebox tonight which was a mission without a decent work shop light.

Things left to do:

Stereo install

Aligning sunroof correctly

Meaning even though its pretty much all together I still cant risk it raining and ruining all this hard work.

Planning to do the above tomorrow after work.

Honestly, whoever thought it would be great having cars as a hobby is horribly wrong...

It will be so worth it once together though!!

• Like 1

Took her out for a drive tonight. Thought bugger it! Just round the block of course. After driving Simon's STI for the last month then jumping back into the Touring, you can certainly notice the difference. Less brake feel, boaty steering, different clutch feel. A few bunny hops I must admit! But I wouldn't dare give the E30 up.

Though with the luck I've had lately it's starting to feel that I should! Left low-beam headlight keeps blowing. Checked the fuse and that's fine, as soon as I put the new bulb in it blows. We will get there eventually with the car, but this is a big problem as I hate to be the one on the road with a bulb out.

Time to step back, breath a little then take another look on the weekend in daylight.

• Like 1

Finishing touches made and she's ready to be driven to work tomorrow!!

Finished installing the stereo, minus front left speaker not working. Not fussed with that at this stage though.

Sunroof trim installed though will be removed to be re upholstered in the coming month as well as the sunroof pilot guide being replaced.

Gave her a decent wash and quick interior vacuum.

Left low beam still keeps blowing but having a friend look at it on Wednesday night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm liking the current height in the rear though the front could come down a touch.

Next on the agenda:

Check out the tailgate area for signs of rust and fix. Can see some minor surface rust at the moment under the trim.

Sunroof trim to be redone.

Cambelt/waterpump service etc (probably around Christmas when I have two weeks off).

LSD install.

But in the interim the queen is out of her garage and her younger sister is now in ready for a spanner check, oil change and new brake pads for the upcoming season.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Fail.

Posted Image

You are having all the luck!

• Like 1

You are having all the luck!

I know right. I should share the luck!

Great to say that after worrying all night about the wet weather, I went out to the car this morning and she was bone dry inside with no condensation. Thank goodness!!

Also had a good friend source me a new muffler for it will no longer have that awful "fart cannon" drone.

• Like 2

I was wondering why I was loosing coolant, having to top up each week over the last few weeks. Thought here we go....
Turns out the heater hose wasn't tight enough. Now I have wet carpet again.... and another leak.
Any one experience rust around the thread that the glovebox bracket screws on to? I had noticed it prior but because it was so minor (And easy to get to), I hadn't thought anything of it at this stage. Turns out water is dribbling through there too.

Things I need to still do:
Put car back together
Muffler replacement, have the muffler already.
Work out why L low beam bulb blows straight away
Retrim sunroof headlining and gearboot
Install LSD
New IS side skirt and also new Reiger lip
Bigger engine?!

2016-07-31_16.11.00.jpg

• Like 1

Well it's been a while since I jumped on Bimmersport and not much has changed since last time apart from the car being back together entirely.

Muffler has since been replaced but knocks a little which is a tad annoying.
Headlight issue was sorted.
Fan speed resistor and fan itself has been replaced as it stopped working... after all that taking the entire heater box out.

Things that need to be done in the coming six weeks are:

Thermostat, water pump, timing belt, tensioner etc.
Rear wheel bearing replacement
Install new diff
Replace trailing arm bushes
Wheel alignment at some stage
Sunroof trim and sunroof fix (pilot guide is broken)

Ideally I would love to get the above all sorted prior to the Manfield round in October (Labour Weekend), so I can drive the beast down there as I won't be competing... Guess time will tell.

What was the headlight fault?